MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedNow -- what are you listening to? V2

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 10851086108710881089 1639>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 6 Votes, Average 4.50  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2017 at 8:35am
In the mood for some thrash now...

Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2017 at 11:42am
Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2017 at 2:09pm
DippoMagoo View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Goth & Symph, Prog/AG Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2017 at 7:27pm
Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Aug 2017 at 10:51pm
Psydye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2017 at 12:13am

Probably the rest of their discography at this point as well, as I haven't really heard much of it.
666sharon666 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black, HM/HR/Glam Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2017 at 2:05am
Vim Fuego View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, T/S/G, Grind, VA Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2017 at 2:32am
Originally posted by Unitron Unitron wrote:

I really need to get some more Ratt, they're quickly becoming my favorite glam metal band.

I managed to find one of those cheap-o 5 disc sets, which has the CDs in cardboard slipcases. It was both better and worse than I expected. Also got a Dream Theater one (mostly pretentious dribble with a few gems), Judas Priest (80s era, so a bit patchy), Suicidal Tendencies (all class, but no Join the Army), and Faith No More (excellent).
Save
TheHeavyMetalCat View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Black and Death Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2017 at 9:12am

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2017 at 9:21am
Originally posted by TheHeavyMetalCat TheHeavyMetalCat wrote:

More people here seem to be listening to this because of a negative review that any positive one ever posted. Ermm

Also long time, no post Ashley. Good to see you're still around. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Sisslith View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Prog/AG Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2017 at 9:25am
Back from a veeery long vacation...

Only the dead have seen the end of war.
Without music, life would be a mistake.
TheHeavyMetalCat View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Black and Death Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2017 at 9:26am
Been a bit busy, but I haven't forgotten about you guys. I'm sure you've missed my mass band suggestions.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2017 at 11:11am
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/lauxnos/my-dead-ocean
GG2U

Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2017 at 11:17am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

More people here seem to be listening to this because of a negative review that any positive one ever posted. Ermm

Yeah, it actually annoys me (not because people are listening to it). I didn't want to have to write such a negative review, I don't like writing them, but I tried writing one and I just kept typing away and had a really angry review. I haven't seen this much of a shitstorm for a review since Wilytank's Haken review. I wish my positive reviews (which are most of my reviews), would get people to check the album out.

Edited by Unitron - 31 Aug 2017 at 11:41am
If I say fuck two more times that's forty-six fucks in this fucked up rhyme
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2017 at 11:51am

Yup, that Elder album isn't kvlt enough for the fat deceptacon who's favorite black metal artist is one of the most hated and slammed "not kvlt enough" artists in black metal. LOL
DippoMagoo View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Power & Neo, Goth & Symph, Prog/AG Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2017 at 12:01pm

Yeah, it actually annoys me (not because people are listening to it). I didn't want to have to write such a negative review, I don't like writing them, but I tried writing one and I just kept typing away and had a really angry review. I haven't seen this much of a shitstorm for a review since Wilytank's Haken review. I wish my positive reviews (which are most of my reviews), would get people to check the album out.

Yeah, I can understand the feeling. Believe it or not, I'm actually incredibly shy in real life, so I really don't like drawing much attention to myself, which is one reason why I almost never write negative reviews anymore. It's like, if I'm going to get any kind of attention, it may as well be for something I'd recommend and not for something I'm bashing the hell out of.

At the same time, though, your review was actually helpful in a kind of warped way. By that I mean, I wouldn't have taken any interest in the album otherwise, because that's not a style I actively seek out, even though I do like it from time to time, and so your mentions of extended ambient sections actually caught my interest, as I like that sort of thing. So in a really twisted way, your review actually did get me interested in the album and my first listen went pretty well. So basically, even if your experience with the album was awful, I guess you can feel good knowing you still managed to help people discover a new band they can like, which is a major reason why reviews can be helpful in the first place.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2017 at 12:01pm

I know mate, I'm actually depressed as hell over how the whole reviewing game seems to work. Write a glowing review and we're lucky if we get one Like on Facebook. Write a negative one and bang! Shitstorm inbound. 

It's probably my own fault for tagging the band and label in the post, but I always do that where available and I saw no justification not too for this review just because it was negative. I consider that censorship that I wasn't about to impose on you or anyone else for that matter. I'm genuinely surprised the record label shared this one (that's why it's got this much attention so fast). If I were them I'd have just ignored it. 

Still, your review has resulted in this album getting more ratings on the site that any other from this reviewer's challenge, and we need ratings badly (something none of these people on Facebook seem willing to leave).

If we do this challenge system again I'll probably set it up so everyone can request an album from a sub-genre of their choice or something like that. 
GG2U

Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2017 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by DippoMagoo DippoMagoo wrote:

Yeah, I can understand the feeling. Believe it or not, I'm actually incredibly shy in real life, so I really don't like drawing much attention to myself, which is one reason why I almost never write negative reviews anymore. It's like, if I'm going to get any kind of attention, it may as well be for something I'd recommend and not for something I'm bashing the hell out of.

At the same time, though, your review was actually helpful in a kind of warped way. By that I mean, I wouldn't have taken any interest in the album otherwise, because that's not a style I actively seek out, even though I do like it from time to time, and so your mentions of extended ambient sections actually caught my interest, as I like that sort of thing. So in a really twisted way, your review actually did get me interested in the album and my first listen went pretty well. So basically, even if your experience with the album was awful, I guess you can feel good knowing you still managed to help people discover a new band they can like, which is a major reason why reviews can be helpful in the first place.

Yeah, I'm exactly the same way. With the exception of my job and group of friends, I am not good at interacting with people. I do like it when my positive reviews get attention (Most recently my review of The White Swan's newest EP got shared by the band, and it's an atmospheric doom metal album, imagine that!), but as soon as I post a negative review I get personal insults thrown at me. Granted, I've developed thick skin when it comes to insults and take it humorous stride (Though there was one that did anger me a bit). I wish more people knew how to actually critique, which I would listen to.

I'm glad my review got you to listen to it and enjoy it, and I think all reviews should be taken that way rather than "Oh, this review is obviously trying to say they have the right opinion" when that's not what I think a review is. The point of reviews is to get people to check something out, not change the opinions of people who have already formed one for themselves. I believe the only other two negative reviews I've written are of Dream Theater's The Astonishing (Which didn't seem to piss anyone off), and Pain of Salvation's BE (I haven't actually posted it anywhere because of the reasons seen recently, but it's actually a comedic conversation review that people seem to enjoy more.)

Edited by Unitron - 31 Aug 2017 at 12:23pm
Unitron View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2017 at 12:30pm

If we do this challenge system again I'll probably set it up so everyone can request an album from a sub-genre of their choice or something like that. 

It didn't even have to do with the sub-genre, I was actually interested in this album before hand as it was advertised as stoner rock, which is one of my favorite genres. So when I was listening to it, I was wondering where any of the stoner rock was, so it's not your fault. Had I listened to this without having it picked, I probably would have stopped listening to it after the second song and forget about it.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2017 at 1:29pm
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/album/ea/ea

Digging this one quite a lot. Funeral doom made up of one 47:38 long track. 
GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 10851086108710881089 1639>
  Share Topic