Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recently Watched Films

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6364656667 256>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2018 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Originally posted by LittleBig LittleBig wrote:

Blade Runner 2049
An unnecessary sequel if you ask me, some movies should not be touched, messed with. Yes, visually it's great but that's all. I read that the director was initially unwilling to participate but joined because he thought the script was great. So did Harrison Ford. Really? I thought the story line was weak. 

I must be getting old and grumpy or something, I dunno...
Nope I agree...hmm...maybe I´m getting old and grumpy too Tongue

I thought I was getting old and grumpy, but I loved it.LOL

Have you seen the original (well, I bet you have). I for one cannot help but compare the two, hence my disappointment. 
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2018 at 2:06pm
Might watch a film tonight (don't know what yet), or may just watch two or three more episodes of Weeds. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2018 at 3:44pm
keefer1970 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keefer1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2018 at 1:48pm
Zombieland (2009) - I never get tired of this one.
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 7:02am
Originally posted by DippoMagoo DippoMagoo wrote:

Just saw the new Star Wars tonight, and I have very mixed thoughts. I don't necessarily think it's a rehash like VII was, so much as it felt like the director either had no clue what he wanted to do with it, or he had a vision but the studio interfered with it. Either way, it felt like an absolute muddled mess, one of the most tonally chaotic movies I've ever seen. It had parts I genuinely enjoyed, parts I enjoyed laughing at because they were so stupid, and parts I loathed. It was just all over the bloody place. I actually find it hard to believe some people are saying it's the best since Empire Strikes back, just like I also have a hard time seeing how people could call it the worst film of all time, because to me it's way too damn inconsistent to fall into either extreme. I definitely need to rewatch it at some point, to make a proper judgement. 

I agree with most of the things you said. I thought it was plain bad. Such poor story telling, totally disrespectful (to use a polite word) to the original trilogy. Some annoying new characters. The main character Rey is so perfect, it's a head scratcher, why and how, there's no explanation. They got rid of the main villain (Snoke) so easily. And obviously there's no charcter development, no back stories/arcs, etc, etc, etc... Confused

If you watch it a second time, you may find it even more disappointing. LOL
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 8:30am
Originally posted by keefer1970 keefer1970 wrote:

Zombieland (2009) - I never get tired of this one.
Hell yeah Clap
keefer1970 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote keefer1970 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2018 at 10:09am
Inside Metal: The L.A. Metal Scene Explodes (2016)
Part 1 of a 2-part documentary. Past and present members of Dokken, Stryper, Quiet Riot, Armored Saint, Metallica, and many more tell some stories and reminisce about the good ol' days of the early '80s Los Angeles metal boom. I didn't really learn anything new but this was a fun trip down memory lane. 
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 1:42am
Planning to catch up on some films this weekend. Got a couple I'm interested in on Prime that expire at the end of the month.

Watched last night:

John Carpenter's The Thing (1982) - never seen it before. Special effects are obviously dated now but I enjoyed this one a lot more than many modern horrors. 

Started with about half an hour left to go:

John Carpenter's They Live (1988) - very good so far. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 1:47am
Plan for the weekend includes:

Clockwise (1986) - John Cleese film. 
Mars Attacks! (1996) - another sci-fi I've never seen.

And on Netflix:

Housebound (2014) - comedy horror that's supposed to be good. I've had it on my list for ages but Netflix suddenly started displaying that it disappears on March 1st. I hate that Netflix doesn't display that until one week to go. Amazon lets you know a whole month in advance.

Z for Zachariah (2015) - another one that's suddenly expiring with little notice. 
GG2U

LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 3:33am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Plan for the weekend includes:

Mars Attacks! (1996) - another sci-fi I've never seen.

be aware that that is a parody of Independence Day mostly. 
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2018 at 5:10am

Planning to catch up on some films this weekend. Got a couple I'm interested in on Prime that expire at the end of the month.

Watched last night:

John Carpenter's The Thing (1982) - never seen it before. Special effects are obviously dated now but I enjoyed this one a lot more than many modern horrors. 

OMG, that hurt me really bad... LOL

Edited by LittleBig - 24 Feb 2018 at 8:21am
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 12:47am

Watched last night:

OMG, that hurt me really bad... LOL

It's an over 35 year old film, of course they're dated! Excellent film though, I wasn't implying that they were any kind of a detraction from it. 
GG2U

LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 12:53am
^ The remake from a little time ago sucked. Goes to show special effects can't save a movie. Too many movies look good these days but everything else is lacking (story-telling, no character development and sometimes poor acting). Just my opinion. I must just as well change my name to "grumpy old fart". LOL
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 1:00am

^ The remake from a little time ago sucked. Goes to show special effects can't save a movie. Too many movies look good these days but everything else is lacking (story-telling, no character development and sometimes poor acting). Just my opinion. I must just as well change my name to "grumpy old fart". LOL

I thought the 2011 The Thing was actually a prequel to this one rather than a remake? Or is there an actual remake I haven't heard about?

And no, I don't think your're off the mark with this view. There are many modern films I really enjoy but I often find that older films, including The Thing and the other John Carpenter film I just saw, They Live, have a lot more atmosphere and charm to them. They make me want to see more eighties movies and even older ones. There's a lot of classics I've missed from all kinds of genres. 
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 1:03am
I ended up watching five films yesterday including all those I posted about:

Clockwise (1986) - decent comedy. I realised I'd caught the end of this film before but never seen it right through. 

Mars Attacks (1996) - for a parody film I actually really enjoyed this. 

Housebound (2014) - I thought this was very good, a twist on the 'haunted house' sub-genre. I read that they're re-making it already, and I suspect it'll be fucked up like most remakes. 

Z for Zachariah (2015) - a decent post-apocalyptic film that focused more on rebuilding and characters rather than trying to survive in a hostile wasteland. Enjoyed but not a film to watch more than once. 

Attack the Block (2011) - Pleasantly surprised by this. I always saw this film as one of those that had a really dumb title and assumed it would be the usual modern B movie rubbish but I ended up really enjoying this one. 
GG2U

LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 1:08am

I thought the 2011 The Thing was actually a prequel to this one rather than a remake? Or is there an actual remake I haven't heard about?

And no, I don't think your're off the mark with this view. There are many modern films I really enjoy but I often find that older films, including The Thing and the other John Carpenter film I just saw, They Live, have a lot more atmosphere and charm to them. They make me want to see more eighties movies and even older ones. There's a lot of classics I've missed from all kinds of genres. 

the funny thing about the new "The Thing" is that the audience did not know what they are watching - a prequel or a remake? It was confusing. Myself included. LOL
MorniumGoatahl View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MorniumGoatahl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 1:18am
John Carpenter's version of The Thing is technically a remake itself.

The Thing is based on the 1938 novella Who Goes There? by John W. Campbell, Jr. (writing as Don A. Stuart).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_Goes_There%3F

This is the original film based on that story: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Thing_from_Another_World
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 1:29am
I'm aware of the 1951 film. It's said to be a loose adaptation of the original story. 
GG2U

LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 1:31am
Originally posted by MorniumGoatahl MorniumGoatahl wrote:

John Carpenter's version of The Thing is technically a remake itself.

The Thing is based on the 1938 novella Who Goes There? by John W. Campbell, Jr. (writing as Don A. Stuart).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who_Goes_There%3F

This is the original film based on that story: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Thing_from_Another_World

I know it's a remake, I even saw the movie, just out of curiosity. 

Two other excellent remakes of 50s sci-fi are The Fly (1986) and The Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978). Worth watching both. 

Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unitron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2018 at 9:00am

They make me want to see more eighties movies and even older ones. There's a lot of classics I've missed from all kinds of genres. 

Have you seen any Hitchcock films? If not and you're into suspense/thrillers, I highly recommend North by Northwest, Dial M for Murder, Torn Curtain, and The 39 Steps. All 5 star masterpieces in my book.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6364656667 256>
  Share Topic