Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Your recent audio/hi-fi purchases

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Your recent audio/hi-fi purchases
    Posted: 10 Oct 2012 at 3:57pm
I just ordered these headphones and I thought it's a good opportunity to start this threadStar

Sennheiser hd 518

I really hope these cans are going to be good, I need something to replace my old set. I was actually using koss porta pros since  the mini jack of my senns px 200 broke. They sound  great for portable use but they get on my nerves with their bassy sound and lack of air. I've listened to these in a store and they sounded promising.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2012 at 2:36pm
Cool thread idea.  Haven't got anything lately though, nor do I plan on it.  Oh well! LOL
IMPF2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IMPF2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2012 at 2:50pm
I need to get a new pair of headphones. Like soon. Literally every single one I had is broken and only works in one ear now. The only pair I left that works in both ears is a really crappy one I got at an airport a couple of years ago, and hadn't really used since.
Daysbetween View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daysbetween Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2012 at 3:35pm
These are my current headphones but would love to upgrade if I had the funds. The Sennheiser HD580 have server me well for many years and are comfortable with a rich and not too bassy sound.

bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2012 at 3:56pm
^ ohhh man I heard a lot about these headphones, they must sound amazing Bowdown unfortunately they're way beyond my budget. The 518s I bought were already kinda expensive to me, sound great though. 

EDIT: Ouups, it seems they've already been taken off the shelves and can be bought used quite cheap given the quality they represent. They're replaced with hd 600/650 I guess... those cost around 400 - 500 $.

Edited by bartosso - 20 Oct 2012 at 4:19pm
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2012 at 4:27pm
I'd probably only be willing to spend that kind of dough on headphones if I ever got super serious into recording/mixing/editing/mastering/etc.  I just use earbuds on my Sony Walkman MP3 player, and Sony MDR-ZX100s when listening through my computer.

Edited by Stooge - 20 Oct 2012 at 4:28pm
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daysbetween Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2012 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by bartosso bartosso wrote:

Ouups, it seems they've already been taken off the shelves and can be bought used quite cheap given the quality they represent. They're replaced with hd 600/650 I guess... those cost around 400 - 500 $.

Yeah, as I said I've had these a good few years and the 600/650 would be about the equivalent in the current range. I really want the HD800's or an even better pair of Grado's.

bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2012 at 11:36am
^ I don't think I could hear any difference between these hd 800 (1400 $) and hd 600 (400$). I mean even if the sound is better, it was already good enough to begin with. Besides you need a good source for that kind of high impedance headphones. 

I'm currently saving money for some decent DAC to make my hd 518 sound more dynamic. 
I was thinking about this one:

But I think I'll buy this, it's cheaper, more versatile and even if it's worse sound-wise, I think my headphones don't need anything better:

Creative is kind of despised by the audiophile community, but this DAC got lots of good opinions. And I can afford it, which is its biggest advantage Wink
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2012 at 3:44pm
I've finally bought the Creative X-FI HD, got it earlier today and I'm testing it now. I can safely recommend it, it's very good Thumbs Up Software works fine, sound's much better than some onboard integra (I have a Dell Inspiron laptop), headphone amp works mighty fine for semi-audiophile headphones. Excellent stuff for the money. Works great with hd 518. I can finally resume spending my pathetic income on music...
Lynx33 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lynx33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2012 at 5:31pm
I've been planning for some time to replace this

but only if I have money for a better one
All that is over. Today, I know how to celebrate beauty.
Eria Tarka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eria Tarka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2012 at 8:34pm
Just got these babies.. a little pricey for in-ear headphones but they sound magnificent. 

Edited by bytor2112 - 15 Dec 2012 at 8:34pm
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2013 at 7:09pm
So, you won't believe this but I got an audio interface as a present from my teacher with whom we're making music on the occasion of Francophonie Day at our department. It's pretty crazy, he wants me to teach him some guitar in exchange. That's what he gave me:

Prodipe Studio 22 Pro

I can finally record my music with real instruments instead of guitar pro RSE Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daysbetween Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2013 at 7:10am
Took your advice and invested in the Creative also as an xmas gift to myself. I am very happy with this upgrade at such a small outlay. Works fine with MP3's as well as FLAC and the sound on my hd580 headphones definitely seems improved. Recommended Clap
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2015 at 5:16pm

Only thing I don't like about vinyl is having to replace these. 
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2015 at 10:41am
Just demoed and bought this new Roksan K3 CD player to replace my broken Arcan CD92. Sounds great but have to wait a few days while they order one.

Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2015 at 6:08pm
^ I've picked it up today. Listening to it at home has made me realise how much more bottom end this kicks out than my old Arcam cd92. Sounds awesome!
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2017 at 12:23pm
Spolit myself with this Clearaudio Concept turnatable....

Sounding awesome!

Edited by Nightfly - 20 Oct 2017 at 12:23pm
BitterJalapeno View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Grunge/Post-grunge & Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BitterJalapeno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2021 at 10:58am
Just treated myself to a set of Sennheiser HD 660S and Mastodon's Crack the Skye has never sounded better 😀
Star baby, did you deep fry a piece of the Great Barrier Reef?
Kilimmaic View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kilimmaic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2023 at 6:19am
Apple AirPods Max. I've been eyeing these headphones for the longest time and I finally took the plunge. The audio quality is mind-blowing, and the comfort level is next level. In my view, totally worth the investment. By the way, who know does tophatter still work? I want to make some purchases more but the site doesn't open.

Edited by Kilimmaic - 15 Nov 2023 at 6:48am
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic