MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Oriental Metal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Erased Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oriental Metal
    Posted: 10 Apr 2010 at 4:30pm
I love middle-eastern sounding music.

I love heavy music.

Fusing both, for me, is therefore superduper awesome. Any other fans of these sorts of bands? I've not explored much beyond Orphaned Land (who I adore) and Myrath, whilst a few prog bands such as Jericco and Karnivool touch on this sort of sound.

Any more recommendations?
Nightfly View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Death, D/S/D, T/S/G Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nightfly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 2:55pm
When i saw the title of this thread I thought it was going to be about bands like Loudness and Vow Wow, 2 metal bands from Japan. I don't think they'll fit the bill though with what you're looking for having a much more western approach in terms of music, though an obvious Japanese inflection in the vocals

For an eastern sound check out Led Zeppelin's Kashmir if you haven't already.

micky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by Citizen Erased Citizen Erased wrote:

I love middle-eastern sounding music.

I love heavy music.

Fusing both, for me, is therefore superduper awesome. Any other fans of these sorts of bands? I've not explored much beyond Orphaned Land (who I adore) and Myrath, whilst a few prog bands such as Jericco and Karnivool touch on this sort of sound.

Any more recommendations?

yeah... is 'oriental' far-eastern what you are looking for or middle east 'arabic' metal. I remember Assaf knocked my socks off with a prog metal group from Israel that incorporated the rich arabic music tradition.  Frickin GREAT stuff....  then I suppose there is a lot of Moorish inspired stuff... flamenco metal. 
Raff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 7:17pm
That was Orphaned Land, which the OP mentioned in his first post... They are indeed a wonderful band, and I suspect there are not many others that sound like them. 
micky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 7:19pm
ahhh...   thanks darling...   couldn't for the life of me remember the group's name.   Assaf is one of those that when he suggests something.. you'd be a fool not to check it out.  Really.. completely enjoyed that.  Would also be interested to know in that same vein.

now that I'm with the program here.. that Oriental stuff threw me off there LOL
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2010 at 3:52am
Simple,

As I'm going through the Posts with Bands from unusual Countries, put up Asian or Oriental Metal
at YOUtube, you'll see alot from the Philipines, Taiwan, China, India etc. (Same with Middle Eastern).
Also watch the "Global Metal" Documentary, the best part is all the Bands from Asia and Middle East!
And Orphaned Land and Myrath are awesome! Try "Amaseffer", "Melechesh", as-well as
"Acrassicauda" from the Doc. "Heavy Metal in Baghdad",  their 1st EP just came out Tuesday and it
kicks ass!
Big smile

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 16 Apr 2010 at 3:59am
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
FusionKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FusionKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2010 at 3:08pm
Check this out, a song called 'Pencere' by a Turkish bloke called Ogun Sanlisoy. Kinda grungy.
lucas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lucas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2010 at 4:19pm
Not metal but the swiss alternative rock Maniacs released an album with an egyptian band playing traditional music, Sharkiat. And the meeting of both worlds works very well !

Citizen Erased View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Erased Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2010 at 1:20pm
Ta guys.

Yeah, I specifically meant middle-eastern bands really but I enjoy bands that tend to naturally employ their regional style to metal anyway, and that includes eastern Asian bands too.
topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2010 at 12:05pm
The lack of Nile in this thread is painful. For shame! Angry

Anyways, definitely heavier than the bands you're looking for probably, but incredibly good technical death metal.
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2010 at 4:33pm
Hey CE,
topo brings up a good point, did you want Oriental/Asian/Middle Eastern Bands from their perspective
Countries (with their influences)?  Or ANY Band with those Continents influencial sounds?
Then Nile is a great example of Extreme Metal with Egyptian/Middle Eastern influences Thumbs Up.
Also if you are in a "mellower" mood, try Marty Friedman (ex-Megadeth) and his 2 Solo Albums
"Scenes" and "Intermission" that are very influenced by Japanese Traditional Music and he
sometimes makes his Guitar sound like a "Shamisen" Big smile.  He speakes Japanese like a native and is
a Big Celeb there as he makes alot of TV appearances (and he lives in Japan now)!  He also plays
Metal guitar with traditional Female Japanese singers, its pretty amazing!

I'd put up some Vids from the 2 albums from YOUtube but I might get Ouch.
But this may be METAL enough Wink:

Man... I dont know why but this makes me a bit emotional,
gives me shivers up my spine . . . beautiful.  :guitarbang2:
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
alberto mu�oz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alberto mu�oz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2010 at 9:30am
I also thought that it was about Loudness...
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2012 at 1:19am
Well thought I'd add some stuff,

This thread was a little neglected as we are all probably being exposed to more bands from the
Orient and Middle East.

But after I was looking more into this excellent band "Escher's Knot" . . .

I came across these compilations of various Indian/Hindi Bands, some of
them sound super interesting Big smile . . .
(Look at the details below Vids as they have Names of Bands and their sites):

You can imagine most of these guys are probably on a shoestring budget yet keeping the
Metal scene alive and growing, so more METAL FISTS to them and I hope their industry grows.

Heres some more discoveries . . .

Israeli Metal:

More . . .

Narjahanam from Bahrain Iran:

(what a gorgeous Logo)

Sand Aura from Egypt:

Al-Namrood from Saudi Arabia:

Folk Metal from . . . Afghanastan! Al Qaynah:

Shangren (not quite sure theyre from China but influenced):

ChthoniC from Taiwan:

(pronounced "Sonic"), I have a "Best Of", seems they are
becoming more streamlined from their Black Metal days).

Arkan from France w-Saudi Arabian background:

From 2011 (I need to get this):

Live (love watching the Female singer dance :):

I'm sure we'll add more.

. . .  .  start your trip down the Orient Express and across Deserts sands Smile.

I'll add others soon, that many may have not heard of, but the many others that have, go ahead
and add them as well Wink.

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 08 Feb 2012 at 1:37am

DefinitionOfHatred View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DefinitionOfHatred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2012 at 5:30am
I have once heard of an Iraqi black metal band, I think that their album is called Fatwa Against Islam. I will post a vid when I find one.
Why is six afraid of seven? Because seven ate nine.
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2012 at 5:40am
I think I saw that, its like their own version of Anti-Christian Metal and boy do they have some comments
under their Vids Stern Smile.

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 08 Feb 2012 at 5:46am

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DefinitionOfHatred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2012 at 9:39am
The band I was talking about is called Seeds of Ibilis, their album is called Jihad Against Islam (not Fatwa). I found this vid:

I guess that the American invasion of Iraq made vast changes on the Iraqi youth...LOL

Edited by DefinitionOfHatred - 08 Feb 2012 at 9:40am
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2012 at 10:48am
Originally posted by DefinitionOfHatred DefinitionOfHatred wrote:

The band I was talking about is called Seeds of Ibilis, their album is called Jihad Against Islam (not Fatwa). I found this vid:

I guess that the American invasion of Iraq made vast changes on the Iraqi youth...LOL

Well, when you put it that way, it sounds like a good thing. Tongue
Tupan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2012 at 11:33am
Originally posted by Wilytank Wilytank wrote:

Originally posted by DefinitionOfHatred DefinitionOfHatred wrote:

Well, when you put it that way, it sounds like a good thing. Tongue

THis is the angry against the tyrannical fundamentalist, not direct american influence. Iran have black metal bands too.
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2012 at 2:46pm
Yup Tupan,

As I said before, if you go to YOUtube and see the "Comments", you can see Pro-Islamist (maybe
Radicals to be precise) condemning them in ways . . . most Metal fans fear to tread.Confused.

I was going to put the Vid up and thought no, the Jihad against ME on top of my own problems is
quite enough.Stern Smile I have no problems with anyone who believes in the true word of Islam.

But anyway . . .

I hope this gets more people to put up cool vids Big smile (and maybe "tolerance" too while enjoying the
exotic musics).

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 08 Feb 2012 at 2:51pm

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DefinitionOfHatred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2012 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by Tupan Tupan wrote:

THis is the angry against the tyrannical fundamentalist, not direct american influence. Iran have black metal bands too.

I'm not totally surprised by that. Iran is an extremely repressive country. In some ways it can be compared to the USA circa 1987 - the golden era of American thrash metal.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic