Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

last.fm and playing music in general

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: last.fm and playing music in general
    Posted: 01 Nov 2012 at 8:30am
Today is my fourth anniversary of using last.fm.

In that time it has registered 29542 plays which is the equivalent to over 20 per day on average.

How does this compare to your listening experience?

I might add that I feel I have hardly touched the surface of all the material that has ever been released and the rate of my listening to music has not changed in 40 years.  Not a week goes by without playing a newly found album by an existing or new artist.

Is it just me or are there other "musicheads" out there?

rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors and Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2012 at 8:57am
October 5th was my 5 year anniversary on Last.FM.  I have 131,396 plays, which translates to about 71 plays per day.  Of course it helps that I sit here at work and listen to music at least 5 days a week.
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2012 at 8:59am
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

October 5th was my 5 year anniversary on Last.FM.  I have 131,396 plays, which translates to about 71 plays per day.  Of course it helps that I sit here at work and listen to music at least 5 days a week.

LOL

I was genuinely looking forward to seeing your stats Scott! Big smile

rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2012 at 9:10am
It is kind of a sad obsession with me, but I really love being able to maintain a record of just about everything that I listen to.  I've said it before, but I would love to be able to hook up electrodes to my brain so that I could somehow or another scrobble everything that I listened to pre-Last.FM.  I just think it would be totally amazing to see how different my top 500 bands would be if all of the pre-listens came into play.  Rush might still be number 1, but I think Van Halen, Def Leppard, Motley Crue, Led Zeppelin, and the like would all be much much higher up on my list.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2012 at 9:11am

It is kind of a sad obsession with me, but I really love being able to maintain a record of just about everything that I listen to.  I've said it before, but I would love to be able to hook up electrodes to my brain so that I could somehow or another scrobble everything that I listened to pre-Last.FM.  I just think it would be totally amazing to see how different my top 500 bands would be if all of the pre-listens came into play.  Rush might still be number 1, but I think Van Halen, Def Leppard, Motley Crue, Led Zeppelin, and the like would all be much much higher up on my list.

This. There are many bands that would hell of a lot more plays registered to my account if I could that.

some would be downright embarrassing 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2012 at 10:24am
I don't know how much "downright embarrassing" the listens might be, but I suppose that all of the years of hearing the same Christmas songs year after year after year would probably build up and make them appear much higher on the list than I might otherwise like to see them. LOL
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2012 at 11:08pm
I barely scrobble anymore, because 99% of my listening is on my ipod which I don't have set up to do that

I'm at 3 years and 3 months, 35245 plays.  What's that, just under 35 a day?  Obviously I used to listen a lot more at home, but while I'm in school I don't much, not even in the evenings.

Edited by Triceratopsoil - 01 Nov 2012 at 11:12pm
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2012 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by Colt Colt wrote:

Today is my fourth anniversary of using last.fm.

In that time it has registered 29542 plays which is the equivalent to over 20 per day on average.

How does this compare to your listening experience?

I might add that I feel I have hardly touched the surface of all the material that has ever been released and the rate of my listening to music has not changed in 40 years.  Not a week goes by without playing a newly found album by an existing or new artist.

Is it just me or are there other "musicheads" out there?

I registered around 2 1/2 years ago, and have 14607 plays.  Like Colin, most of my listening over the past year or so has been using my MP3 player, which I do not scrobble with.

With the plays I have, I always check last.fm recommendations every few months to see if it refers me to artists I have not heard of.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2012 at 11:19pm

I don't know how much "downright embarrassing" the listens might be, but I suppose that all of the years of hearing the same Christmas songs year after year after year would probably build up and make them appear much higher on the list than I might otherwise like to see them. LOL

My number one song is titled "Steve Coogan - The Paul and Pauline Calf Audio Experience".  It has a commanding lead, but every track on the album (a comedy recording) had been given the exact same title.
Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2012 at 3:18am
I signed up in July 2008 and have since scrobbled 82159 tracks, 48 per day. I have rather obsessively tried to make sure that every single track I listen to makes it onto my last.fm (if I put on a CD, I'll have to put the same album on in iTunes as well), but somewhere around 2009 there was a gap of about six months when my computer broke down and I couldn't scrobble. 

Another more curious thing has bloated the stats of a couple of bands up high in the alphabet, Absoluuttinen Nollapiste and AC/DC most of all: When I leave home I always put on some music for the dogs so that outside noise doesn't bother them. Sometimes I forget to close down the Last.fm program, so I've had countless hours of dog entertainment scrobbled.

Right now I put some Iced Earth on in Spotify, sound off, because I listened to them at work and of course I have to scrobble it. Embarrassed

My music listening has gone way down in the last two years, before that I worked a warehouse job where on good days I could listen to music eight hours straight plus the commute in and out of work. Nowadays it's just the commute and one meager album at work if I'm lucky.
<- Click on this!
rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2012 at 8:29am
That is part of my obsession as well.  I tend to listen to CDs while I am driving in the car or listening to music on my stereo at home, so I generally have to run them in iTunes on my computer as well in order to scrobble them.  I am sure that it sometimes crosses the border into a compulsive obsessive disorder.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2012 at 8:34am
I'm glad I'm not the only one who does that.
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2012 at 8:43am
Originally posted by Stooge Stooge wrote:

With the plays I have, I always check last.fm recommendations every few months to see if it refers me to artists I have not heard of.

This and concert recommendations are the things I use last.fm for most often
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2012 at 9:54am
I had a last.fm and used it a lot about a year and a half ago, but I ended up deleting it. I got too obsessed with it, and it always bothered me when I would listen to a CD or LP album that I didn't scrobble. It just seemed like too much work for really no reward. I post what I listen to in the thread on MMA instead. Thumbs Up
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Kingcrimsonprog View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingcrimsonprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2012 at 5:11am
I love last fm. I too wish I had it from birth so I could see everything ever.

I've been on it about 2 1/2 years, and I've got about 50,500 scrobbles.

Works out around 436 songs a week, or 62 a day.

I can't say I hear a new album every week, but definitely every four weeks.

Whenever I hear something I cant scrobble (in the car or a friends house or whatever) I make a playlist of it on iTunes and leave that playing on mute while I sleep, so it gets scrobbled.

My Blog: http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic