MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Internal news
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Reviewing non-metal releases is not allowed !

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thellama73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2010 at 1:24pm
In general, I approve of this system, but the collabs will have to be careful and there are bound to be disagreements.  The example that pops into my mind is Burzum's album "Hli�skj�lf," written in prison without the use of guitars or vocals (see my excellently written review.)To anyone just listening to it, it does not sound metal in the least, but if you know its history and concept, it does seem to very much ft in with the spirit of black metal, if not the sound.
Those who know what's best for us must rise and save us from ourselves.
The T 666 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T 666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2010 at 2:30pm
That case is interesting. That's the kind of situation where I would use a rather unscientific approach like "this band X is a known 100% metal band... They released this non-metal album... It still should be open for review as people will want to know about the ENTIRE discography of the artist". It's different in cases that are already borderline even at their most metal (Bon Jovi)
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2010 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by The T 666 The T 666 wrote:

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

2- very few metal bands changed sound or style(unlike prog bandsCry)..... they pretty well stayed metal bands, even if they changed metal style, False. Many metal bands changed their style. But most of the times their core sound remained metal  >> that's what I meantWink
4- if what I assume in 3- is correct, how do we (and who) discern which albums are metal enough to be reviewed? That's what the teams are for. That's why, and I can't stress this enough, we have to know who people are before we give them this faculty... Reviews and work will let us know who is ready for deciding what is metal and what is not and who isn't >>>> that's a bit what I wanted to know
5- in other wordsif we don't agree about the album tagging and consider an album metallic enough despite the tag, we can't write a review to explain why we think otherwise?In principle, I would agree with that... But if the album's tagged as "nonmetal" then it will be impossible >>> which may lead to misinformation to the newbie, unless goi,g to aoppeal on the collab's unilateral decisionsWink
6- This new rule seems aimed at the proto-metal genre mainly, right???No. It's aimed at bands like Bon Jovi whose last albums are not metal at all, the same as Rush, and many more. It's really aimed at pleasing the fans who come to a metal site expecting to find METAL. Right I forgot about Rush and Bon Anchiove....
7- If what I assume in 6- is correct, is it to avoid their presence from spoiling the metal contents in the top list ???I'm not sure that's the objective but it certainly is a much welcomed consequence  >>> I'm totally neutral on this, since I don't care about these lists
8- If so, why not just letting this proto-metal genre out of the top list algorythms???Is not only proto-metal that falls under this rule... (in fact, LZ reviews are in the front page). >>> OK, I got it, albums will be prohibited from appearing in top lists, not the group itself...Wink

Remember people this site is not PA. Is MMA. Right now most of our members are PA'ers and if we allow it albums that are not strictly metal will end up on the first places of the lists... We have to attract METAL fans... Who can be very specific about their music and who would probably run to metal-archives if they see a review of Bon Jovi's latest release on the front page. 

Thanks for the clear answers
Thanks for the clear answers
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

Henry Plainview View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Henry Plainview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 12:38am
Originally posted by Pekka Pekka wrote:

Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

6- This new rule seems aimed at the proto-metal genre mainly, right???

I was coming to ask this as well. Because if not, then albums like Opeth's Damnation should be moved to non-reviewable-non-metal as well (like all unplugged stuff) and I would not like to see that happening.
I'm not a metal expert by any means, but I thought it was well accepted that an acoustic album could still be metal. Metal is the chords you play as much as the level of distortion on your guitar.

Sean Trane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 6:36am
Originally posted by Henry Plainview Henry Plainview wrote:

Originally posted by Pekka Pekka wrote:

[QUOTE=Sean Trane]
6- This new rule seems aimed at the proto-metal genre mainly, right??? [/QUOTE]

I was coming to ask this as well. Because if not, then albums like Opeth's Damnation should be moved to non-reviewable-non-metal as well (like all unplugged stuff) and I would not like to see that happening.
I'm not a metal expert by any means, but I thought it was well accepted that an acoustic album could still be metal. Metal is the chords you play as much as the level of distortion on your guitar.
Yup, I agree with this also...

In other words we could not rate G'nR's only excellent album, Lies, which has one full face of acoustic songs....
my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicted musicians to crazy ones....

topofsm View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topofsm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 3:49pm
Except Damnation is not a metal album even ignoring the fact that acoustic albums can be metal compositionally. It is a progressive rock album.

That being said for Opeth it's an important album for their discography and should be allowed to reviewed anyways.
Lost respect for these archives when I saw Creed added, among other bands. Not going to be foruming here anymore. You can keep my reviews if you want.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 6:31pm
Let's get this post on the new page in hope of a response LOL...

Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

Nice addition Max! Clap I do enjoy bashing pop albums at PA, but it is for the benefit of the site after all! LOL

Just one question - what if there is already a review present for an album that we want to move to "non-metal"? Would the review go away, or would we not be allowed to move the album's subgenre???

Thanks,
Jeff

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Raff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 6:37pm
Jeff, having moved quite a few albums to NM, I can tell you that I suspect the review would get deleted, unless the person in charge of the operation decided to save it for future use. Unfortunately, only M@x will be able to answer your question with a high degree of accuracy, since none of the albums I moved had any ratings or reviews. 
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Jeff, having moved quite a few albums to NM, I can tell you that I suspect the review would get deleted, unless the person in charge of the operation decided to save it for future use. Unfortunately, only M@x will be able to answer your question with a high degree of accuracy, since none of the albums I moved had any ratings or reviews. 

Thanks Raff Thumbs Up
Raff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2010 at 7:02pm
I have just posted a review of Rush's Moving Pictures, which makes it quite clear that the album is not metal...Luckily I will take care of its removal myself, if it is so decided, so that I will be able to save it.
m@x View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Co-founder, Admin & Webmaster

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote m@x Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2010 at 6:15am
Raff is right, when an album will be re-classify to non-metal , we will delete (or hide from the site) and may list it only in the reviewer page (for information only).

So, be careful with borderline releases , in the mean time the admins do their best to tag the non-metal correctly.
thellama73 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thellama73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 10:44am
I wrote a review for Rush's Grace Under Pressure before the policy came into an effect. The review was not deleted and still appears in my reviewer profile, but it is hidden from the album page and does not count towards its rating.  So that's what happens, or at least it did in my case.
Raff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 11:01am
Apologies for overlooking your review, since I was the one to move the albumEmbarrassed. I often have problems loading MMA pages, and was so taken by the task at hand that didn't think of checking if there were any reviews. I'll be more careful in the future, I promise.
thellama73 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thellama73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 12:55pm
Oh I wasn't complaining. I actually think that what happened is the best policy. That way I get the satisfaction of seeing my review, but it doesn't clutter up the album page, front page or top ranked lists. I'm very pleased it wasn't deleted.
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2010 at 2:47pm
I must admit that I hope the non-metal review feature will be opened up again once the MMA have been more firmly established.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2010 at 2:53pm
Yeah maybe it would be healthy to take a discussion about this again in a couple of years.
Raff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2010 at 2:58pm
I'm sorry to sound pessimistic, but I don't believe that even waiting for two years (or possibly more) will make some people act like mature beings, instead of spoiled brats. On PA it seemed as if seeing a review for an Iron Maiden or Led Zeppelin album on the front page was some sort of sacrilege, and, when one had to read such rants over and over, it got old very quickly - especially when some people questioned the integrity of the whole Collab contingent. It seems that for some people it is impossible just to ignore what they don't like, and enjoy what they like.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2010 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

I'm sorry to sound pessimistic, but I don't believe that even waiting for two years (or possibly more) will make some people act like mature beings, instead of spoiled brats. On PA it seemed as if seeing a review for an Iron Maiden or Led Zeppelin album on the front page was some sort of sacrilege, and, when one had to read such rants over and over, it got old very quickly - especially when some people questioned the integrity of the whole Collab contingent. It seems that for some people it is impossible just to ignore what they don't like, and enjoy what they like.

Raff, that wasn't the point of either of the two above posts. I agree with you - I hate hearing people bitch and moan all day about an Iron Maiden review, but you're forgetting that most people don't act like that. It's a few people that populate the forum that ruin it for everyone else. All Jonas and Time Signature were trying to say is that this topic may be more appropriate once the site is more developed.
The T 666 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T 666 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2010 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by Time Signature Time Signature wrote:

I must admit that I hope the non-metal review feature will be opened up again once the MMA have been more firmly established.

That last sentence is the key. ONCE we have been established, ergo, ONCE we can afford to sustain and withstand blows by people who will question our credibility. PA was already a made site when the controversial additions and reviews started. MMA is still a child that will not survive a ton of non-metal reviews in the front page. 

In a while, when we feel like we've accomplished our first goal, when we have a lot of members and visitors, when people think of our site as a great metal resource, then I think we can open the gates and let the tsunami in... 
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2010 at 3:20am
Originally posted by The T 666 The T 666 wrote:

Originally posted by Time Signature Time Signature wrote:

That last sentence is the key. ONCE we have been established, ergo, ONCE we can afford to sustain and withstand blows by people who will question our credibility.

I know that. That's why I included that last sentence.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic