Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recently Watched Films

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 138139140141142 256>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 2:34pm

One of the longest movies (though not the longest) I've seen at almost four hours, certainly one of the weirdest and perhaps the film that left me with the most mixed feelings of any film ever. Equal parts strangely compelling, awkward viewing & disturbing, perhaps with a dash of genius diluted by how appalled the movie often made me feel. I'm not sure any country other than Japan could put this out and get away with it, or maybe it's just changing times and attitudes even from 2009 to now, though if that's the case it's continual high regard seems like the biggest hypocritical acclaim ever, given how this basically glorifies voyeurism in the form of upskirt photography. Watching this in 2020 after the rise of things like the Me Too movement raising awareness of sexual abuse and mistreatment of women make this very hard to enjoy. I admit to being oddly transfixed by this in spite of the long running time, but I also spent most of it horrified by the content. That this is in the top 100 of all time on RYM really says something about that community. 

Felt a little like it wasn't quite sure what it wanted to be, but it was actually really good as a comedy focussed more on the banter between the two leads, rather than the actual story being followed (this is listed as horror online but it isn't really, though fantasy is appropriate). 

My first Polish film (I think?). I was a bit sceptical going into this one, but it turned out very compelling. A very complex film built up on stories within stories that are within more stories that are themselves in stories (you get the idea), so it's fucking difficult to remember on what layer you're on most of the time, especially in the second half. I really liked it though. Thought it would end up being more arty farty than it was, which was to its credit. Not sure why RYM thinks it's a comedy though. Maybe I lost something in translation but there were only a few times that felt the least bit humorous to me. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 11:16pm
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2020 at 1:21am
James Bond vs James T. Kirk #10&11

Um, is it a spoiler to say they found him?

OK, the Thunderbirds had more convincing spaceships, but this features Blofeld, who goes full Dr. Evil.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2020 at 2:28pm

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2020 at 8:45pm
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2020 at 10:35pm

I actually loved this movie so much.  Great soundtrack.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 12:25pm

RYM Satire time:

Captain Phillips, a biographical movie telling the tale of modern day pirates, who attack a cargo ship and subsequently kidnap the captain.

RYM Genre Police: This is not a biopic, or a crime movie!
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 1:58pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

RYM Satire time:

Captain Phillips, a biographical movie telling the tale of modern day pirates, who attack a cargo ship and subsequently kidnap the captain.

RYM Genre Police: This is not a biopic, or a crime movie!

What sort of genre do these dumbasses suggest instead?
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 2:40pm
For that one, just Thriller as primary. Drama and Survival as secondary. I added Crime as a primary, but some twit will shoot it down quicker than you can say 'piracy is a crime'. If there's one thing RYM hates it's someone trying to add a new genre tag years after release. The exception being a new tag which they'll vote willy-nilly with no consideration instead. Like how Alien Invasion has shown up on movies with one lone alien in them (Alien: check; Invasion, check a dictionary) or in movies better described as first contact scenarios. Or Post-Metal on albums they previously declared weren't metal. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 4:35pm
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 2:05pm

Started promising, but this three hour film soon devolved into a complete snoozefest. Overrated as fuck. Looked at how long I had left at one point and saw that it still had over an hour on the clock. I really lost interest at that point. Saw it through due to how far in I was already, but this ended up one of those like watching paint dry experiences. No wonder RYM loves it. 

I've also seen Fellini's 8 1/2 and didn't mind it but wasn't blown away. I don't expect to be trying any more of his films in a hurry (if ever). 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2020 at 8:51am

And a re-watch, which was almost like seeing it for the first time as it has been a lot of years since I last saw this movie, despite owning it all that time:

I think I enjoyed this more because I have a stronger knowledge of classic horror movies now, which I didn't when I saw this the first time around. I get the references now. 

Edited by adg211288 - 03 Dec 2020 at 8:52am
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2020 at 9:20pm

Argento was just the right amount of crazy when he made this one 
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2020 at 6:23am
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Argento was just the right amount of crazy when he made this one 

Just watched this one myself, thanks to this reminder about it. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2020 at 6:25am

For a film that so intentionally rehashes the first one to the point that the first one has been made into a film within the film, Scream 2 is pretty good and like the first one, better than I remember it. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2020 at 10:38am

Okay so on one hand I don't think this is half as bad as some may make it out to be and it does make interesting reading on Wikipedia to see how post-Weinstein people suddenly realised that this movie was calling out that kind of crap, but the whole idea seems to have lost some steam at this point. It's a rehash of a rehash and it's not surprising that it was over ten years before Scream 4, a movie that felt completely unnecessary to me when I first saw it and I don't feel any desire to see it again (not that I even own it). 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2020 at 4:03pm

Citizen Kane is not a movie that blew me away when I saw it (though I may watch it again because of this); I watched this because I do like David Fincher as a director. This is his first feature film since Gone Girl in 2014. Doubtful that this will go down with Se7en and Fight Club (or even The Social Network) as an all time great, but it was pretty decent, though not the best movie to present a behind the scenes look at Golden Age Hollywood (that would probably have to be Trumbo). 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2020 at 4:23pm

overrated, not very interesting once you figure out what's going on 15 minutes in
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2020 at 3:01am
I didn't care for [REC]. I don't like the found footage format in general, though there have been a few movies that worked for me in the way they conveyed tension. [REC], in spite of its reputation as one of the better ones, isn't one of them that works for me. Can't even remember why now, that's how much of an impression the movie made on me. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2020 at 12:56pm
I get why it would appeal to the kind of chimps who review movies on IMDB, but yeah it's really generic
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 138139140141142 256>
  Share Topic