MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help me decide what to listen to next!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer
Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help me decide what to listen to next!
    Posted: 27 Apr 2012 at 8:08pm
Hey folks,

As some of you know over the last year or so I've been working on listening to my complete music collection in as close to chronological order as I can get it, reviewing stuff along the way and generally refreshing myself when it comes to what I've got, what's hot, and what I can safely get rid of. Well, I've completed that project so now I'm ready to once again go forth and acquire new stuff. (Yes, this does mean the pace at which I do new reviews here will slow down a bit - sorry guys.)

I've already got some ideas about things I want to track down, but any suggestions of cool metal stuff to listen to would be appreciated. If you haven't read my reviews you can get a quick snapshot of what I do and don't like by just glancing at the five-star albums listed on my reviewer profile here:

Recommendations from all genres are appreciated but it'd be great to be able to explore some of the genres where I've not listened to much stuff - particularly folk metal, sludge metal, gothic and industrial metal (and grindcore, since I don't think I've ever listened to any) - since when it comes to genres where I've listened to a lot of things I tend to have a better handle on what I want to explore next.

Edited by Warthur - 27 Apr 2012 at 8:12pm
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 1:59am
I'll recommend the entire Carcass discography, which will give you both grindcore, prog death, melodeath and traditional metal.

Edited by Time Signature - 28 Apr 2012 at 1:59am
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 2:05am
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 2:10am
You mention Goth and I see you haven�t reviewed Type O Negative yet, so of course you need to listen to at least the first three Type O Negative albums (maybe the first four). They are all very different sounding albums.

I always found that they were more doom than goth, but goth is definitely one of the most prominent stylistic elements in their music.

Edited by UMUR - 28 Apr 2012 at 2:14am
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 2:13am
Originally posted by Time Signature Time Signature wrote:

I'll recommend the entire Carcass discography, which will give you both grindcore, prog death, melodeath and traditional metal.

I second that. One of the most important extreme metal acts. Personally I�m not too fond of the first two albums, but it�s probably an aquired taste. They are definitely what you�d call authentic though.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 2:19am
I don�t think I see any D�dheimsgaard on your list either. I�d recommend taking a listen to:
.. Album Cover
and this one too:
.. Album Cover
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 2:21am
If you feel in a particularly dark mood I�d recommend a listen to: http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/gnaw-their-tongues.aspx
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 2:23am
Oh and when talking of Goth how could I forget Saviour Machine: http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/saviour-machine.aspx
I don�t know if the Christian themed lyrics will bother you, but if you are interested I�d listen to:
.. Album Cover
.. Album Cover

Edited by UMUR - 28 Apr 2012 at 3:13am
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 2:24am
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 2:25am
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 2:36am
I see your only encounter with Neurosis is http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/neurosis--through-silver-in-blood.aspx. I�d recommend trying to listen to one of their later albums too, to get an idea of how they�ve evolved.

...in the same sentence this one might be interesting to you: http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/shrinebuilder.aspx?ac=shrinebu
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 2:40am
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 4:03am
You want folk eh? I recommend the following artists:

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/cruachan.aspx - The first and most recent album are folk/black metal. The rest are just folk metal of the celtic type. If you prefer folk/raw black metal, start with Tuatha Na Gael. If you rather more polished folk/black metal, start with Blood on the Black Robe. If you rather no or minimal black metal, start with Folk-Lore.

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/arkona(russia).aspx - So called 'Pagan' folk metal. Start with anything from the third album onwards, they're all top notch. Just make sure you're okay with non-English lyrics, it's all in Russian.

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/wolfchant.aspx - more guitar driven folk melodies than actual folk instrumentation here. A Pagan Storm is the best pure folk metal album but I slightly prefer Call of the Black Winds, which covers a range of styles.

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/elvenking.aspx - power folk metal. Start with the first two albums or if you want something not really metal, try Two Tragedy Poets, their semi-acoustic album, it's actually one of their best.

http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/sig-ar-tyr.aspx - more of a unique sound here, sort of acoustic driven atmospheric folk metal which draws on ambient music and black metal. Beyond the North Winds is the best album IMO.
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 6:40am
Here's some black metal you missed:

Abigor-http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/abigor.aspx?ac=abigor-the fascinating thing about these guys is how much writing they put into the music.  Listen to any song by them and count how many individual non repeated riffs there are.

