MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best Screamers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Dilley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Screamers
    Posted: 08 Sep 2012 at 4:26pm
All right people. I wanna know! Who do you think is the best screamer out there and who are the 9 fools that trail behind him/her?

Obviously metal has the most screamers, but if you know a screamer who isn't really in a metal group, they're fair game too (for example, believe it or not Dave Grohl can scream his nuts off, and he's decent at it, or maybe you are into screamo and we're all missing out on some great screams, lol)! And I wanna know who you think has the best scream, not just who the most talented screamer who also does other stuff as well (Akerfeldt, for example). You don't really have to put 'em in a top 10 though, and you can include someone's screams from their heyday, before they ruined their vocal chords... So, let 'er rip!

mine are in no particular order...

1. Jamie Hooper - 3 inches of blood - scariest, most unreal (yet somehow real. I saw him do it live) scream
2. Anders Friden - In Flames - check out "Worlds Within the Margin" from Whoracle, masterful. lost his voice, though.
3. Aaron Turner - ISIS
4. Abbath - Immortal - most unrelenting, though I can't say I dig those guys that much.
5. Shagrath - not much to say, just all around neato.
6. Brian Fair - Shadows Fall's quality has deteriorated progressively with each album, but I like his voice.
7. Angela Gossow - Arch Enemy - better than a lot of dudes
8. Johan Hegg - Amon Amarth
9. Mikael Stanne - Dark Tranquility - totally ruined his voice, but he makes it work on the albums.
10. Bjorn Strid - Soilwork - his shouty screaming comes off as really punk to me.

honorable mention: Corey Taylor, Ivan Moody, and M. Shadows. THey're not really screamers (well, shadows used to be) but when they get close it's still pretty badass.

I'm sure I missed a bunch of talented people, but hey. there ya go. Take it away, metalheads!

Edited by Nick Dilley - 11 Sep 2012 at 1:59pm

www.withinareverie.blogspot.com
soundcloud.com/withinareverie
facebook.com/withinareverie
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2012 at 5:28pm
When I saw Cattle Decapitation live in 2007, I was quite impressed with the vocalist (Travis Ryan?) and his screaming abilities.
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2012 at 7:31pm
Obligatory mention: Lord Worm (ex-Cryptopsy) and David Hunt (Anaal Nathrakh)

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 2:51am
Screamers usually turn me off completely. But there are exceptions like Dave Hunt, who takes that singing approach to the limit and beyond.
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by Stooge Stooge wrote:

When I saw Cattle Decapitation live in 2007, I was quite impressed with the vocalist (Travis Ryan?) and his screaming abilities.

Travis Ryan is incredible. His wide range of growling and screaming styles is truly amazing and I'd even venture to say that his approach to vocals is experimental and artistic. 

Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2012 at 4:21pm
Neige (Alcest, Mortifera) performs some of my favourite harsh vocals
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 7:21am
Originally posted by bartosso bartosso wrote:

Travis Ryan is incredible. His wide range of growling and screaming styles is truly amazing and I'd even venture to say that his approach to vocals is experimental and artistic. 

And according to the booklet for Monolith of Humanity, "All vocals are 100% organically produced with 0% GMO with only 2% daily allowance of reverb and delay.  All natural ingredients.  No additives or preservatives."
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2012 at 10:56am
Originally posted by Wilytank Wilytank wrote:

Originally posted by bartosso bartosso wrote:

And according to the booklet for Monolith of Humanity, "All vocals are 100% organically produced with 0% GMO with only 2% daily allowance of reverb and delay.  All natural ingredients.  No additives or preservatives."
haha I love these guys LOL
Nick Dilley View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Dilley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2012 at 1:58pm
Nice posts everyone!

As you can tell from my OP, most of my tastes in screamers borders on semi-mainstream metal. I know about half of the guys you mentioned here, but now have a few more to check out!

www.withinareverie.blogspot.com
soundcloud.com/withinareverie
facebook.com/withinareverie
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic