Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recently Watched Films

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 162163164165166 256>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2021 at 3:45pm

Second one from the box set. Also excellent.
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 12:02am
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 12:49pm
Big movie, big cast (just look at the list of names!), big fuck up during World War II. Quite enjoyed it, but kept losing track of what was happening where. And Gene Hackman's Polish accent is interesting, to say the least.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 2:24pm

Japanese black comedy/satire about a man who builds a brothel empire. It's supposedly based on a real person, but I can't find anything online about the actual person. It's quite an entertaining, largely forgotten film, though the weakest of the so called Survivor Ballads released by Arrow recently, that includes Black Rain and The Ballad of Narayama. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2021 at 4:11pm

A surprising gem. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2021 at 9:26am

Third movie in the Six Gothic Tales box set and this time it's an anthology film and also one of the most solid ones I've ever seen. The highlight is the middle of the three, which is probably the best version of The Black Cat I've seen (and this is the fourth as it goes). 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2021 at 11:53am

The first stand-alone film following The Yakuza Papers saga. It's not as good, and it's confusing to follow with a lot of the same faces playing characters that are supposed to be different yet feel very similar to who they played in the main saga. Of the course the main saga had some of the same actors appearing in different roles in different films too, but it's worse here when you've got series lead Bunta Sugawara playing a different role that doesn't feel that different to the lead of the saga. 

Fourth film from the Six Gothic Tales set and it's a change of pace, being a comedy. It's the weakest movie so far, but still quite good and quirky. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2021 at 4:29pm

The second stand alone film is a massive improvement on the first. Now feels simply in spirit of the five film saga and not a complete re-hash. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 3:35pm

Movie five in the gothic horror box set. Despite being branded with Edgar Allan Poe all over it, this is actually adapted from H.P. Lovecraft. Like all these movies they are a bit of a product of their time, but have a great atmosphere. And I have really become quite the fan of Vincent Price while going through these. One more to go.

A bilingual Japanese-British prisoner of war movie with David Bowie. Pretty solid. 

And finally, a rare switch off that goes into the hells of 0.5 stars:

There are probably people out there who will think it's hilarious, but I had enough after about ten minutes. Utter garbage IMO. 
GG2U

Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2021 at 10:55pm
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2021 at 4:43am

The final film in the New Battles Without Honour and Humanity series and for me it's the one that stands out best from the main saga. 
GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2021 at 3:33pm
I read this book many years ago, and the film was pretty much like the book, as far as I remember. Neither were essential.
High-Rise Poster
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0462335/
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2021 at 3:53pm

The final film in the Six Gothic Tales box set and the only disappointing one. Really lacks the same kind of atmosphere as the others. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 7:11am

Hard to follow, uncompelling and boring and general all round crap. Thumbs Down
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 10:43am

Bong Joon-ho's debut feature. I don't think it's as accomplished as his later work, but it shows early promise. Though the dog lover in me is appalled of course. Dead
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2021 at 4:43pm

Wow.

This one has floored me so much that I'm breaking my rule of not giving five stars to movies after just one watch.

Completely lives up to the hype. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2021 at 9:07am

This is bloody brilliant. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2021 at 3:32pm

I have seen this one before, but it came over much better this time around thanks to better subtitling (when I first watched this, the subs were so ridiculously small that it was so difficult to read them). 

I also wasn't expecting this to come across as so relevant in the 2020s: if it wasn't from 2006 I'd swear this was secretly Covid satire. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2021 at 12:41am
I have no fucking idea what was happening through almost this entire movie, but I don't care. Loved it! Amazing settings and characters, great action sequences, and confusing as fuck. Best to just let it wash over me...
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2021 at 8:09am
I believe I have found the single most mistagged movie in the whole of RYM:

So you know what that means...

RYM Satire!

Yakuza Law: An anthology film of three stories set in three period of Japanese history, each dealing with how the Yakuza punish those who break their internal codes.

RYM Genre Police: This is just a Gangster/Crime film, not a Yakuza film. 

Yakuza Law: The first story takes place in the Edo period.

RYM Genre Police: This is just a plain Period Drama. Jidaigekiwhat?

Yakuza Law: The first story contains a bloody Samurai swordfight as the Yakuza bring down vengeance on one of their own.

RYM Genre Police: Splatter must surely be a primary genre for the entire film. Also must be a full Action movie.

I don't believe a single person before me who voted on this movie actually watched it. 
GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 162163164165166 256>
  Share Topic