Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hard Rock and Heavy Metal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Windhawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hard Rock and Heavy Metal
    Posted: 26 Mar 2010 at 12:18am
Where do you draw the line between what's considered hard rock and heavy metal?

Back in the day Steppenwolf was considered a heavy metal band for instance - cue the immortal line from Born to be Wild: "Heavy Metal Thunder".

I see that in the database here quite a few acts that many would describe as hard rock (Blue Oyster Cult for instance) are added in, hence the question.
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2010 at 12:27am

I think that it is a certainly good discussion.
Initial Sabbath might have had elements of a few Blues. And, there was a little part of Punk in initial Maiden, too. Slayer had aimed at the element that mixed Punk with the element of Maiden.

The player might not be specifying the genre. There might be a part where the listener and the fan specify the genre by thinking overall, too.

Windhawk View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Windhawk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2010 at 12:43am
Oh, Slayer and other "modern" acts are indisputable.

But Aerosmith are added in here, Blue Oyster Cult, Deep Purple. Should we also expect Steppenwolf - or perhaps Nazareth or even Jethro Tull? The latter of which actually earned a metal wards prize in the late 80's ;-)
Kazuhiro View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kazuhiro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2010 at 12:55am

Yes. Certainly.

It is felt that they are Hard Rock even if the sound that Deep Purple and Aerosmith are intense is taken.

It is described that the borderline of Hard Rock and Heavy Metal is vague when examining it with Wikipedia. It is said that Blues Rock is a keynote in Hard Rock. There might be a part that derives on the boundary of Punk Rock, too.

Can you apply it here as an item of "HR/HM"?Perhaps, it thinks this site to be a gathering of information on "Metal" with the large heart.

Raff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2010 at 6:34am
I asked M@x to add BOC, but am not particularly convinced about the 'traditional HM' tag. BOC, just like Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin, are not really heavy metal, though they may have influenced the genre.

Anyway, if I may offer a suggestion, another metal site called the BNR Metal Pages has a Hard Rock category for acts such as Aerosmith, BOC; DP, LZ, AC/DC, Thin Lizzy and the like - check here if you want:
http://www.bnrmetal.com/v2/genre.php?ID=H

On the other hand, in Traditional Metal they have, among many others, Judas Priest and UFO (the latter a bit of an odd choice IMHO):

http://www.bnrmetal.com/v2/genre.php?ID==

bonnek View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bonnek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2010 at 7:22am

BNR Metal Pages!
Man I have spent internet time there.

On the issue, metal starts with Black Sabbath, followed by Priest and everything after.
Zeppelin, Heep, Purple and the bands they inspired in the 70's weren't evil enough. Evil Smile
PROGMAN View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROGMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2010 at 11:51am
Black Sabbath, Budgie, Metallica, Uriah Heep, Deep Purple, Led Zep, G n R, and so on.
IknowSATAN View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IknowSATAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2010 at 11:59am
Originally posted by PROGMAN PROGMAN wrote:

Black Sabbath, Budgie, Metallica, Uriah Heep, Deep Purple, Led Zep, G n R, and so on.

Hm ?
rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors and Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2010 at 12:36pm
I have a similar question regarding the term Alternative Metal.  Is this the same as Nu Metal, or is it an overlapping or entirely different category?
Kashmir75 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kashmir75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 5:03am
I've always thought of them as one and the same. Hard rock (Purple, Sabbath, etc) can be seen as the origins of what we now call heavy metal.
Kashmir75 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kashmir75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 5:05am
Originally posted by bonnek bonnek wrote:

BNR Metal Pages!
Man I have spent internet time there.

On the issue, metal starts with Black Sabbath, followed by Priest and everything after.
Zeppelin, Heep, Purple and the bands they inspired in the 70's weren't evil enough. Evil Smile

Yeah, nothing else in the 70s was quite as evil as Sabbath was. Zeppelin, Heep, Purple, etc, were heavy, yes, but not really evil.
Certif1ed View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Certif1ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 7:58am
Seems easy enough when you listen, but putting it into words is kinda tough...

To me, this from Dust in 1972 is "proper" Heavy Metal, while this, from their debut of 1971 is Hard Rock. This track from Jeronimo sounds like metal, while this sounds like Hard Rock.

Bands like Deep Purple and Led Zep played a few tunes that hinted at metal, but were really rooted in Hard Rock, with kinda progressive leanings - touches of classical in Purple's case and touches of folk in Zeppelin's, but no serious excursions into territory outside of pentatonic blues-based Hard Rock - with the possible exception of "Child in Time", which was plundered wholesale from jazz/psych rock group It's a Beautiful Day.

On a simple, superficial level, one difference between Hard Rock and Heavy Metal is in the lyrics. Hair Metal apart, metal tends to stay away from songs about relationships and love, preferring a more cult-driven thing. That doesn't mean the same as occult or evil, more that it tends to be about the cult of heavy metal and all the trappings, e.g. "Denim and Leather", "Heavy Metal Mania", "Rainbow Warrior".

I also think that Hard Rock has more "swing" to it - metal does not swing, it swaggers and stomps.

Kinda suggests that Wishbone Ash should be honorary metal heads... but that music sounds like Hard Rock to me... Tongue

...anyway, I wrote a long thread on the History of metal over at Music Banter a while back, and metal did NOT start with Steppenwolf's "Heavy Metal Thunder" - another band had already used the name more than a year earlier, and that band was not only the first band that Jimi Hendrix jammed with as a newcomer to England, but a band which influenced Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, Led Zeppelin, Blue Oyster Cult and Judas Priest. Enjoy.
FusionKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FusionKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 12:21pm
I don't think Sabbath, Deep Purple or Zeppelin are Heavy Metal at all... too many bluesy and proggy moments in all of them. As far as I can see, Heavy Metal begins with Judas Priest and Motorhead.
Certif1ed View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Certif1ed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by FusionKing FusionKing wrote:

I don't think Sabbath, Deep Purple or Zeppelin are Heavy Metal at all... too many bluesy and proggy moments in all of them. As far as I can see, Heavy Metal begins with Judas Priest and Motorhead.

On the whole I agree with the first part - but I think Sabbath are a special case, because of their extensive use of tritones in riffs, which has been an integral part of a large proportion of metal since the mid 1980s (although much less during the NWoBHM), and their dark lyrical content. Sabbath really began the move away from blues, as far as hard rock is concerned - but again, it wasn't until the mid 1980s that this became a strong feature of the genre.

As far as metal beginning with Priest and Motorhead, again, I'd like that to be true - but Priest's first album was actually very proggy in nature - and suspiciously like Black Sabbath in many places (hardly surprising, given that both bands were from Birmingham, UK, and produced by Rodger Bain). Their "metal" style didn't start until their 2nd or 3rd album, and the whole style was rooted in that established by The Sweet (another Birmingham band) a couple of years earlier, who evolved their heavy style mainly, it would seem, from fellow Brummies Slade. The Sweet were also minorly proggy on the title track of "Fanny Adams" and a few select other tracks.

Motorhead have always declared themselves rock and roll - and the music would seem to back that up to a point. That point stops at Motorhead's unique sound (I say unique, but it clearly evolved from the Pink Fairies and Hawkwind) - which has rarely been emulated by other bands, except maybe nods and winks in Kirk Hammett's solos, etc. Given it's so "unique", it didn't really inspire other metal bands - unlike Priest/Sweet, whose riffs are prevalent in almost any NWoBHM band you care to mention.

I think Metal began with The Scorpions and UFO, if it didn't begin with The Sweet - and the Sabbath influences came in much later, along with punk influences (The Damned particularly, who released the very first punk album - before the Vibrators or the Sex Pistols - and also had the speed that would evolve into thrash).

While some earlier bands had "traits" - Spooky Tooth had the name and the underlying Cream-inherited style, Blue Cheer had the volume, Steppenwolf have the (misplaced) fame, Coven had the occult and devil's horns, Screaming Lord Sutch had the theatricalities, and bands such as Dust and Jeronimo accidentally hit on the sound a couple of brief times, The Scorps and UFO had Uli Roth and Michael Schenker - two of the most formative and definitive metal guitarists ever to rub shoulders with Gary Moore.

Big smile
PROGMAN View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PROGMAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 7:56pm
Grunge has some heavy metal influence even if it is stretchy from a metal point of view?
Kashmir75 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kashmir75 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2010 at 8:57pm
I think Sabbath invented just about every metal subgenre, personally. Name a genre, they have a song for it. Doom metal? Most certainly. 'Hand of Doom', 'Black Sabbath'. Thrash metal? 'Children of the Grave', 'Symptom of the Universe'. Symphonic metal? 'Megalomania'. Prog metal? Most of the album Sabbath Bloody Sabbath.
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2010 at 3:24pm
Hmmm,

I see Deep Purple in all forms that have been mentioned, Prog, Blues, Funk, Jazz/Fusion, hard Rock
and Metal.  Think of some of the "Riffage" Blackmore and Lord would Harmonize with, and that the
songs would turn into alot of different catagories, thats why I always classify them as a Prog or
Post-Prog Metal Band, seeing that they "progressed" the idea of Hard Rock at that time.
I wonder, as I dont have that specific memory as a Kid then, was the moniker "Heavy Metal" even
used, I remember some of this music termed as "Acid Rock" as well, but that may be ignorance on
part with Critics that didnt know what to properly call it.
As far as early Metal or "seeds"  go, lets not forget MC5, Blue Cheer and Iggy Pop and the Stooges,
not only Hard Rock/Heavy Metal, but the Punk Movement (Remember, Punk is not percise, its meant
to be "No holds bared" and raw, and its structure is built around Rock and Roll Blues, that why
"Nazi Punk" makes no sense to me Tongue).  But Sabbath are definately an early form of Metal (there is
debate that "Pentagram" was the 1st though with the brand of Doom Metal- the U.S. Band).
And its wild that Iron Maiden when they started were very influenced by Punk, and you can here it
on their debut.  Just like from Punk and Hard Rock/Heavy Metal to "Crossover" to Thrash.
Its gotta' come from somewhere kids Wink.

Just my opinion on it all Wink.

By the way, I have a REALLY hard time with the term "Hair Metal", God I hate that, that means "Anyone"
with long hair is considered that? Grunge had long-hairs too, it doesnt seem like a catagory, just a
mocking of us with long hair and a fashion statement . . . blaaaAAAAaHHH!Angry
but I degress (or deflate).

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 17 Jul 2010 at 5:48am
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
goskoski View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goskoski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2011 at 5:24pm
Sometimes, it is difficult to hear if the song is hardrock or metal.

Rock music is vocal music, while metal music is guitar music. If the vocals dominated and are the most important instrument, then it is rock music, but if the guitars dominate and the song depends on the guitars then it is metal music. The manner the guitars are played is not important here.

If the drumset is the most important instrument of the song then it is beat music. If the bass guitar is the dominating instrument then it would be groove music such as Punk, RocknRoll, Blues, or Paso Doble.

In case of hardrock the vocals are the dominating instrument, while the guitars are just supplementary instruments or minor instruments. The word "hard" is referring to the voice which is rough and hard, while the distorted guitars are just there to emphasize

A clue to hear the different is to listen to karaoke versions of a song. If the karaoke version can be used as an instrumental song that does not need vocals then it is metal, but if the karaoke does not sound like an instrumental song and the missing of the vocals renders the song incomplete then it is rock music.

However, it you remove the guitars and leave the vocals then you hear that the song sounds complete because the song depends on the vocals, but if we remove the guitars from a metal song then it becomes an incomplete song.
goskoski View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goskoski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2011 at 5:28pm

The mixture of rock and steel is called Concrete. Maybe, we should call it concrete music. Just kidding.LOL

Pelata View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pelata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2011 at 7:50pm
The Hard Rock/Heavy Metal debate is one that always results in some seriously subjective genre-splitting...I don't know if I even wanna get started...LOL! LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic