Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shame On You!!!!????

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shame On You!!!!????
    Posted: 21 Oct 2012 at 9:13pm
I was thinking here, I'm not sure if something similar was already posted, but I'm too lazy to look for it anyway LOL

What is the band/artist/music you like, but you would be ashamed of admit in front of your metalhead friends?

I'm not that much of a metal guy, so I don't have any problem in saying that I pretty much listen to anything before judging.

And my first 'confess' moment is: I like Hanson and I really think they're underated because of the first albums Approve

What about you?
Testing 1...2...3..
RAY, IT'S NOT WORKING!

www.progshine.net

Your resource of Prog Rock with weekly Podcasts, reviews, interviews and many more.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2012 at 9:33pm
I'm not really ashamed of any of my musical preferences - I listen to metal, jazz, prog, classical, rap, and everything inbetween. If I were to cater to each of those groups, I wouldn't be proud of anything I listen to. "I like what I like" is the best way to put it. Smile

That being said, considering how much most metal fans seem to despise rap music, it might be best to keep my love for Wu-Tang Clan, Big Pun, Nas, NWA, Bone Thugs N Harmony, etc... in the closet.

I also like Disturbed quite a bit and I am a HUGE Cradle of Filth fan (nobody seems to like them anymore).

I hate metal purists, though, and my typical response to most of their elitist bullshit is "fuck you!" LOL
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
progshine View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2012 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

I'm not really ashamed of any of my musical preferences - I listen to metal, jazz, prog, classical, rap, and everything inbetween. If I were to cater to each of those groups, I wouldn't be proud of anything I listen to. "I like what I like" is the best way to put it. Smile

That being said, considering how much most metal fans seem to despise rap music, it might be best to keep my love for Wu-Tang Clan, Big Pun, Nas, NWA, Bone Thugs N Harmony, etc... in the closet.

I also like Disturbed quite a bit and I am a HUGE Cradle of Filth fan (nobody seems to like them anymore).

I hate metal purists, though, and my typical response to most of their elitist bullshit is "fuck you!" LOL

Clap

Same thinking here, even away from metal community I have such 'lookings', you know? When saying names from pop artists, for example...

It's like saying I like Love Beach on PA (Now I just laughed really loud) LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

Testing 1...2...3..
RAY, IT'S NOT WORKING!

www.progshine.net

Your resource of Prog Rock with weekly Podcasts, reviews, interviews and many more.
Diogenes View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diogenes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2012 at 10:27pm
Well, I don't really have any metalhead friends (aside from you guys, of course), and I gave up caring about what people think of the music I listen to a long time ago.  I would have to say that few of you would care for the '90s pop music I have on my computer, but I don't listen to it that much, really.

Korn?  Soulfly?  Deftones?  I'm really not ashamed at any of these.
progshine View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2012 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by Diogenes Diogenes wrote:

Well, I don't really have any metalhead friends (aside from you guys, of course), and I gave up caring about what people think of the music I listen to a long time ago.  I would have to say that few of you would care for the '90s pop music I have on my computer, but I don't listen to it that much, really.

Korn?  Soulfly?  Deftones?  I'm really not ashamed at any of these.

My favorite bands ever come from 90's pop scene: Fastball, Everclear, The Cardigans, New Radicals and many more Tongue

Edited by progshine - 21 Oct 2012 at 10:35pm
Testing 1...2...3..
RAY, IT'S NOT WORKING!

www.progshine.net

Tupan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 6:22am
I am in the same situation of Diogenes, today I don't care what the people think about my musical preferences.

I don't listen much things outside the metal/prog/jazz/post-rock realm, anyway. Maybe some brazilian rock from the 80's and 90's (Legi�o Urbana, Raimundos, Marcelo Nova, etc). But I consider none of them being a "guilty pleasure".
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 9:34am
I have both metalhead and non-metalhead friends, and I am not ashamed of any of the music the I like. Hell, I even have Ace of Base's Happy Nation in my collection, because I like three of the songs on the album (I don't care much for the rest of the album). And I'm not ashamed of the music I don't like either.

I don't care much for the elitism that characterizes the metal and prog communities, and if people get all wound up because I like Saint Anger and The End of Heartache or Invisible Touch or 90125, then they can take their corpse paint and silver capes and stuff 'em up their asses. It's not really my problem. I like what I like, and I don't like what I don't like. End of story.
progshine View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 11:58am
Originally posted by Time Signature Time Signature wrote:

and if people get all wound up because I like Saint Anger and The End of Heartache or Invisible Touch or 90125, then they can take their corpse paint and silver capes and stuff 'em up their asses.

LOLLOLLOL
Testing 1...2...3..
RAY, IT'S NOT WORKING!

www.progshine.net

Diogenes View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diogenes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by Time Signature Time Signature wrote:

I have both metalhead and non-metalhead friends, and I am not ashamed of any of the music the I like. Hell, I even have Ace of Base's Happy Nation in my collection

Haha, yeah that's actually one of the albums I was referring to. I really liked it when I was little and I guess it sorta stuck.
progshine View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 1:24pm
I guess everyone has some music that we really like because of one thing or another and it's considered 'crap'.

But that's the magic, don't give a damn and keep going hehehe

I also like Abba and Bee Gees, I even have 1 of Bee Gees Live album from their Disco era, and it's good! LOL
Testing 1...2...3..
RAY, IT'S NOT WORKING!

www.progshine.net

progshine View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by Tupan Tupan wrote:

I am in the same situation of Diogenes, today I don't care what the people think about my musical preferences.

I don't listen much things outside the metal/prog/jazz/post-rock realm, anyway. Maybe some brazilian rock from the 80's and 90's (Legi�o Urbana, Raimundos, Marcelo Nova, etc). But I consider none of them being a "guilty pleasure".

And pros to (most) of the BRock Tupan, I'm a heavy Engenheiros Do Hawaii fan  ClapClap
Testing 1...2...3..
RAY, IT'S NOT WORKING!

www.progshine.net

bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 1:32pm
I don't have too many metalhead friends outside MMA, and those who listen to metal are quite open-minded. So telling them that I listen to Grizzly Bear or Bj�rk would not bring any shame upon my head. I think metalheads are more open-minded in general these days, mostly due to unlimited and easy access to music regardless of genreWink 
IMPF2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IMPF2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 1:57pm
None really, I'm not ashamed of any music I listen to. I could care less what people think of my taste or not.
Tupan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 1:59pm
^Good point, Bartosso. People is not that intolerant anymore (although I don't know if this happens due to the easy access to music!).
progshine View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 2:08pm
So maybe the thing isn't that other might think.

Maybe the question could change to: What kind of music/bands that you never thought you would like but you do? Smoke

I always thought I was crazy, cause I like better the dance (omfg god, I hate dance music LOL) version (by Chamaleon) to Thats The Way It Is than the original Bruce Hornsby Head on wall LOL
Testing 1...2...3..
RAY, IT'S NOT WORKING!

www.progshine.net

IMPF2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IMPF2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 3:20pm
DragonForce. Used to hate them, I am now currently obsessed with them.

They are band I probably should be ashamed to admit I like, but I'm not, so fuck it.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 5:44pm
Originally posted by progshine progshine wrote:

Maybe the question could change to: What kind of music/bands that you never thought you would like but you do? Smoke

Far too many to count, but I never thought I'd like death metal as a whole - I heard it as just "noise" for a little while, but then Death, Opeth, and Morbid Angel opened my eyes. I thought black metal was all about burning shit to the ground and hailing Satan until I actually listened to it, I thought all rap music was just about "gettin' hoes and money", and I didn't ever think I'd like Frank Zappa's weird and eccentric style until I started listening to him. Jazz also struck me as 'boring' until I began listening to Kind of Blue, Head Hunters, Romantic Warrior, and a few other classics.

I don't have many reservations these days (although I am still a bit shocked whenever I come across a deathcore band that I actually like LOL), although I do obviously have a few genres that I tend to like more than others. Country, synthpop, and dubstep are a few that I probably won't ever develop a true liking to.
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Lynx33 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lynx33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 7:02pm
Do I feel any shame for music that I like or have liked? No, never. Rather, very sadly, the feeling that I have more and more often is disappointment. For example when I listen to some music I liked in my younger years in the late eighties - early nineties, or if I listen to some music that's said to be fantastic or cult or a mile-stone mandatory in metal circles then I don't like them at all. There are certainly some things with me that people might raise their eyebrow to for example, my favourite Genesis album is From Genesis To Revelation and I really can't stand Dark Side Of The Moon, I am digusted by Neal Morse's music, I have never liked James Hatfield's or Steven Wilson's voice or bands Guns 'N' Roses, Deep Purple, my favourite Iron Maiden album is The X Factor etc etc, and I really like glam metal, progressive metal, jazz fusion and classical music, the Icelandic electronic/experimental band M�m and the Italian pop singer Rino Gaetano at the same time but I am never ashamed of anything, moreover, I'm proud of my ramifying and unopportunistic tasteSmile

Edited by Lynx33 - 22 Oct 2012 at 7:22pm
All that is over. Today, I know how to celebrate beauty.
Tupan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 7:39pm
^Wow, you are an alien, Lynx!LOL
Diogenes View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diogenes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by Lynx33 Lynx33 wrote:

have never liked James Hatfield's or Steven Wilson's voice

Not really that ludicrous of an opinion IMO.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic