MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The "core" thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ed_the_dead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The "core" thread
    Posted: 09 Apr 2010 at 6:22am
There seem to be quite a few metalcore enthusiasts around here. Hardcore in general seems to be a genre frequently frowned upon by "true" metalheads. Metalcore/Deathcore/Mathcore get a lot of bad press because of that - people label it an immature, trendy musical mutant.  I love good whatevercore. If well executed, it's much more powerful and energetic than typical metal, some bands like to play it the catchier and epic way (Killswitch Engage, All That Remains), some keep it br00tal (Despised Icon, All Shall Perish). There are also quite a few experimental bands, who started off as whatevercore and wandered off into experimental territory (The Dillinger Escape Plan, Converge). Core comes in many shapes and sizes. Feel free to share your favourite bands/albums.

My top 5 (in no particular order) at the moment would be:

Killswitch Engage - The End of Heartache
All Shall Perish - Awaken the Dreamers
The Dillinger Escape Plan - Ire Works
Parkway Drive - Horizons
Despised Icon - The Healing Process

DeathOfSeasons View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeathOfSeasons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2010 at 7:46am
Before I got into "actual" Metal I used to love -core. Bands like Bullet For My Valentine, Atreyu, Avenged Sevenfold and bands like that. I still like -core now but it's mostly Metalcore and Deathcore, not Melodic Metalcore or Mathcore. Bands like Killswitch Engage and (my previous favourite band) Bullet for My Valentine are now among my least favourite of all time.

Another thing that annoys me about -core is the massive overuse of breakdowns. Nothing annoys me more than bands like Emmure and The Acacia Strain, whose only point is to play breakdown after breakdown.

But yeah, bands like Parkway Drive, Burn in Silence, Burning Skies, Bleeding Through and such are awesome Big smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeathOfSeasons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2010 at 7:46am
Oh and I don't know if you know this but Despised Icon unfortunately broke up Cry
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2010 at 7:51am
I thought I read.... the "Gore thread"LOL
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

ed_the_dead View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ed_the_dead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2010 at 10:14am
Despised Icon are still gonna play shows until 2011, so they're not dead yet. It is a shame, though - They are one of those bands that make really awesome deathcore.  If All Shall Perish decide to disband I'm gonna go and shoot a few people, since those are my fav deathcore bands hands down. Rawks
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2010 at 10:26am
I have no problems with -core bands. I like a bunch of them and there's a bunch of them I don't like. What I've given up on in relation to -core is the genre subclassification. It's like the -core suffix can be attached to anything in order to create new genre terms (wasn't i Jeff Walker who anticipated the rise of mommycore and grandadcore?).
ed_the_dead View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ed_the_dead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2010 at 10:36am
People love subgenres, Time Signature Wink. But I do understand the problem. It's trendy to play whatevercore, the kids love it!  Cool
The T 666 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T 666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2010 at 12:23pm
Moved this to the Appreciation lounge just below... 
Raff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2010 at 2:08pm
You know, in the Roman dialect core means 'heart' (it's cuore in standard Italian), so anything with 'core' in it tends to be the butt of jokes. I do like 'whatevercore' as a word quite a lotWink!
kshskang View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kshskang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2010 at 12:34am
I've never really been into -core metal in general. I just find it difficult to enjoy it. However, Sikth is considered mathcore and I like them.
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2010 at 5:20am
Originally posted by ed_the_dead ed_the_dead wrote:

People love subgenres, Time Signature Wink. But I do understand the problem. It's trendy to play whatevercore, the kids love it!  Cool

Yeah, if they didn't love -core subgenres, I guess there wouldn't be so many of them.
Beekeeper View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beekeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2010 at 6:56am

There seem to be quite a few metalcore enthusiasts around here. Hardcore in general seems to be a genre frequently frowned upon by "true" metalheads. Metalcore/Deathcore/Mathcore get a lot of bad press because of that - people label it an immature, trendy musical mutant. 

...and it isn't? Bands have been mixing hardcore and metal for decades, crust punk bands like amebix moved towards thrash metal territory, bands like S.O.D. incorporated hardcore elements into thrash to make crossover, some black metal bands lately have been moving toward crust punk and then you have grind which is pretty much the logical extension of hardcore incorporating elements of death metal as well. All those changes are pretty natural and logical progressions where elements of metal and hardcore have blended together fairly spontaneously.

Metalcore isn't a very natural hybrid at all, it's not an entity residing along a logical musical progression like crossover thrash or grindcore, It's fairly artificially concocted when you think about it. Seems like metalcore bands just take melodic metal then add in angsty vocals and breakdowns to make it more accesible to young people. I have yet to see much/any evidence to the contrary.

Edited by Beekeeper - 10 Apr 2010 at 7:06am
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeathOfSeasons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2010 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by Beekeeper Beekeeper wrote:

There seem to be quite a few metalcore enthusiasts around here. Hardcore in general seems to be a genre frequently frowned upon by "true" metalheads. Metalcore/Deathcore/Mathcore get a lot of bad press because of that - people label it an immature, trendy musical mutant. 

...and it isn't? Bands have been mixing hardcore and metal for decades, crust punk bands like amebix moved towards thrash metal territory, bands like S.O.D. incorporated hardcore elements into thrash to make crossover, some black metal bands lately have been moving toward crust punk and then you have grind which is pretty much the logical extension of hardcore incorporating elements of death metal as well. All those changes are pretty natural and logical progressions where elements of metal and hardcore have blended together fairly spontaneously.

Metalcore isn't a very natural hybrid at all, it's not an entity residing along a logical musical progression like crossover thrash or grindcore, It's fairly artificially concocted when you think about it. Seems like metalcore bands just take melodic metal then add in angsty vocals and breakdowns to make it more accesible to young people. I have yet to see much/any evidence to the contrary.

I'd hardly say early Metalcore bands such as Merauder and Earth Crisis took melodic metal and added angsty vocals and breakdowns.
Citizen Erased View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Erased Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2010 at 4:35pm
I tend to prefer Hardcore/Post-Hardcore to Metalcore bands, simply because bands like Reuben, Meet Me in St Louis etc are as melodic and catchy as they are heavy.
They aren't remotely metal though.

I only really listen to Killswitch when it comes to metalcore.
topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2010 at 8:00pm
I really don't care for metalcore, which is strange because I absolutely love BTBAM. For the most part I can appreciate post hardcore bands though. Something about them seems more genuine than any -core band IMO.
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
Harry View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2010 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by topofsm topofsm wrote:

I really don't care for metalcore, which is strange because I absolutely love BTBAM. For the most part I can appreciate post hardcore bands though. Something about them seems more genuine than any -core band IMO.

BTBAM isn't really metalcore though.
The last 3 albums are definitely much more in the deathcore vein, which is practically the same as death metal, just more noisy, dissonance and more of a tendency to have breakdowns.
Really the only metalcore moment BTBAM have is that guest vocalist on Prequel to the Sequel doing the screams.
Time signature changes, old school death metal inspired riffs, tech death band inspired riffs, death growls.......definitely technical progressive deathcore, not metalcore
Beekeeper View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Beekeeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 7:16am
Originally posted by Harry Harry wrote:

The last 3 albums are definitely much more in the deathcore vein, which is practically the same as death metal, just more noisy, dissonance and more of a tendency to have breakdowns.

What? With regards to being more noisy and dissonant I don't think that's true at all, have you ever heard Gorguts? Pretty much all death metal has very dissonant riffs in fact it's probably one of the defining characteristics of death metal (note: obviously not melodic death metal). And more noisy? really? I wouldn't have thought so especially when you take into consideration that 'noise' is primarily a result of production. Considering deathcore is a very modern genre the majority of deathcore releases are highly compressed and well producued and in general pretty clean.

To illustrate:

Deathcore: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEM9W14TsWQ

Death Metal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkwsC1zsqEU

From what I've seen the main differences are that deathcore has breakdowns and favours angsty shouts over lower register guttural and growling vocal styles.

Edited by Beekeeper - 11 Apr 2010 at 7:17am
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeathOfSeasons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 10:48am
Originally posted by Harry Harry wrote:

Really the only metalcore moment BTBAM have is that guest vocalist on Prequel to the Sequel doing the screams.
Time signature changes, old school death metal inspired riffs, tech death band inspired riffs, death growls.......definitely technical progressive deathcore, not metalcore

I wouldn't call it Deathcore, to me it just sounds like Progressive Metal with some breakdowns.
topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 3:32pm
^That's what I think of with TGM, not necessarily any other album. While the compositional techniques BTBAM uses aren't really metalcore, their riffs seem firmly rooted in it, especially when you mix in the breakdowns.

Anyways, the difference between Death metal and deathcore seems pretty obvous to me. Death metal is far heavier and brutal with more agressive riffs, faster blastbeats and riffs, lower growls and bass/guitar, and an emphasis on technicality. Deathcore is mainly more hardcore based shouts and a huge emphasis on breakdowns, and really I don't see a lot of similarity between the two genres, besides the superficial elements like the amount of double bass and the distortion level of the guitars.
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeathOfSeasons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 5:28am

^That's what I think of with TGM, not necessarily any other album. While the compositional techniques BTBAM uses aren't really metalcore, their riffs seem firmly rooted in it, especially when you mix in the breakdowns.

Anyways, the difference between Death metal and deathcore seems pretty obvous to me. Death metal is far heavier and brutal with more agressive riffs, faster blastbeats and riffs, lower growls and bass/guitar, and an emphasis on technicality. Deathcore is mainly more hardcore based shouts and a huge emphasis on breakdowns, and really I don't see a lot of similarity between the two genres, besides the superficial elements like the amount of double bass and the distortion level of the guitars.

True, but you do get some Deathcore bands that focus more on technicality than breakdowns such as The Red Shore for example (though you could argue they're just Technical Death Metal)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic