Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recently Watched Films

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 175176177178179 256>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2021 at 4:49am

This is was good. Real mess with head stuff. I've actually got the book of this, though have never read it. I probably will now.

I also went on a serious nostalgia kick last night, as well as revisiting a piece of animation history that I haven't seen since I was a little kid:

I'd forgotten how dark the imagery in this could actually be. Of course it is based on a Brothers Grimm tale, something I would have been unaware of growing up. The dialogue seems more than a little corny in 2021, and adult me doesn't care for musicals, but the animation still looks nice. 

When I was a kid, I never realised that this movie and others from Disney were as old as they were. As they often used to be shown in the local cinema, I just assumed that they were new movies. It was quite a shock when years later I first learned that this film was from 1937. 

I'm glad to have watched it again. Might have to have a look at a few more childhood favourites as well. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2021 at 8:31am

Bittersweet, but really good. A blind buy for me based on its reputation. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2021 at 12:42pm
A really refreshing sports movie. No sugar coating, no Hollywood happy ending. And Jonah Hill is brilliantly geeky.
Archisorcerus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2021 at 2:36am

The Devil's Carnival (2012) - A carnivalesque film. Relatively short, about 56 minutes. Nice! I'd notmally give it a 7/10, but I'll give it a 8/10 because it was an engaging musical for a person, like myself, who is not normally fond of such movies.

Vampire Circus (1972) - Another good and lesser known vampire movie from the English. It was very promising for some time, but gradually became rather bland. Still, some of its scenes were astonishing. 7.5/10

The Pagemaster (1994) - Who wouldn't like or love Macaulay Culkin? Aimed at the kid and teenager audience, but still decent enough for a mature person like myself. 7/10
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2021 at 2:46am
Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

The Pagemaster (1994) - Who wouldn't like or love Macaulay Culkin? Aimed at the kid and teenager audience, but still decent enough for a mature person like myself. 7/10

I adored this movie as a kid. I was quite surprised as an adult to learn how badly received it was. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2021 at 2:53am

Reports of this being a lion sized turd are greatly exaggerated. 

It's not as good as the original (the songs were definitely done better in the original), and it's definitely pointless and lacking any real identity from the original, but it's very far from a bad Disney movie. It's quite clear that the only reason people claim to hate this is because the original exists. I wonder how many of them actually watched it. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2021 at 4:05pm
Decided to keep going through some of the Disney classics:

I don't have as much nostalgia factor with Pinocchio. I know I must have seen it probably more than once, but I have no memory of actually owning it or if I did, then it wasn't a Disney film that I watched as often as others. A lot of the movie looked completely unfamiliar to me and didn't stir any fond memories. 

This was excellent. Really tense thriller. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2021 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Fuckin' put ya off ever going to the dentist again!Shocked
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2021 at 12:47am
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

Dead
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2021 at 8:43am

'Forget it. Jake. It's Chinatown'. Big smile
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2021 at 4:14pm
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2021 at 2:40am

Not seen this since I was a teenager. It hasn't aged particularly well. Melanie Griffith's acting is about as expressionless as the androids she's tracking down.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2021 at 12:07pm

Considered later day for Cagney's gangster turns, but from what I've seen this is his finest performance. Also one of those movies with a famous, but oft misquoted line: 'look Ma, top of the world!'

The actual line is 'Made it Ma. Top of the world!'.LOL

Completely off the wall and a fine performance from Paul Newman. 

Third time watching this one. A classic 40s noir/gangster thriller. Full of tension and great cast. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2021 at 5:45pm
Considered a bit racy and scandalous at the time it was made, this is actually pretty tame by today's standards. The opening sequence is Benny Hill without the scantily-clad women, and after that it's sort of a Georgian comedy of manners.
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2021 at 1:56am

Not seen this in a very long time. The premise to the story is silly, but there's some great mountain climbing action in it. And there's really not much more to say than that.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2021 at 4:27am
^ That's one Eastwood I've never seen. 

First part of a three week, three movie event from Netflix, based on an R. L. Stein. Definite Stranger Things vibes here, with the plot crossing slasher with supernatural horror. The teen characters are not as insufferable as in most such movies, perhaps because it's set in 1994 and not the present day. Overall it was much more solid than I expected. +bonus points for the Iron Maiden t-shirt and sound clip of Fear of the Dark. 

The original. Classic and important, but the 80s one with Al Pacino did surpass it in every way. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jul 2021 at 9:50am

Feels like John Landis tried to do with vampires what had previously worked well were werewolves in An American Werewolf in London, but the results aren't as good. Special effects are generally poor, giving the vampires ridiculous glowing eyes. The cross genre with a gangster film is an interesting idea but not executed as well as I'd have liked to have seen. Overall it was entertaining though. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 4:41pm

Funny as fuck! These guys were Riggs and Murtaugh before there was a Lethal Weapon. Car chases, car crashes, ridiculous shoot-outs, law-breaking in the name of the law, feuding partners, and large chunks of San Francisco demolished along the way. Alan Arkin and James Caan are brilliant together.
Archisorcerus View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archisorcerus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 10:42am
The Whisperer in Darkness (2011) - Well... I didn't like it for some reasons, the foremost of which is that it doesn't look like a movie shot in black-and-white, but rather the colouration (or the lack thereof) seems like it was applied via a programme. It would be better in full color, I think. The Color Out of Space (2019) was excellent, and this one would be better with a similar colouration IMO. Secondly, the protagonist is too annoying... Not a bad movie, I appreciated the effort and details, but still didn't like it. 5/10

P.S. Cool Air (1999) was the best Lovecraft adaptation that I've watched in B&W.

Edited by Shadowyzard - 06 Jul 2021 at 11:34am
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2021 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

That really is a horrific torture scene Shocked. I love the ending to the movie with the antagonist running through the jewish neighbourhood being recognised by the holocaust survivors. Powerful ending that one.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 175176177178179 256>
  Share Topic