MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Help us improve the site
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help with tagging Alchemist albums

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with tagging Alchemist albums
    Posted: 20 Apr 2010 at 8:33am
Right now Australian act Alchemist is placed in the death metal sub: http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/alchemist.aspx

While they certainly have death metal elements on their early recordings, their later albums should probably be placed in thrash here on MMA ( and maybe the early ones too?). Are there any fans who could help tag the albums correctly?
bonnek View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonnek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2010 at 3:57pm
Let's see, do you have Eclectic Metal? Smile

- All albums till Spiritech are pure Death Metal, there are some experimental/psychedelic twists but not any further the say Amorphis' Elegy.

- Spiritech I would sure defend as Progressive Metal, it's certainly their most progressive album. A very spacey psychedelic feel and lots of Voivod-isms

- Organasm and Austral Alien I would tag as Space Death Metal or Psychedelic Metal, only, MMA doesn't have those so maybe they file under 'progressive' as well.

- There are also some Industrial elements in their music, which became most apparent on Tripsis. Very stark rhythms, almost machine drums, and the vocal similarities with Killing Joke might warrant that tag
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2010 at 4:03pm
So maybe if we tag the early albums death metal, Spiritech and Organasm progressive metal and Austral Alien and Tripsis industrial? I know those tags are not completely fulfilling but decisions have to be made. This way we ensure that Alchemist is represented in all three genres and when people visit their page it will say "death metal/ progressive metal/ industrial metal"

I�m most familiar with Austral Alien and Tripsis myself but they are probably the hardest to tag. The Killing Joke reference is very valid though, so I guess an industrial tag is somewhat warranted?
bonnek View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonnek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2010 at 4:58am
Yep that's a good idea. On Austral Alien and Tripsis the industrial flavour is possible the highest.

As you say it's a very difficult band to tag. Frankly I don't know any other band sounding like them so if you do please suggest Smile
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2010 at 2:15pm
Well the last two albums are a kind of mix between Prong and Killing Joke to my ears but you probably know those two bandsSmile, so no I don�t really know any bands that sound like Alchemist. They are truly an original band.

Edited by UMUR - 24 Apr 2010 at 2:16pm
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2010 at 2:15pm
Oh and BTW I�ve tagged the albums according to our correspondence.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic