Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recently Watched Films

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 102103104105106 256>
Author
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2019 at 8:15am

A solid John Ford 40's western, though I don't see how any can rate this as better as some of his other work like The Searchers and Fort Apache. 

Unusual movie for Eastwood to have directed. Solid but too long, it's not one I can see myself watching again in a hurry, if ever. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2019 at 10:56am

Very good film noir.

1930's gothic horror film, once thought lost. Pretty decent, actually, in spite of it's age. 

Howard Hawks western. I expected something more compelling given his other work in the genre both before and after this was made, but it struct me as a very average movie throughout. Didn't help that the picture quality was bloody awful.
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 9:48am

Generic story but solidly performed B&W western with Robert Mitchum. 

Takes too long to get going but very good once it does. 

Wasn't sure if this would be my cup of tea - drawn to it on account of it being from Howard Hawks. Pleasantly surprised, though the sound quality on my DVD copy was bloody crap. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 1:55pm

Re-watch. Think I sold this one a little short the first time around. I'd actually say it's a slasher gem. Plenty of gory action, darkly comic elements, and a story which involves a reason for the carnage that ensues beyond the typical mental patient / inbred hicks type storylines slashers often have.
GG2U

DippoMagoo View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Goth & Symph, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 2:11pm
^Sounds interesting. I had a period years ago where I watched a bunch of slashers, but I haven't done so in a long time, so I wonder if I'd even still like them anymore. I might give that one a try at some point, though. I know I have Jigsaw to watch, at some point, through the same online channel I'm using for HBO, so that should give me an idea of whether or not I still have any enjoyment for the genre (I've seen all other Saw movies, so I kinda have to watch that one, even if it sucks.)
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 2:40pm
I was pleasantly surprised by Jigsaw (not that there's anything 'pleasant' about it LOL). It was thoroughly unnecessary to have been made at all though. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2019 at 3:05pm
I've been binging movies since Friday since we're dumping Sky soon and I'd got quite a few films recorded that I needed to clear. Plus a few watched on DVD or streaming between those. Skipping the images due the amount to list:

Yardie (2018) - Directorial debut of Idris Elba. Very solid crime drama bordering on a gangster movie. 

Black Mass (2015) - Gangster biopic with Johnny Depp. Very good I thought. 

Too Late for Tears (1949) - This noir failed to be impress me. The film quality on Prime was god-awful. Very B grade all round.

3 Godfathers (1948) - Quite entertaining John Ford western. Some parts dragged slightly, but overall I found it quite a unique entry in his western filmography. More comedic and is probably the closest thing to a Christmas western that exists. 

Bite the Bullet (1975) - Unusual western about an endurance horse race. 

Ride Lonesome (1959) - this western seemed very average to me. 

Duel at Diablo (1966) - Pretty good western and a rare one with a black co-lead actor. 

Stake Land (2010) - vampire movie. Though everything feels very B movie about it, it was actually pretty solid. 

Gun Crazy (1950) - film noir. It's not about Bonnie and Clyde but it's clearly based on them, except the man is a pacifist. Very good film. 

Two Rode Together (1961) - Another John Ford western. This one has James Stewart in what in my experience with his films is a rare less sympathetic role. 

The Roaring Twenties (1939) - Very good prohibition gangster film.

The Furies (1950) - Brilliant Anthony Mann western. Glad it was shown on TV because I couldn't find a DVD to exist for this one at all. A shame, it's a real gem.

Force Majeure (2014) - darkly comic psychological drama. There's some English, but it's mostly a subtitled film. Even so, very funny despite the language barrier. Tormund from Game of Thrones plays a major supporting role. 

Wild Bill (1995) - Oddly done biopic western. I liked it more than most seem to however. 

Stake Land 2: The Stakelander (2016) - Not as good as the first one and to be honest I have a pet peeve with sequels which ruin the prior film's happy ending.

Snowpiercer (2013) - This elusive movie finally appears in the UK. Actually, it's been available to buy digital on Amazon since last year, but that's still a five year wait for this one to be released in the UK. Luckily Netflix now has it for streaming. It's a gem, though the ending unfortunately diminished it for me slightly. 
GG2U

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2019 at 11:18pm
Sean Astin, Noel Appleby, and Ali Astin in The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0167260/

Finished the trilogy with my son last night. We watched the extented director´s version of this one, and I felt it was unnecessarily long, and I didn´t miss any of the cut scenes from the regular length version.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 2:41am
Cold Mountain (2003) - I really liked this one. Very compelling in spite of the long length.

The Hallelujah Trail (1965) - Hard to believe that John Sturges of great westerns such as The Magnificent Seven and Bad Day at Black Rock directed this. It is a comedy western and does have some amusing moments but is far too long to be truly effective (over 2 and a half hours). Maybe it's just aged badly. I didn't care for Blazing Saddles either.

The Bridge on the River Kwai (1957) - Brilliant. This is how you do a long film the right way. Rivals Apocalypse Now as my favourite war film. 

The Predator (2018) - Another very definition of unnecessary, but I did enjoy this action sci-fi for what it was. Not sure why they keep insisting on making new films in this franchise though: nothing is ever likely to better the original. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 2:09am
Well behind again:

Panic in the Streets (1950) - Good film noir. I was going to watch it on Prime but the quality was atrocious so I found it on a video website and watched it in HD instead. Go figure. Not such why old movies look worse than they should do on Prime, but they do.

Berberian Sound Studio (2012) - really weird horror movies with Toby Jones. 

A Dark Song (2017) - Okay horror movie. Has a better rep than I felt it should do.

Last Man Standing (1996) - Official remake of the Japanese movie that A Fistful of Dollars was ripped from. Despite this it's easy to think of it as a Fistful remake due to still looking and feeling like a western despite that it's supposed to be a gangster movie version. Anyway it fails to be as compelling as Fistful.

The Blue Gardenia (1953) - Fritz Lang film noir. While it's not Big Heat or Scarlet Street, it's pretty solid.

Paths of Glory (1957) - Brilliant film, definitely one of the better Kubrick's.

Sweet Smell of Success (1957) - a more drama based film noir, but very good. 

Prizzi's Honor (1985) - Not as funny as expected and I didn't like the ending, but I mostly enjoyed this John Huston gangster movie.

Sirocco (1951) - Lesser known Bogart movie that mixes noir, crime and war themes. It's pretty solid but hardly essential.

The Lost Weekend (1945) - Billy Wilder movie about alcoholism. A masterpiece IMO. 

Sudden Fear (1952) - Solid film noir.

Mojave (2015) - Largely uninspiring thriller. So much wasted potential in this one.

Escape From Fort Bravo (1953) - Very average western. Plays like a soppy romance for a good chunk then turns into a generic 'enemies united in face of Indian attack' fare. Waste of time. 

Cape Fear (1962) - As much as I hare to admit it as a big Scorsese fan, this original Cape Fear probably has the edge on his 1991 version.

Lifeboat (1944) - Another Hitchcock movie off the list. Been trying to see this one for a while; it's more obscure to find than most. While it's not his best work it's a solid film, set in WW2 while WW2 was still on-going. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 5:45am
Going to try to stay on top of this now:

A must see 40's comedy. The Coen Brothers took the name of their O Brother Where Art Thou? film from this movie and the two complement each other well.

Excellent Philip Marlowe film noir. Bogart's portrayal of the character in The Big Sleep is probably more famous, but I enjoyed Dick Powell in the role here a lot too.

There's about five gangster movies from the 1930s that are generally deemed to be essential. This is the third I've seen along with Scarface and The Roaring Twenties. Just The Public Enemy and Little Caesar to go. This one is essential IMO. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 11:23am

Solid western. 

While best known as a romance, like Casablanca it's also a wartime movie. An essential companion to that film IMO.

One of Fritz Lang's three westerns. Very good; actually the first western I've seen Randolph Scott in that I've really liked. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 1:15pm

My first silent film and also takes over as the oldest film I've seen. In some ways it seems pretty corny, but it's also impossible not to be wowed by the fact that this was released in 1927 and I also cannot say for a minute that I wasn't entertained in spite of the long length (I have the restored 2.5 hour version), though I was forced to watch it in three instalments between last night and this morning, taking breaks to keep up with shows live on TV and then because I simply couldn't say awake to finish it, but I don't think it would have been hard to watch it one sitting otherwise. What started as something I felt obliged to watch in order to call myself a self-respecting sci-fi fan quickly turned into a movie I was floored by. Everyone should see this, though make sure you see the restore 2010 version of course!

Bogart's penultimate movie. Great home invasion thriller/noir. Could have been really brutal had the Hollywood Production Code not still be in force at the time. 

Re-watch on a remastered DVD. Honesty don't recall if the version I originally watched on Amazon was the same or any worse, but this was a very good copy. A must for film noir and/or Fritz Lang fans. 
GG2U

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 1:29pm
I saw all of Metropolis in one sitting a few years ago, and thought it was brilliant! It had really great imagery and ideas, considering how old it is.
Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psydye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 1:37pm
Metropolis is a movie I've been curious about for some time now! Definitely gonna check it out! Also, on the subject of really old movies I suggest checking out Das Cabinet des Dr. Caligari/The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari. Interesting art film from 1920!
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 1:39pm
This one had potential, but ultimately I didn´t like it much. The ending was too fast and very Little was explained. It didn´t Work:
Forest Whitaker and Theo James in How It Ends (2018)
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DippoMagoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 1:50pm
^Yeah, I'm interested in that one, but I've heard a bunch of people say, by far the worst thing about it, is........ How it Ends LOL
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by Psydye Psydye wrote:

Metropolis is a movie I've been curious about for some time now! Definitely gonna check it out! Also, on the subject of really old movies I suggest checking out Das Cabinet des Dr. Caligari/The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari. Interesting art film from 1920!

Yeah that's definitely one I'd like to see. Metropolis has certainly opened up my interest in the silent era. The next one I watch will probably be Lang's Dr. Mabuse, der Spieler, which I've purchased just today in a boxset with the other two films of the trilogy. Going to be an interesting watch, not least because it's nearly five hours long!
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 4:27pm

Brilliant. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2019 at 6:24am

Anthony Mann is likely not the best remembered director of westerns from the classic era, perhaps because he never directed John Wayne, but I personally feel that he should be ranked alongside John Ford and Howard Hawks (who actually directed relatively few westerns). This is a another very good one with James Stewart as the lead. The only Stewart/Mann western I've not seen now is The Naked Spur, which oddly cannot be bought on a genuine UK DVD (or blu-ray it seems) for love nor money. 

Very early (1940) film noir. If RYM has its dates right it's actually only the fourth film noir to have been released. While this one does tend toward the melodramatic than I really care for (especially Bette Davis), it's essential viewing. Great work with the shadows. 
GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 102103104105106 256>
  Share Topic