MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Any fans of CONFESSOR?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pelata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Any fans of CONFESSOR?
    Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 1:49pm
Confessor was a band that was all the buzz when I first moved to NC in 1989. They signed to Earache records and released 'Condemned'. I knew guys who knew the Confessor guys, but never knew them myself. I really liked the Doomy Prog Metal on 'Condemned' though...

Divebomb is releasng all three of their demo tapes (pre-'Condemned') rematered and released officially on CD for the first time (before you ask, Earache won't let go of 'Condemned'). An enhanced portion of the CD as well as a bonus DVD features archival live footage of Confessor in their prime.

http://www.bravewords.com/news/179770

Quote With the release of their debut album, Condemned, the band felt as though their chance was at hand to show the world what they knew, that Confessor was unlike anything else out at the time. Unfortunately, label merging and politics forced Confessor off of the US leg of that famous tour in favor of the latest "new band". Confessor's ongoing struggles with their label led to line up changes that seriously altered the band's trajectory and eventually they disbanded after only a single album was released.

Luckily, over the years Confessor's controversial, yet pioneering sound became accepted and adored by many in the metal community and in 2004 the band reunited for some festival appearances. They have reunited once again for a special appearance at the Maryland Deathfest in 2012.

Says Divebomb Records: "Uncontrolled is the first time all three Confessor demo tapes have been released officially. These are the demos that helped the band get signed to Earache Records back in 1990 and led to the eventual release of their now ground-breaking, Condemned, debut album. This collection is long overdue and fans have been demanding it for years so we, at Divebomb Records, are happy to oblige them. For the diehards we have unearthed raw archival live footage as part of both an enhanced CD and bonus DVD."

Jeff Wagner (author of Mean Deviation: Four Decades Of Progressive Metal) has also contributed a brand new essay to the liners. The demos themselves were converted from original reels and/or DAT by The Kitchen Mastering in 2004. Jamie King remastered the entire set in 2012 at his Basement Studios. For the fans, by the fans.

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 2:09pm
I guess my review of "Condemned" speaks of how much I adore that albumBig smile: http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/condemned--review.aspx?id=218997

I really like Confessor!!!Bowdown
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 2:10pm
Heard of this one?
.. Album Cover

Pretty new release by former members of Confessor.
Pelata View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pelata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 2:15pm
I heard the rough mixes of the Loincloth stuff at the Divebomb offices...we actually pitched the idea of me joining as vocalist but they opted to remain instrumental.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 2:17pm
Too bad. I�m not too impressed by the album (technically it�s of course brilliant though). I�m pretty sure a vocalist would have done the trick for me, but then again I�m usually not that fond of instrumental metal albums.Smile. I�ve actually written a review of the album. Just haven�t posted it yet.

...as you can see from my RYM profile I still have it on rotation though, so I might still change my opinion: http://rateyourmusic.com/~UMUR

Edited by UMUR - 13 Mar 2012 at 2:20pm
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 2:29pm
The Confessor demos are said to be awesome, so if you know anybody in charge they are welcome to send a promo my wayBig smile.
Pelata View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pelata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

The Confessor demos are said to be awesome, so if you know anybody in charge they are welcome to send a promo my wayBig smile.

Wink
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2012 at 3:10pm
Big smile
Tupan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2012 at 10:01am
Guys, could you add some mp3 from this band? Technichal doom metal? This seems very interesting!
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2012 at 3:52am
Wow . . .
"3" fans Tongue.

I LOVE confessor, how the Drummer Steve Shelton plays soo technical on slow paced Metal is amazing.
Its funny how we can easily call them Technical Doom or Progressive Doom Metal.

Has anyone heard "While Heaven Wept"? Has to be my fave release of 2009, Progressive Doom Metal
at its Epic finest Big smile.  A bit of an early Fates Warning sound, just a touch.

Their newest one sounds more straight ahead Doom, but not your typical Doom ("Fear of Infinity").

Clap

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 09 Jun 2012 at 4:02am
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2013 at 3:17am
I need to revive this thread, because Confessor is such a great act deserving some attention...any new forum members who are fans of these guys?
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 8:43am
From their latest album (May make my Top 30 of 2012) . . .

Loincloth featuring Steve Shelton of Confessor. All Instrumental, Tech-Sludge/Doom

Big smile
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 9:18am
I can�t say Loincloth turned out to be my poison. A bit too cold and focused on technical playing for my tastes: http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/iron-balls-of-steel--review.aspx?id=270188
Vic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2013 at 6:50am
Hey, just saw this. Of course I am a Confessor fan! Only have Condemned though. I wouldn't mind getting my hands on their demos as well!
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2013 at 8:25am
Yeah that demo compilation is on my wishlist too...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic