MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Yardbirds aren't on here yet?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Proto Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote voila_la_scorie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Yardbirds aren't on here yet?
    Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 9:33pm
Back in my high school days I eagerly sought out proto-metal bands like Iron Butterfly, Cream, Blue Cheer and so on. I found a lot of excellent stuff on the Yardbirds compilations I bought. Here are nine tracks that I think pointed in the direction of the nascent metal genre.

1. Ain't Got You - Heavy beat and guitar though no distortion. The guitar solo works as a blueprint for Zeppelin's "Whole Lotta Love" solo.

2. Mr. You're a Better Man than I - Jeff Beck plays a very cool solo with heavy sound and distortion.

3. I'm not Talking - A rollicking rocker with a dirty, gritty feel and two awesome guitar solos by Mr. Beck.

4. Train Kept a Rollin' - The Yardbirds made this song a heavy rock foundation. Later covered by Aerosmith and Motorhead.

5. Stroll On - The Yardbirds re-write of "Train Kept a Rollin'" for the movie "Blow Up". Heavier than the original and featuring Jeff Beck and Jimmy Page together.

6. Happenings Ten Years Time Ago - Another Beck/Page track. Not as heavy as "Stroll On" but definitely a proto-metal tune.

7. I Ain't Done Wrong - Simple crunchy chords and a solo section that sounds like 60's Metallica. Were the Yardbirds going for speed metal in twelve bar blues?

8. Someone to Love (part 2) - An instrumental version of part one with Jeff Beck seriously making use of distortion and heavy guitar effects.

9. Think About It / Dazed and Confused - "Think About It" features the original workings of the Zeppelin "Dazed and Confused" solo. The Yardbirds took it further by actually recording "Dazed and Confused" (rare live recordings exist) - a different version than the one Zeppelin would record a year later.

A story told that can't be real somehow must reflect the truth we feel.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 10:08pm
They might have been discussed previously (don't remember), but here's the forum section where you can request bands for addition on Metal Music Archives: http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=1
progshine View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 10:37pm
But with all due respect, I don't think they're not even Proto-Metal. Just my opinion anyway Smile
Testing 1...2...3..
RAY, IT'S NOT WORKING!

www.progshine.net

Your resource of Prog Rock with weekly Podcasts, reviews, interviews and many more.
voila_la_scorie View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Proto Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote voila_la_scorie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2012 at 6:46am
Thanks @Stooge. I was trying to find where to do that. But I figured I'd ask to see what others thought. I figured someone might have mentioned them but they weren't considered real proto-metal.

@progshine. Hey, I recognized your name from the other site. I saw the Kinks on here and though I don't know anything of theirs between 1970 and 1983, I figured if they were on here for You Really Got Me and All Day and All of the Night then the Yardbirds deserve some mention, too. I think some of what they were doing fits in with The Who, Cream, and the heavier stuff of Ten Years After. I agree they are not true proto-metal. But I always liked their early efforts at using distorted guitar and Beck and Page's solos. And they sure did inspire a lot of 70's bands!
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2012 at 9:26am
Feel free to suggest The Yardbirds as protometal, and we'll have a look at it.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2012 at 10:50pm
a) wrong section
b) I don't think they belong here at all, not even under "hard rock"
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2012 at 3:29am
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

a) wrong section

Woke up with a sore head this morning Colin? LOL
voila_la_scorie View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Proto Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote voila_la_scorie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2012 at 6:47am

@Triceratopsoil Well, I wasn't actually suggesting the Yardbirds for this site as such. Not yet. I wanted to see what people had to say about them as a band that included very early elements of metal in some of their songs, particularly the ones I mentioned above. Honestly I wasn't sure which forum was the best for such a discussion but I see I mistook Metal Music Recommendations (or perhaps as I was doing this on my iPhone I accidentally touched the wrong forum link). Whatever, you are right, now that I look at it, I put this in the wrong forum. All apologies there.

As for the Yardbirds music, they started out as a British electric blues band for sure but with Eric Clapton that meant that guitar solos would figure in prominently. By the time Jeff Beck came on board there was the addition of distortion, power chords, and more experimental solos that sound closer to metal than anything in Clapton's time. Then came Page and for a short time there were two lead guitarists, both using distortion and guitar effects. Finally Page led them through their psychedelic phase and introduced more proto-metal type solos and some heavier guitar work. Finally, the Yardbirds inspired bands like Rush, Aerosmith, Motorhead and many more hard rock and heavy metal bands of the seventies. They may not be proto-metal or even hard rock, but they definitely had an influence on the early stages of the genre's development. And of course they eventually became Led Zeppelin in a round about way.

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2012 at 7:51am
My father was a big fan of the YardbirdsSmile
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2012 at 8:20am

Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2012 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by Colt Colt wrote:

Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

a) wrong section

Woke up with a sore head this morning Colin? LOL

I need more sleep Embarrassed

Don't get me wrong, I like them a lot, but I feel like they are so far removed from heavy metal in every way

Edited by Triceratopsoil - 24 Oct 2012 at 6:00pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image