Lunar Aurora-http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/lunar-aurora.aspx?ac=lunar%20aurora-they've got three eras to their music, the first is awesome symphonic black metal with their best album IMO being the amazing Weltenganger.  Eventually, they change it up to a more atmospheric depressive black metal tone.  Still great.

Blut aus Nord-http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/blut-aus-nord.aspx-one of the best atmospheric black metal bands ever.  They go from a pagan, wintery atmosphere in their first two albums to a more nightmarish sound later on.

Nokturnal Mortum-http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/nokturnal-mortum.aspx?ac=nokturnal-pagan black metal at its finest.  Very epic sounding.  Their early stuff is more symphonic black metal influenced, but they started to use folk instruments in NeChrist along with the keys.  The two albums that came after that one are even better.

Borknagar-http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/borknagar.aspx?ac=borknagar-first three are black metal.  The Olden Domain is one of the best albums of the genre.  Later they switched to a more progressive metal sound.

Leviathan-http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/leviathan.aspx-awesome US based black metal.  One of the most well presented cases of a hateful atmosphere.  He's released five albums (one of them non-metal), but check out his splits and compilations too.  They've got some awesome tracks that don't appear on his full-lengths.

Paysage d'Hiver-http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/paysage-dhiver.aspx?ac=paysage-a little out of season, but this is awesome winter themed black metal.  Steineiche and Schattengang are my favorite albums, but you should also check out the self titled and Winterkalte as well as the two ambient albums.

Darkspace-http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/darkspace.aspx?ac=darkspace-the man behind Paysage d'Hiver plays in this band.  They're a very awesome space themed atmospheric black metal band.  They sound a good bit like Paysage d'Hiver except for the better production and even more extreme sounding drum programming.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 7:28am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

I second that. One of the most important extreme metal acts. Personally I�m not too fond of the first two albums, but it�s probably an aquired taste. They are definitely what you�d call authentic though.

I think the second one is okay, but listening to the entire discography is somewhat of an experience because each album has a different and unique sound.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 8:21am

Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

I think the second one is okay, but listening to the entire discography is somewhat of an experience because each album has a different and unique sound.

Yeah precisely. It�s an important journey.
Warthur View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer
Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 9:00am
Wow, a great response, thanks guys!Smile

That sounds like an awesome mix of sounds, and with you and UMUR both recommending them I'll definitely make them a priority.

UMUR - Wow, a pile of recommendations! Thanks. I'd already put Type O Negative on my "really ought to check these guys out" list but you've inspired me to move them up. (For what it's worth: Christian lyrics don't necessarily bother me - I mean, sometimes they can, but sometimes any lyrical subject matter can. On the other hand, I'm really not cool with NSBM.)

Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

You want folk eh?
And you've given me a ton, thanks. :)

Originally posted by Wilytank Wilytank wrote:

Here's some black metal you missed
I knew I could count on you to deliver! I'll have to ponder Nokturnal Mortum because I know that on NeChrist and elsewhere they veered into NSBM turf, but I'll definitely give all your recommendations consideration.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 9:35am
Did you hear Falconer's "Armod"? For my money, that's a really unique album that blends dark power metal with folk metal.

I noted that you like some of Fates Warning's albums and some of Queensr�che's albums. You might also like Winter Crescent's "Battle of Egos"-EP-
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 9:59am

Did you hear Falconer's "Armod"? For my money, that's a really unique album that blends dark power metal with folk metal.

Great album. This is the most folk of the ones I've heard, but you'll find folk in moderation in most of their albums so definitely worth checking out on the folk metal front. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2012 at 6:30pm
Originally posted by Warthur Warthur wrote:

I knew I could count on you to deliver! I'll have to ponder Nokturnal Mortum because I know that on NeChrist and elsewhere they veered into NSBM turf, but I'll definitely give all your recommendations consideration.

I've never let NSBM lyrics bother me.  I just pay attention to the music because that's what I think actually matters.  I just hope you don't do any reviews saying "The music is all good and awesome, but I don't like NSBM themes so I'm giving this a zero."  I've seen people do that before, and it's very lame.

Other than that, have at the black metal.  I'm getting bored of the top 12 BM albums being virtually controlled by me. Approve

On a side note, since when was Carcass prog death?

Edited by Wilytank - 28 Apr 2012 at 6:31pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic