Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recently Watched Films

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 128129130131132 256>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 5:17pm
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 8:27pm
speaking of movies that didn't need to be remade...

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 11:35pm

Good movie, but the soundtrack is so bad that I will probably watch it on mute with subtitles next time
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 1:47pm
Entertaining and nicely violent as expected, but there are ultimately too many clichés in the story for it to reach excellence. I´ll look forward to number 2 though.
The Old Guard Poster

Edited by UMUR - 19 Jul 2020 at 1:47pm
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 4:21pm
Watched this one Again after many years since the last time, and it´s still a pretty good movie, although the effects aren´t that great by today´s standards, and there are other 80s clichés there too, which aren´t that great either.
Highlander - den udødelige Poster
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2020 at 1:34am
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2020 at 3:25pm

Like Fawlty Towers on steroids. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2020 at 6:08pm
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

speaking of movies that didn't need to be remade...

I watched this a few months ago. Not as good as i had hoped but i LOOOOVE the soundtrack. Goblin is one of my favorite creepy prog bands.

Have been watching the original STAR WARS trilogy . It's been a long time.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 5:53am
Been meaning to re-watch Suspiria as part of my Argento re-run. Been a while since I did a movie though as I had other things to watch as more of a priority. I liked the movie though my favourite Argento's on first watch were Deep Red and Tenebre. Phenomena was pretty good too, actually already seen that one twice. Though I may be bias, since it uses Iron Maiden's Flash of the Blade in a couple of sequences. 

I have seen the remake Suspiria twice and also like it a lot. I think it comes into its own compared to the original while still being somewhat faithful. Which is what it needed to do, IMO. True pointless remakes are the ones that just go shot for shot of the original, like the Pyscho remake. 

If you like Italian horror /giallo movies, make sure you've also seen the work of Mario Bava, whose work I also want to give a second watch to already. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 10:38am
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

I watched this a few months ago. Not as good as i had hoped but i LOOOOVE the soundtrack. Goblin is one of my favorite creepy prog bands.

Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Been meaning to re-watch Suspiria as part of my Argento re-run. Been a while since I did a movie though as I had other things to watch as more of a priority. I liked the movie though my favourite Argento's on first watch were Deep Red and Tenebre. Phenomena was pretty good too, actually already seen that one twice. Though I may be bias, since it uses Iron Maiden's Flash of the Blade in a couple of sequences. 

It's one of my absolute favourites.  I think moreso with Suspiria than any of his other movies, Argento captured this sort of magic that only works in the medium of film.  Very few movies genuinely feel like a dream the way Suspiria does. FWIW I find the Italian dub to have much better voice acting than the English, which helps the movie a lot.

I haven't seen Tenebre yet but that's up next

Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

I have seen the remake Suspiria twice and also like it a lot. I think it comes into its own compared to the original while still being somewhat faithful. Which is what it needed to do, IMO. True pointless remakes are the ones that just go shot for shot of the original, like the Pyscho remake. 

If you like Italian horror /giallo movies, make sure you've also seen the work of Mario Bava, whose work I also want to give a second watch to already. 

I've got a few of Bava's but haven't had time to watch yet, first will be Planet of the Vampires
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 11:27am

FWIW I find the Italian dub to have much better voice acting than the English, which helps the movie a lot.

I always prefer to watch foreign movies in the original language. It just feels more authentic. Though not always for Italian movies as they had a habit of filming silent with a multi-national cast so there's always someone being dubbed over. 

I saw Suspiria in English because I think that was the only option on Amazon. Most of the others were on whatever the blu-rays defaulted to, which could go either way. On my re-watches I've been making an effort to watch in the other dud than I did the first time to see how they compare. I did that with The Bird With the Crystal Plumage and The Cat O Nine Tails so far.

I've got a few of Bava's but haven't had time to watch yet, first will be Planet of the Vampires

I haven't actually seen that one. Unfortunately it doesn't look to have a UK release. 

I've seen most my Argento and Bava films (along with other giallo) through Arrow Video blu-ray releases. They do have some gaps in the filmographies though, some of which you can get under other brandings but some like the above are just completely unavailable. 
GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2020 at 1:50pm
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 1:30am
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 12:27am
I still like this one:
Døden løber løbsk Poster
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 12:28am
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2020 at 8:34pm
I've been behind on updating this thread

Miracle Mile (1988)

The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974)

Sanatorium pod klepsydra (1973)

Terrore nello spazio (1965)

Edited by Triceratopsoil - 06 Aug 2020 at 10:46pm
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2020 at 12:12am
Brandon Lee in The Crow (1994)
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2020 at 11:48pm
Nightbreed (1990)

meh
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 3:46am
Some recent highlights, not in viewing order.

GG2U

Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vim Fuego Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2020 at 4:20pm
Watched this last night. While it takes a few liberties, I loved it!

(For some context on me and motor racing, I'm named after my father's uncle Pat Hoare, who knew Enzo Ferrari personally, and somewhat mysteriously. He drove Ferraris in the 1950s and 60s, and competed in several NZ grands prix. He died the year before I was born.)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 128129130131132 256>
  Share Topic