MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I am the new guy

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I am the new guy
    Posted: 05 Jun 2012 at 10:43am
Hi. Some of you guys probably know me from PA or JMA, well Ive finally given in and joined MMA.
I used to be a metalhead in high school and I used to listen thrash metal, death metal, black metal, classic heavy metal, speed metal, prog-metal, melodic death metal, etc. I was into a lot of that stuff.

I don't listen to most of that anymore, but here's a list of bands I still enjoy: Recommendations are welcome. Not interested in death metal, power metal, black metal, hardcore, or bands with bad production values.

Iron Maiden
Megadeth
Metallica
Dream Theater
Symphony X
INDUKTI
Opeth
Black Sabbath
Judas Priest
Testament
Death
Iced Earth
Avenged Sevenfold
Devin Townsend

Edited by darkshade - 05 Jun 2012 at 10:51am
dtguitarfan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dtguitarfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2012 at 10:50am
We've had a few interactions over on PA - WELCOME!  I think you'll find that people over here are hella cool, and very low key.

So, Symphony X is the one from the banner you like, huh?  Well, I'm imagining you've probably tried Redemption and weren't into them, but I'll tell you my story about them.  I wasn't crazy about them first either, but had a friend who was absolutely in love with them.  I used to tell him that they sounded to me like 5 instrumentalists soloing at the same time and had no coherency, and no dynamics (always loud and heavy all the time).  But then Snowfall on Judgement Day came out, and something clicked with me.  I "got" them, and when I went back to the older albums after that I found I could actually appreciate, even love them after that one.  So that's my recommendation, do with it what you will.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2012 at 10:54am
I remember trying Redemption out because it consisted of members of Fates Warning and Symphony X, but maybe I wasn't feeling it at that time. I'm also not the biggest FW fan, and only like certain albums by Symphony X, so maybe that's why too. I'll give 'em another try one of these days.
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2012 at 11:11am
hie and welcome to the club mate
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2012 at 12:31pm
Welcome to MMA. Too bad you�re not into death metal anymoreSmile, but I like most of the bands you mention you like too.
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2012 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Welcome to MMA. Too bad you�re not into death metal anymoreSmile, but I like most of the bands you mention you like too.

I'm actually listening to Death right now, but they kind of don't count. Yea, I used to be really into Decapitated. I don't know, my tolerance for that kind of music is quite low.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2012 at 12:56pm
Welcome to MMA!
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2012 at 1:39pm
Originally posted by darkshade darkshade wrote:

I'm actually listening to Death right now, but they kind of don't count. Yea, I used to be really into Decapitated. I don't know, my tolerance for that kind of music is quite low.

I had a long period of not listening to extreme metal, but it�s like the older I get the more I return to my death and thrash metal roots. Just purchased tickets for the Copenhagen date on this tour:

...do you write reviews?
Tupan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2012 at 2:10pm
Welcome, Darkshade!
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2012 at 3:18pm
welcome

I love your avatar LOL
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2012 at 6:39pm
Welcome

A question:

I'm actually listening to Death right now, but they kind of don't count.

How so?
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2012 at 7:55pm
Welcome!  I definitely remember you from JMA and PA to a lesser extent, but I tend to spend significantly more of my time here. Smile
Diogenes View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diogenes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2012 at 8:26pm
Hello, new guy! Handshake
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2012 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by Wilytank Wilytank wrote:

Welcome

A question:

I'm actually listening to Death right now, but they kind of don't count.

How so?

Well, I only like the post-Human stuff, which is more prog metal with growl/shrieks. I barely consider Opeth post-Mr Arms, Your Hearse death metal too. But I said "kind of".
darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2012 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by Stooge Stooge wrote:

Welcome!  I definitely remember you from JMA and PA to a lesser extent, but I tend to spend significantly more of my time here. Smile

I remember you too. Cool
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 3:58am
Hey and welcome to the site.

SKwid View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKwid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2012 at 12:30pm
i have not said hello yet

now i have.

darkshade View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darkshade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2012 at 12:35pm
hello

and hello
rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors and Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2012 at 2:37pm
Hey new guy!  Nice to meet you.
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2012 at 2:43pm
kick me hard

Lars Ulrick looks like Jack Nickolsen in that picture
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic