Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Compilation Albums

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingcrimsonprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Compilation Albums
    Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 2:51pm
Does anyone here ever actually buy those compilation cds like Kerrang The Album, Dad Rocks, The History Of Thrash Metal, Ultamite Electric Guitar 6, The Defnitive Heavy Metal Collection etc ?

Things that are various artists, sold in shops yet just like what magazines give away free, but aren't like covers/tribute albums or film soundtracks or anything.

?

My Blog: http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 2:54pm
I used to when I was younger. I have a Speed Kills and an At Death�s Door compilation in my collection. Also a couple of compilation CDs that came free with a metal mag. I would never purchase such an album today.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 4:27pm
I used to enjoy grabbing issues of Brave Words & Bloody Knuckles and Terrorizer for their sampler discs.  I still have a handful of them that I spin every once in a while to see if there's a good band I've forgotten about or didn't like at the time.  I also went through them once to find relevant bands that were missing from this site.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 5:35pm
I have that one Christmas album
Bartje1979 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bartje1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 6:01pm
Before the internet-era, I sometimes bought cheap compilations to discover new bands. Today I don't buy compilations anymore.
Nick Dilley View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nick Dilley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 9:32pm
I wouldn't ever buy one of those. I'd love to get one for free, but back in the day I heard many of them and thought most of the groups weren't that good.

When Megadeth released Risk, it came with one for a short period of time. That one was pretty cool. And the only other one I liked was the tribute to Maiden from Kerrang, I listen to that quite often actually--the good tracks are GREAt, but the bad ones are really bad. Of course, you weren't asking about tribute cds, were you...sorry!
Kingcrimsonprog View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingcrimsonprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 6:31am
Its just I was in HMV and saw about 45 Various Artists metal albums, and thought 'I wonder if anyone buys these? Surely someone does or else they wouldn't stock them here.' 

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 6:40am
I get enough VA albums free with Metal Hammer, no need to ever buy any. The free ones are mostly kinda bad though, occasionally you get a good one though. I do find most of them are filled up with too much metalcore for my taste though. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 6:42am
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

I get enough VA albums free with Metal Hammer, no need to ever buy any. The free ones are mostly kinda bad though, occasionally you get a good one though. I do find most of them are filled up with too much metalcore for my taste though. 

Same here.  Unfortunately, its with both parts of the statement.
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 7:03am
Originally posted by Bartje1979 Bartje1979 wrote:

Before the internet-era, I sometimes bought cheap compilations to discover new bands. Today I don't buy compilations anymore.

+1
Kingcrimsonprog View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingcrimsonprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2012 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

When I bought mags, Metalcore wasn't popular yet, and all the comps were filled up with Nu Metal

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic