Shame On You!!!!????

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2012 at 9:24am
Originally posted by Stooge Stooge wrote:

I'm really not ashamed of music I listen to.  Except for the occasional t-shirt, I really don't do much to advertise what music I listen to.

I often wear metal t-shirts when I teach at university or attend staff meetings with my fellow academics. I'm not ashamed of that and, frankly, people don't seem to care anyway.
progshine View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 11:04pm
And let's put some Youtube magic here, let's present our 'shames' LOL

Testing 1...2...3..
RAY, IT'S NOT WORKING!

www.progshine.net

Your resource of Prog Rock with weekly Podcasts, reviews, interviews and many more.
Diogenes View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diogenes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by progshine progshine wrote:

Originally posted by Diogenes Diogenes wrote:

Originally posted by Lynx33 Lynx33 wrote:

have never liked Steven Wilson's voice

Not really that ludicrous of an opinion IMO.

I don't like any single note he ever put down on a record so give me the high five o/

LOLLOLLOL

\o
progshine View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 10:40pm

However, I'll add a bit of a guilty pleasure in the spirit of this topic.  My brother bought a Monkees record on the weekend, and I must say I like them.  Pop/rock in the sixties (Rock=Pop in that decade) has grown on me in a big way.  It was just cool how back then pretty much every song on pop records was recorded in studio by musicians on musical instruments.  The use of orchestration and vocal harmonies among other things made radio pop music much more memorable and demonstrated songcraft that allowed much of the bands from the era to continue to be remembered to this day.

On the nail Stooge.

Even the lamest record on 60's had 'music' on it, real musicians, real instruments, and yeah, the whole feel that even the poppiest song ever had to be well crafted.

That's why I like Mamas & Papas or Tom Jones, just to name a few.

But let me put one thing straight about the 60's... I FUCKING HATE ROLLING STONES!!!!!!!! Ok, now I feel better LOL

Simon & Garfunkel Cool

If you don't feel a single tiny bit of emotion as you listen to 'Bridge Over Troubled Waters' you have some heavy problems LOLLOL

One more 60's, tough I dont like him in mid 60's. 'Sylvia', by Elvis fa King.

Testing 1...2...3..
RAY, IT'S NOT WORKING!

www.progshine.net

Your resource of Prog Rock with weekly Podcasts, reviews, interviews and many more.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 10:36pm

However, I'll add a bit of a guilty pleasure in the spirit of this topic.  My brother bought a Monkees record on the weekend, and I must say I like them.  Pop/rock in the sixties (Rock=Pop in that decade) has grown on me in a big way.  It was just cool how back then pretty much every song on pop records was recorded in studio by musicians on musical instruments.  The use of orchestration and vocal harmonies among other things made radio pop music much more memorable and demonstrated songcraft that allowed much of the bands from the era to continue to be remembered to this day.

On the nail Stooge.

Even the lamest record on 60's had 'music' on it, real musicians, real instruments, and yeah, the whole feel that even the poppiest song ever had to be well crafted.

But let me put one thing straight about the 60's... I FUCKING HATE ROLLING STONES!!!!!!!! Ok, now I feel better LOL

Simon & Garfunkel Cool
progshine View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 10:32pm

On the nail Stooge.

Testing 1...2...3..
RAY, IT'S NOT WORKING!

www.progshine.net

progshine View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by Diogenes Diogenes wrote:

have never liked Steven Wilson's voice

I don't like any single note he ever put down on a record so give me the high five o/

LOLLOLLOL
Testing 1...2...3..
RAY, IT'S NOT WORKING!

www.progshine.net

Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 10:12pm
I'm really not ashamed of music I listen to.  Except for the occasional t-shirt, I really don't do much to advertise what music I listen to.  I'll open up my tastes as I get to know someone.  At first, I usually start with common ground and branch out from there when discussing music.

Edited by Stooge - 22 Oct 2012 at 10:23pm
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 8:56pm

I am digusted by Neal Morse's music

That's where I draw the line! Angry

Tongue

Edited by J-Man - 22 Oct 2012 at 8:56pm
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Diogenes View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diogenes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 8:33pm

have never liked James Hatfield's or Steven Wilson's voice

Tupan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 7:39pm
^Wow, you are an alien, Lynx!LOL
Lynx33 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lynx33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 7:02pm
Do I feel any shame for music that I like or have liked? No, never. Rather, very sadly, the feeling that I have more and more often is disappointment. For example when I listen to some music I liked in my younger years in the late eighties - early nineties, or if I listen to some music that's said to be fantastic or cult or a mile-stone mandatory in metal circles then I don't like them at all. There are certainly some things with me that people might raise their eyebrow to for example, my favourite Genesis album is From Genesis To Revelation and I really can't stand Dark Side Of The Moon, I am digusted by Neal Morse's music, I have never liked James Hatfield's or Steven Wilson's voice or bands Guns 'N' Roses, Deep Purple, my favourite Iron Maiden album is The X Factor etc etc, and I really like glam metal, progressive metal, jazz fusion and classical music, the Icelandic electronic/experimental band M�m and the Italian pop singer Rino Gaetano at the same time but I am never ashamed of anything, moreover, I'm proud of my ramifying and unopportunistic tasteSmile

Edited by Lynx33 - 22 Oct 2012 at 7:22pm
All that is over. Today, I know how to celebrate beauty.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 5:44pm

Maybe the question could change to: What kind of music/bands that you never thought you would like but you do? Smoke

Far too many to count, but I never thought I'd like death metal as a whole - I heard it as just "noise" for a little while, but then Death, Opeth, and Morbid Angel opened my eyes. I thought black metal was all about burning shit to the ground and hailing Satan until I actually listened to it, I thought all rap music was just about "gettin' hoes and money", and I didn't ever think I'd like Frank Zappa's weird and eccentric style until I started listening to him. Jazz also struck me as 'boring' until I began listening to Kind of Blue, Head Hunters, Romantic Warrior, and a few other classics.

I don't have many reservations these days (although I am still a bit shocked whenever I come across a deathcore band that I actually like LOL), although I do obviously have a few genres that I tend to like more than others. Country, synthpop, and dubstep are a few that I probably won't ever develop a true liking to.
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
IMPF2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IMPF2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 3:20pm
DragonForce. Used to hate them, I am now currently obsessed with them.

They are band I probably should be ashamed to admit I like, but I'm not, so fuck it.
progshine View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 2:08pm
So maybe the thing isn't that other might think.

Maybe the question could change to: What kind of music/bands that you never thought you would like but you do? Smoke

I always thought I was crazy, cause I like better the dance (omfg god, I hate dance music LOL) version (by Chamaleon) to Thats The Way It Is than the original Bruce Hornsby Head on wall LOL
Testing 1...2...3..
RAY, IT'S NOT WORKING!

www.progshine.net

Tupan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 1:59pm
^Good point, Bartosso. People is not that intolerant anymore (although I don't know if this happens due to the easy access to music!).
IMPF2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IMPF2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 1:57pm
None really, I'm not ashamed of any music I listen to. I could care less what people think of my taste or not.
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 1:32pm
I don't have too many metalhead friends outside MMA, and those who listen to metal are quite open-minded. So telling them that I listen to Grizzly Bear or Bj�rk would not bring any shame upon my head. I think metalheads are more open-minded in general these days, mostly due to unlimited and easy access to music regardless of genreWink 
progshine View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by Tupan Tupan wrote:

I am in the same situation of Diogenes, today I don't care what the people think about my musical preferences.

I don't listen much things outside the metal/prog/jazz/post-rock realm, anyway. Maybe some brazilian rock from the 80's and 90's (Legi�o Urbana, Raimundos, Marcelo Nova, etc). But I consider none of them being a "guilty pleasure".

And pros to (most) of the BRock Tupan, I'm a heavy Engenheiros Do Hawaii fan  ClapClap
Testing 1...2...3..
RAY, IT'S NOT WORKING!

www.progshine.net

progshine View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progshine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2012 at 1:24pm
I guess everyone has some music that we really like because of one thing or another and it's considered 'crap'.

But that's the magic, don't give a damn and keep going hehehe

I also like Abba and Bee Gees, I even have 1 of Bee Gees Live album from their Disco era, and it's good! LOL
Testing 1...2...3..
RAY, IT'S NOT WORKING!

www.progshine.net

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic