Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recently Watched Films

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 134135136137138 256>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 2:38am
Watched this for the first time in years. It's dated a bit, but has some excellent commentary on racism.
And Charlton Heston seemed like he really didn't want to be filming this movie at all...

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2020 at 5:01am
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 1:16pm
Two more days in on the horror re-watch project:

Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2020 at 3:25pm
Another anime:

Not on Ghibli level but pretty solid and here comes another entry in RYM satire:

Wolf Children, dealing with a human mother trying to raise her werewolf children, chronically both her struggles and their own being torn between human and wolf identity.

RYM Genre Police: not primarily a werewolf movie!
GG2U

TheHeavyMetalCat View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Black and Death Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheHeavyMetalCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 7:02am
^ LOL

RYM seems to have real issues with genres on anime movies.

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 7:15am
RYM has real issues with genres full stop. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2020 at 4:00pm
Today's horror re-watch movie:

Definitely my preferred version.

And one more anime:

And true to form we need another RYM satire:

Summer Wars, a complex VR based sci-fi film that includes themes of imminent nuclear Armageddon and dialogue like:

Kid: What are you looking at Uncle?
Uncle: A women with big boobs.

RYM Genre Police: This is obviously a family movie. 

Edited by adg211288 - 19 Oct 2020 at 4:00pm
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2020 at 2:08pm
Horror re-watches, Days 20 & 21:

Okay so going to have to say it, not the easiest thing to hold up to a third re-watch these silent movies. Still iconic, still a silent masterpiece, but it will be a while before I want to view it again. 

This is one messed up movie even for horror. Often see it on List Challenges lists with a theme of 'movies you'll never watch twice'. Not sure what that says about me since this was my second time and those lists also contain movies like Requiem for a Dream, which I have also watched twice already. Ermm
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2020 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

Watched this for the first time in years. It's dated a bit, but has some excellent commentary on racism.
And Charlton Heston seemed like he really didn't want to be filming this movie at all...

I loved this one when I saw it for the first time a couple of years ago. Knew the ending already, too much in pop culture to avoid (not to mention this poster which is a massive spoiler unto itself). The effects are obviously way better in the new ones (which I also liked) but I do think this is the best Apes film. I've not seen any of it's original sequels yet (I've had the second one recorded off the TV for over a year and not watched it yet for some reason). 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2020 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

I loved this one when I saw it for the first time a couple of years ago. Knew the ending already, too much in pop culture to avoid (not to mention this poster which is a massive spoiler unto itself). The effects are obviously way better in the new ones (which I also liked) but I do think this is the best Apes film. I've not seen any of it's original sequels yet (I've had the second one recorded off the TV for over a year and not watched it yet for some reason). 

I saw all the sequels as a teenager, but don't remember them that well now. Escape From The Planet of the Apes was my favourite of them (movie #3). I also vaguely remember the TV series from when I was a kid.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2020 at 3:36pm
The horror re-watch project enters it's final week and I'm actually still on track for one movie a day:

Definitely up there with my all time favourites. 

Honestly not Bava's best work, but I'm generally finding him inferior to Argento on these re-watches. This one really does merge giallo with slasher so it's a bit more of an obvious gorefest and lacking in intrigue. 

Third watch on this already. Still a captivating movie. 

New films seen between these:

Feels odd to have missed this up until this point. Didn't find them that great really; the second was an improvement on the first.

My first Indian film and a really solid fantasy horror told in three chapters set in 1918, 1932 and 1947. 

Was billed on Prime as a psychological thriller but it turned out to actually be a melodrama, though as its a Korean film it's still pretty messed up in places. The final scene is just plain weird. 

Another missing classic finally seen. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2020 at 9:31pm

Also not long seen this for the first time. The ending seemed like it was a bit "We're out of ideas. How the hell do we end this thing?"

Just watching this:

Funniest quote: "The policeman's trousers were found in a ditch a mile away."
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 8:25pm
First watched some of this quite some years back. For such a low budget piss take, it was quite an influential film. It introduced the concept of "dirty space", where spaceships weren't pristine, and space farers were unkempt and scruffy, because space is big and boring.

Also, don't try reasoning with a smart bomb...
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 9:10pm
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 10:40am

Also not long seen this for the first time. The ending seemed like it was a bit "We're out of ideas. How the hell do we end this thing?"

Funny, the further into this I got my exact thoughts were 'how the hell will this end?'
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 10:55am
Horror re-watches, days 25 & 26:

Both of these were better on the second viewing, though with the case of Us it's more because I wasn't half asleep this time around. Mandy genuinely improved on the second go around. 

One more unrelated re-watch:

The first time I saw this the quality was poor and I was forced to watch it through my PC. This time I was able to see it in HD with decent subtitling and on an actual TV screen. It was a much more enjoyable experience that way. 

New films watched:

Very average but watchable Viking movie. 

Another missing classic down. Really enjoyed it. For years I thought this was more family friendly than it actually is for some reason. 

I find Randolph westerns hit and miss, but I liked this one. Surprised by its general lower rating. 

Good Eastwood action movie, stretches plausibility hell of a lot though. 
GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 12:28pm

Good Eastwood action movie, stretches plausibility hell of a lot though. 

I love the stupid over-the-top shoot-ups in this movie. It's one of those ones where you disengage your brain and just enjoy the action. The female star Sondra Locke was actually Clint Eastwood's missus, and a reasonably notable actress in her own right. This was originally going to star Steve McQueen and Barbra Streisand, which would have been awful! 
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 7:53pm
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 6:58am
Horror re-watch, day 27:

Actually a giallo, but could easily also be called a slasher. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2020 at 6:31pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 134135136137138 256>
  Share Topic