Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A civil discussion about Nickelback

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote renkls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A civil discussion about Nickelback
    Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 2:00am
Though I do not personally enjoy Nickelbacks music I am well aware that they are oft well hated on in the metal community, and indeed just as much so, if not more outside. What I am curious of, is what they have done to deserve this criticism.
From what I can tell, it's fundamentally due to them being ridiculously successful despite rehashing the same song structure and style over and over again. While I'm not one for the redundant way of creating music, I don't treat them with too much animosity.
So, this topic is basically just a place where I guess for those who have heard of their work to share their views as well as their opinions on how they are frequently bashed for their artistic choices.
I just thought of this, because Nickelback is indeed on these archives.

Edited by renkls - 09 Sep 2012 at 2:08am
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 2:53am
I�ve only listened to the "hits" so I can�t comment on the body of their work. Personally I usually find mainstream rock/heavy rock boring as hell (especially song structures), and Nickelback (the songs that I�ve heard) fall under that catagory.
renkls View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote renkls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 3:50am
I think it's probably the lack of ambition that I find boring, and that'd be in the song structure department most prominently. It definitely seems to lack substance.
renkls View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote renkls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 3:53am
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 6:51am
It�s also too clean and polished for my tastes, lacking bite and aggression.
IMPF2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IMPF2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 7:38am
renkls View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote renkls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 7:53am
Originally posted by IMPF2112 IMPF2112 wrote:

Note the word 'civil' in the topic title.
So I gather you feel there are no redeeming factors whatsoever?
IMPF2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IMPF2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 8:53am
Originally posted by renkls renkls wrote:

Note the word 'civil' in the topic title.
So I gather you feel there are no redeeming factors whatsoever?

yes. absolutely.
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 11:14am
Not much to discuss - metal community hates sell outs.

Edited by bartosso - 09 Sep 2012 at 11:14am
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 11:25am
Too bland for my tastes.  At times, they've sound like a watered down Alice In Chains.  At others, a watered-down Metallica.  The Canadian content rules on the radio/tv shove this band down our throats up here, not to mention a ton of other mediocre rock acts.  I don't understand how radio/tv doesn't fill their Canadian quota with a variety of bands instead of the same 5 at any given time.  I thought payola was supposed to be illegal/dead. Angry
IMPF2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IMPF2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by bartosso bartosso wrote:

>implying they were ever good to begin with
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 1:20pm

I don't know, I actually meant that they're just making music for money and nothing else, probably misused the word "sell out" here (?)
Diogenes View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diogenes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 3:36pm

I don't know, I actually meant that they're just making music for money and nothing else, probably misused the word "sell out" here (?)

Yeah, selling out means that a band or artist changes their style of music to fit the current trend in order to make more money.  See Metallica's Black Album, the latest Korn album, etc.

To me, Nickelback is just another radio rock band spearheading the post-grunge movement that was really popular at the start of the 2000s.  I don't really pay attention to that sort of thing because I don't listen to the radio at all, but I just thought it was funny how much they were being promoted last year after being basically irrelevant for the previous 3.  If anything, they stand out just because they're a bunch of douchebags, and not for any musical reasons.
IMPF2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IMPF2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by Diogenes Diogenes wrote:

Yeah, selling out means that a band or artist changes their style of music to fit the current trend in order to make more money.  See Metallica's Black Album, the latest Korn album, etc.

To me, Nickelback is just another radio rock band spearheading the post-grunge movement that was really popular at the start of the 2000s.  I don't really pay attention to that sort of thing because I don't listen to the radio at all, but I just thought it was funny how much they were being promoted last year after being basically irrelevant for the previous 3.  If anything, they stand out just because they're a bunch of douchebags, and not for any musical reasons.

I'm assuming you don't live in Canada, because here everyone treats them as the greatest thing since sliced bread.
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 6:11pm

Yeah, selling out means that a band or artist changes their style of music to fit the current trend in order to make more money.  
Then how do you call a band that begins their career with a style that fits the current trend in order to make big money from the very beginning?Wink
IMPF2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IMPF2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 6:14pm

Yeah, selling out means that a band or artist changes their style of music to fit the current trend in order to make more money.  
Then how do you call a band that begins their career with a style that fits the current trend in order to make big money from the very beginning?Wink

shit
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 6:15pm
LOL
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 6:32pm
Along with what's been mentioned, Chad Kroeger has an objectively bad singing voice.  It's just gross.

I'm assuming you don't live in Canada, because here everyone treats them as the greatest thing since sliced bread.

I live in Canada and have never met somebody who likes Nickelback... or at least not enough to admit it.

J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 7:34pm
Nickelback is one of those bands where they are just so painfully mediocre that it's tough to have any respect for them. Sure, I guess they aren't completely atrocious, but the fact that they sell millions of records for being below average is mind-blowing. I'd take them over most of the popular shit out there these days, but that isn't saying very much...
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Diogenes View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diogenes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 7:34pm

Nope.  That's a shame to hear though.  There are so many talented artists up there, but Canada seems to get a bad rap for the few garbage ones.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic