MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNow -- what are you listening to? V2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 11151116111711181119 1639>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 6 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 8:43pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

Originally posted by DippoMagoo DippoMagoo wrote:

Two tracks in and it's already gone from epic symphonic power (in the style of their early albums) to bouncy 80's pop. Oh boy, this could be a real mess of an album, lol!

I've been sent the promo of this but with Napalm's new policy of not allowing reviewers to download their albums I'm boycotting their releases. No download = no review. Doesn't get any simpler than that for me. 

How do they not allow downloads? Do they send a copy-protected CD?
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
DippoMagoo View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Goth & Symph, Prog/AG Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 10:10pm
You can only stream the albums. Which actually isn't a problem for me, since I always listen to albums while using my laptop, but for some people it can obviously be a big problem. Like, I've heard some reviewers from other sites complain they don't have time to review those albums because their best time to listen to music is when they're out and about, but obviously that can't be done with a stream. So far out of all labels I work with, only Napalm and Frontiers are doing it, at least that I've noticed.

Edited by DippoMagoo - 26 Oct 2017 at 10:10pm
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by Unitron Unitron wrote:

Originally posted by Vim Fuego Vim Fuego wrote:

Originally posted by Bosh66 Bosh66 wrote:

You working your way through the whole Europe discography, Scott? Big smile

That takes a special kind of masochist!Shocked I never got past Final Countdown and Superstitious.
Save

You should listen to their awesome first two albums, before they became a poster glam band.

I probably should, but Joey Tempest's perfect cheekbone structure always made me feel inadequate.Cry
Save
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2017 at 11:14pm
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 12:46am

Two tracks in and it's already gone from epic symphonic power (in the style of their early albums) to bouncy 80's pop. Oh boy, this could be a real mess of an album, lol!

I've been sent the promo of this but with Napalm's new policy of not allowing reviewers to download their albums I'm boycotting their releases. No download = no review. Doesn't get any simpler than that for me. 

You can only stream the albums. Which actually isn't a problem for me, since I always listen to albums while using my laptop, but for some people it can obviously be a big problem. Like, I've heard some reviewers from other sites complain they don't have time to review those albums because their best time to listen to music is when they're out and about, but obviously that can't be done with a stream. So far out of all labels I work with, only Napalm and Frontiers are doing it, at least that I've noticed.

I actually do most of my listening at my PC, but there is a matter of principle here. These record labels get free promotion from reviewers - who do not get paid for their work - and now they are suddenly saying we cannot even keep a reduced bitrate digital copy of the albums we enjoy in exchange for our work. I am sure I will not be the only reviewer who will not stand for it. 

There's also the little matter of that I'm only one person and I don't necessarily review every promo in the time it's actually on Haulix. If I have it downloaded it's safe and I can review it when I'm able. Not allowing downloads means if I do a review for a promo I'll like choose someone else's release. Napalm at least do seem to seek their promos around for quite a long time, but if others like Clawhammer PR start doing this it'll be completely game over for me - those guys seem to always remove their promos long before the expiry date actually says. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 1:02am
Yeah, I guess none of that really effects me, because the site I write for likes to have reviews published around the time an album releases, if not before, so I never have to worry about losing promo access. I also don't have to worry about if a stream only promo gets taken away, because most of the time the album appears on Spotify, so I can just listen to it there if I ever want to hear it again. For example, the new Serenity releases today so I already saved it on Spotify, so I can listen to it whenever I want, as long as I keep my account there going, which I plan on doing for the foreseeable future.  I definitely agree it's an inconvenience, but to me just being able to hear albums early and have the chance to review them is enough of a reward that I don't care how I have to do it, as long as I can keep doing it. 
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 1:03am

This is awesome, btw. A mix of power metal, prog and AOR as always. It seems a bit lighter than usual, but the songwriting is perfect as always. 
Sisslith View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Prog/AG Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 1:09am
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/images/covers/ne-obliviscaris-urn-20171026084742.jpg
Only the dead have seen the end of war.
Without music, life would be a mistake.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 1:15am
Dang. Visitors this eve.
Bailed into my room for fix of Spock’s Beard (The Oblivion Particle).
I really wanted to crank up Geryon’s debut........    been feeling like it all day........
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 1:16am
Scoring the free CD used to be one of the few perks I got working at the paper. I was only getting stuff from NZ and Aussie labels, and you'd get a ton of absolute shit before you got a good one you actually wanted. I wasn't quite organised enough to approach proper metal labels to get stuff sent for review, but I was starting to get metal demos because bands found out there was one metal friendly writer in NZ. And honestly, I was about it! Metal got ignored or slagged everywhere else. One of the big dailies also had a woman who liked metal a bit, but more the mainstream stuff.

And if you didn't like the CD, there was always trading or the second hand shop.Wink
Save

Edited by Vim Fuego - 27 Oct 2017 at 1:16am
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 1:20am
^ I never understood just why Metal music is so despised and hated. People just don’t ‘get it’.....
If they don’t dig the heavier stuff, no need to dismiss it so vehemently. Sure, it’s not for everyone, but then, Pink is highly offensive and repulsive to my ears..........
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 1:59am
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

^ I never understood just why Metal music is so despised and hated. People just don’t ‘get it’.....
If they don’t dig the heavier stuff, no need to dismiss it so vehemently. Sure, it’s not for everyone, but then, Pink is highly offensive and repulsive to my ears..........

Ears, yes, eyes, no.Wink

It's probably for the same reason a lot of metal fans don't like rap. Too foreign. And music reviewers are generally (being very general here!) classical highbrows, who stick to their knitting, frustrated old punks who never got over Joy Division becoming New Order and worship NME, or try-hard alternative types who try to be as quirky and "open-minded" as possible, but couldn't possibly give a politically incorrect genre like metal a fair shot. That's why what critics like and what gets played on the radio are so different too.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 6:53am
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/sorcerer/the-crowning-of-the-fire-king
GG2U

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 8:51am
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/monolord/rust
GG2U

Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 9:43am
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 10:19am

Ordered this myself a few days ago. Really impressed by it.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 10:34am
Originally posted by Nightfly Nightfly wrote:

Ordered this myself a few days ago. Really impressed by it.

I love the album cover, so I decided to check it out. Really awesome groovy stoner doom.
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 10:37am

I actually do most of my listening at my PC, but there is a matter of principle here. These record labels get free promotion from reviewers - who do not get paid for their work - and now they are suddenly saying we cannot even keep a reduced bitrate digital copy of the albums we enjoy in exchange for our work. I am sure I will not be the only reviewer who will not stand for it. 

There's also the little matter of that I'm only one person and I don't necessarily review every promo in the time it's actually on Haulix. If I have it downloaded it's safe and I can review it when I'm able. Not allowing downloads means if I do a review for a promo I'll like choose someone else's release. Napalm at least do seem to seek their promos around for quite a long time, but if others like Clawhammer PR start doing this it'll be completely game over for me - those guys seem to always remove their promos long before the expiry date actually says. 

Yeah, I'd be upset too if I did the whole promo reviewing thing more. If I get a review copy, I would want it to be an actual download or CD copy. Not to mention that bands will often have their albums available for streaming for everyone a few days before the official release, so it doesn't feel like you're really getting anything.

Edited by Unitron - 27 Oct 2017 at 10:37am
rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors and Omissions Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Oct 2017 at 12:25pm
Electric Skies
Sisslith View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Prog/AG Teams