Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recently Watched Films

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 106107108109110 256>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 11:40am
Eh, no I wasn´t too thrilled with this end to the mighty Wolverine:
Hugh Jackman, Ryan Sturz, and Anthony Escobar in Logan (2017)
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 11:44am
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 11:47am
Entertaining, but definitely not without flaws:
Will Smith, Jared Leto, Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, Adam Beach, Viola Davis, Jay Hernandez, Joel Kinnaman, Jai Courtney, Margot Robbie, Cara Delevingne, and Karen Fukuhara in Suicide Squad (2016)

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 4:07pm
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

I really enjoyed this one. It´s apparently pretty low budget, but I found it both beautiful and thrilling:
Pedro Pascal, Jay Duplass, Sophie Thatcher, and Ben Little in Prospect (2018)

I liked this one too. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2019 at 4:08pm

Pretty nasty really, but somehow a bit fascinating too:
High Life (2018)

I want to see this one. It wasn't released here in the UK in cinema until I think May this year and it's not out on DVD/Blu-Ray until September. I'll be hoping to pick this one up late in the year.
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2019 at 2:02pm
Last 10; took me longer to accumulate this lot than has been my usual. 

Captain Marvel (2019)
The Hurt Locker (2008)
Elizabeth Harvest (2018)
El Ardor (AKA The Burning) (2014)
Logan's Run (1976)
Crossfire (1947)
Hideaway (1995)
The City of Lost Children (1995)
The Long Kiss Goodnight (1996)
The Tenant (1979)

My favourite here was The City of Lost Children. It reminds me of the kind of thing del Toro does. Also excellent film were Captain Marvel (much better than many are giving it credit for IMO; a very fun movie), Hurt Locker, Logan's Run (finally seen this after years of interest following Star One's song about it), Crossfire and The Long Kiss Goodnight. I know that The Tenant is pretty well regarded but I found the movie just too downright weird and hard to follow for its own good and Polanski as an uncompelling actor. I can't say I enjoyed it very much. Hideaway wasn't anything special either.
GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2019 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Pretty nasty really, but somehow a bit fascinating too:
High Life (2018)

I want to see this one. It wasn't released here in the UK in cinema until I think May this year and it's not out on DVD/Blu-Ray until September. I'll be hoping to pick this one up late in the year.

As I wrote above it´s pretty nasty at times, but also pretty weird and almost psychadelic tinged like Space Odyssey or something like that. Not my favorite movie but still interesting.
Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2019 at 1:04pm
Watched a classic recently:

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2019 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by Psydye Psydye wrote:

I still love this one, and the sequel is actually pretty nice too. I wouldn´t go further than the first two though, as further sequels in the series become poorer and poorer.

Edited by UMUR - 25 Jul 2019 at 4:40pm
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2019 at 12:01am
Another last 10, but these are all re-watches:

Back to the Future (1985)
Attack the Block (2011)
Back to the Future Part II (1989)
Taxi Driver (1976)
Back to the Future Part III (1990)
Troll Hunter (2010)
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire (2013)
Prometheus (2012)
Pulp Fiction (1994)
Django Unchained (2012)

All re-watched on blu-ray. 
GG2U

Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2019 at 9:00am

Originally posted by Psydye Psydye wrote:

I still love this one, and the sequel is actually pretty nice too. I wouldn´t go further than the first two though, as further sequels in the series become poorer and poorer.

Tell me about it! I think the first half of the third is alright but then it gets cheesy! The fourth is decent and from there on it just sucks!
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 12:00pm
Been a little while since I posted a last for first time viewings due to doing more re-watches and I also had my head in Stieg Larsson's Millennium books (best, most page turning books I've read for ages) which has slowed my movie intake. But here's the next last ten:

Clash by Night (1952)

A Fritz Lang film I could only see through an internet upload. Like many it just doesn't seem to have ever been made available to UK audiences, at least not in the modern age of streaming and DVD/Blu-Ray media. 

Hard Eight (1996)

Early Paul Thomas Anderson. Not his best but still pretty good.

The Taking of Pelham One Two Three (1974)

I liked this one a lot but the DVD is pretty fucked up. It's presented in a wide screen aspect ratio then squashed down to fit an old 4:3 screen. It's the second DVD I've had which has been like this, the other being the original Invasion of the Body Snatchers. I was able to watch OK by zooming, otherwise the thing was un-watchable. 

Glory (1989)

This was an excellent war film. 

The Thing From Another World (1951)

I prefer Carpenter's The Thing, but this old B&W version was actually quite enjoyable too.

Run All Night (2015)

Another great Liam Neeson led thriller. 

A Bay of Blood (1971)

Pretty good giallo movie. 

Brute Force (1947)

This one really lived up to its name. Some pretty brutal stuff for 1947. 

The Girl Who Knew Too Much (1963)

The first giallo, according to some sources. Very Hitchcockian I thought. I watched the Italian version but I will probably re-watch sooner rather than later the English language Evil Eye version that many say is actually the better cut. 

Nebraska (2013)

I loved this film. Very quirky. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 2:25pm
Going back to posters now I've slowed a little on the new movies:

Made me jump more often than any horror movie to be honest. Playing the game The Long Dark is like this movie. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2019 at 3:55pm

A faithful remake and I'd probably have thought higher of it if I hadn't seen Fritz Lang's original but as it is, it's not really a patch on it. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2019 at 5:10am

Solid enough action crime thriller. Not anywhere near as bad as some make it out to be. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Aug 2019 at 11:14am

I don't think it needed to be close to three hours long but overall a solid western drama. 

Edited by adg211288 - 03 Aug 2019 at 11:49am
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2019 at 11:59am

A quite good noir but not as good as the others I've seen by the director.

Better than it's reputation IMO.

It's the kind of generic action thriller that people like to hate on the basis that it's a generic action thriller, ignoring that it's actually a less of a rehash for the particular franchise than the second one was. 

Neo-western drama. Solid I guess, but I didn't find it one of the better works from John Huston.

To be honest apart from the franchise reference my comment on Taken 3 applies here too. It's also by the director of the first Taken, so there are plenty of style similarities. I personally found it a decent film.

Less historically accurate but more entertaining Jesse James movie than the severely overrated one with Brad Pitt. 

Hitchcock silent - actually the only silent film of his I was interested in. It can rightly be called the birth of a legacy. 

I don't really do political movies but I really enjoyed this one. A real powerhouse performance from Jessica Chastain. 

Edited by adg211288 - 06 Aug 2019 at 12:00pm
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2019 at 1:30pm

You know I think Lee Van Cleef deserves to be the true King of the Spaghetti Western. Eastwood is great and obviously the trilogy with him is the genre's pinnacle, but Van Cleef is in two of those as well and did so many more excellent movies like this one. 

Great gangster movie. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Aug 2019 at 12:05pm

Disturbing giallo film. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2019 at 1:02am

It's not too bad but I prefer my sci-fi films to be a bit more exciting than this. 

Bit of a weird one actually. Up to a point it plays as you'd expect following the prior Jesse James film, then Frank's trial starts and it turns into a comedy legal drama. 

I might have enjoyed it more if the only way to watch it in the UK hadn't been an internet upload in low quality. 
GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 106107108109110 256>
  Share Topic