MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I can't stand Slayer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elder08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I can't stand Slayer
    Posted: 22 Apr 2010 at 1:21pm
Whole band is shit, there are so many better bands but yet this one is considered Metal Legend? Makes no sense honestly would rather listen to 3oh!3 than slayer and i HATE POP!

My reasoning behind this thread is i was wondering if im the only one, I mean they're not that good and I was wondering if you like them, why you do?
I scrolled through the offended page and listened to cannibal corpse while masturbating.-elder08
Sleepwalker View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sleepwalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2010 at 1:33pm
I'm perfectly fine with you creating a thread to find out why people consider Slayer a Metal legend, but you don't need to say that the whole band is shit because you don't like them yourself. 
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2010 at 1:48pm
Nope that might be a bit out of line really. At least elaborate on what you don�t like about them. Is it the vocals, the excessive guitar soloing...etc. Have you listened to every single album by the band? And if not which albums do you base your contempt on? They�ve made quite a few you know and they don�t all sound the same.

I�ll state why I�m about the worlds�s biggest fan in my reviews.Smile
DeathOfSeasons View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeathOfSeasons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2010 at 1:55pm
I wouldn't call Slayer shit but I'll say they're definitely overrated. Their post-Reign in Blood material is pretty boring to me, and even their classic albums are still overrated. For me the main thing Slayer had going for them (well apart from the kick ass riffs) was their speed. When I first heard Reign in Blood it sounded so fresh and energetic, but for me that feeling left once I heard South of Heaven.
elder08 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elder08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2010 at 2:23pm

your right about the shit thing but i shall elaborate i heard raining blood because my friend decided to show me them when i got into Cannibal Corpse. I really hated the vocals and didnt like how the whole song kinda sounded off key. I would dwell into more songs but they seem satanist or at least hardcore atheist with live stages graffitied in " GOD HATES YOU"

I scrolled through the offended page and listened to cannibal corpse while masturbating.-elder08
rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors and Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2010 at 2:41pm
Slayer were too extreme for my tastes back in the day, although a friend did have Reign In Blood and it wasn't too bad.  We were listening to Metallica, Megadeth, Exodus, Overkill and the Suicidal Tendencies around that same time. 
Negoba View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Negoba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2010 at 3:43pm
Slayer had some good riffs but they were always #4 of the big 4 for me. (Actually probably behind Testament too.) Araya's vocals were just too raw and the whole music was just more punk like, and I'm not a punk fan. Too stripped down, just about as much nuance as a boulder.

I remember watching a band covering a Slayer tune in high school and one of the parents bursting out laughing because the lyrics were so bad.

But good riffs earns you some respect in the world of metal no matter what.

Edited by Negoba - 22 Apr 2010 at 3:45pm
We're gonna do a little number featuring Randy Rhoads...

Wine is fine but whisky's quicker.

That's what Rock n' Roll's About!!!!
Stephen View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2010 at 11:39pm
@elder :
looks like the main reason you hate Slayer is because they have a satanic imagery, but in fact, that's only pure theatrical and not reflecting their true belief. I once heard that Tom Araya is even a church activist (don't know if it's true) while Kerry King is probably indeed an atheist, but hearing them is just like watching horror movie, just for fun.

anyway, i agree with Jay's opinion that they had several good riffs but nothing's really memorable and interest me as much as Metallica or Testament to me :)

Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2010 at 12:31am
I think Reign in Blood is a fantastic half hour of senseless violence, one of my favourite metal albums. Seasons in the Abyss is another great Slayer album and I quite like Christ Illusion as well. I should listen to more of South of Heaven.
<- Click on this!
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2010 at 1:53am
^Oh hell yeah you should definitely listen more to South of Heaven. It took a lot of years to grow on me, but now it�s one of my favorites. Take a listen to the excessive soloing in Live Undead or the simple but effectful start in Spill the Blood. I love that album.
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2010 at 5:02am
I'm in agreement with most accessments with Slayer,
Though I do understand why the the are considered a Classic among Thrash, they were the 1st to play
their type of Thrash Metal, they started this trend of "this kind", and at the beginning when I 1st heard
them, they deffinately have "Punk" roots, but so did Iron Maiden.
It wasnt till Reign in Blood did I "like" them, I LOVE Araya's Screaming Raw Vocals though, and
Dave Lombardo is one of the most technical and fastest drummers still (especially then, that is until
we all heard Morbid Angel), but I think his true skills shown in his Band "Grip Inc." when he left
Slayer. And I was a fan of his replacement Paul Bostaph years before with the Great Tech-
Thrashers "Forbidden".
The thing that I noticed in their beginning and in Reign, Hanneman and King were awesome at
riffage from Hell!  But their soloing was, well . . . like mine back then, I DIDNT KNOW HOW TO
SOLO LOL (and I'm still working at it).
They had no "theory", it was noodling to the purest sence, it was "fake" scales, it was just fingers
going fast all over the fret board to fit into the structures of each song.
But as the each Album came, Hanneman got MUCH better, and King is STILL a noodler Disapprove, lets
face it, he's the rythem guitarist and has come up with some awesome riffs and I think thats where
he is very comfortable while adding his "signature" whammy bar trems.

I too am a bit cringy when I read the lyrics, and the way they "avoid" the questions of what theyre
beliefs or song lyrics stand for/what purpose, has always made me scratch my head.  But I guess
thats theyre right, they dont need to or want to be role-models.  But everytime I see Kerry in an
interview, it seems like he wants to punch out the interviewer, the man has some issues, I can feel
the animosity through the TV screen, and from everything I've heard, he's an athiest and has a
hatred for "Gods", which always astounds me, theyre lyrics can be really intelligent at times but
"logic" tells me, its not Gods fault, its MAN who interpets what THEY want to hear and use it to their
own advantage.
The last few albums have gotten more explicit and its a total turn-off, I like the "sound" of the latest,
but most of the lyrics turned me off, lyrics mean alot to me so I cant avoid it.

I mean NO disrespect to the Fans, they have a "Legion" litterally, and I understand it, but I dont
understand the fanatism that follows them, engraving the Slayer Logos on themselves and other
maniacle behaviour of some. I'm sure they think "man those are some sick F***s!" but at the same
time they take it as "This is the kind of fans we have, thats why we are here".

Okay so I'm a Christian "believer", but I actually like "Deicide" because theyre soo heavy,
aggressive and evil that they amaze me that theyre excellent musicians, but I'd be hard pressed to
buy their albums (And Satanism is soo full of paradoxes I just shake my head. I'm sure the same
can be said for my beliefs, yet the core of my beliefs is for good,  not dark, and gives people hope,
not un-abashed reason to be self destructive or destructive and, and, and etc. etc.).

If I were to own Slayer albums:
Reign in Blood (which I do)
Seasons in the Abyss
South of Heaven (and this)
and "War Ensemble" is a GREAT song!

Now I guess I'll get Ouch (but I'll take some with me! Nuke)
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
FusionKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FusionKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2010 at 3:46pm
I really like Slayer. I very much like the riffs, enjoy the atonal soloing and actually I am happy with the vocals, they're perfectly suited to the brutality of the tunes, raw, crude yet never get too much for me. As for thier image, I'm a serious atheist, so it doesn't bother me, I quite enjoy a bit of heathenistic imagery in my metal!
The T 666 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T 666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2010 at 5:15pm
There's no problem with a thread about one disliking a band, but I think "Slayer Hater" sends a wrong message...I'll change the thread title. 
Beekeeper View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beekeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2010 at 12:59am
I agree to an extent with the original post.

They're certainly mediocre, they only have one riff, play the worst solos in all of metal and are hopelessly one dimensional.

They're just considered legendary because they're popular and accessible and those factors blow things out of proportion.

There were dozens of bands around at the same time that had better riffs, better vocals and proper guitar solos.

Edited by Beekeeper - 24 Apr 2010 at 1:35am
Harry View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2010 at 3:05am
As individual musicians (excluding the drummers) they were never THAT great, but MAN, something just f**king happened when they came together as a collective.
Reign in Blood will always be in my top 5 favorite 80s thrash metal albums along with Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?, So Far, So Good, So What? , Master of Puppets and Ride The Lightning
NecronCommander View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NecronCommander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2010 at 11:04am
I like Slayer, but only to some extent.

True, they have hardcore punk roots, but they deserve their spot in the Big 4.

My only real complaint with them is that their music is all too similar.  There are obviously some standout tracks that are seriously awesome, but for the most part, their riffage, drumming, lyrics, vocal style, and themes are all one in the same, across all albums.  I think the extent of their themes gave them a lot of appeal for being pretty edgy.

I prefer Testament as well.
The T 666 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T 666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2010 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by Harry Harry wrote:

As individual musicians (excluding the drummers) they were never THAT great, but MAN, something just f**king happened when they came together as a collective.
Reign in Blood will always be in my top 5 favorite 80s thrash metal albums along with Peace Sells... But Who's Buying?, So Far, So Good, So What? , Master of Puppets and Ride The Lightning

This. Bostaph and Lombardo were (are) masters of the drum, but neither Araya, nor Hanneman or King are more than average musicians. Yet their combination creates sparks of serious power. Reign in Blood is amazing, but so is Seasons in the Abyss and South Of Heaven, and some songs in Hell Awaits and Divine Intervention. They went downhill afterwards, but they have regained some of their lost greatness with last years' World Painted Blood
topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2010 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by NecronCommander NecronCommander wrote:

My only real complaint with them is that their music is all too similar.  There are obviously some standout tracks that are seriously awesome, but for the most part, their riffage, drumming, lyrics, vocal style, and themes are all one in the same, across all albums.  I think the extent of their themes gave them a lot of appeal for being pretty edgy.

The same for me. I've barely been able to tell between certain songs. Especially on RIB, where after Angel of Death it seems to be a 20 minute fest of rapid boom-chas on the drum and undistinct quick riffs on the guitar.
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
slow man View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote slow man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2010 at 3:27pm
I really like them. They give me exactly what I want to hear when I'm in the mood for ruthless thrash. They have their own sound with rough vocals, wild-noisy solos and spectacular drumwork. Sure,there are more bands but Slayer gives me the aggression I simply like the most.        Their music is original,especially the first years of their carreer,and has influenced many other bands. I don't think they are overrated.It's a good thing when people go out of their mind on Slayer. When I was younger there were times I released almost every day my energy on them. Now today my collection is too big to hear them regular,but still they are favorite. Hell awaits & South of heaven are some of the classic albums, but I also like albums as Divine intervention & Christ illusion. The weakest album is Diabolus in musica. However it has great tracks as Bitter peace,Scrum &Point;also maybe the most progressive album. As far as I understood they won't continue Slayer when the members reach an age of far in the 50.

Edited by slow man - 27 Apr 2010 at 4:19pm
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2010 at 4:01pm
I like Slayer - they're pure energy, mean riffage, and insane shreddy solos - I guess their music is pure anger. And I really like Tom Araya's voice; I think it's much better now than when he was younger. It took some time for me to be able to appreciate Slayer, because they were so extreme - and, in a way, they're still more extreme and angry than many death metal bands are. If I'm pissed off, I listen to slayer, and my anger goes away, because I can live it our through rocking along with their music. I think they're great.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic