MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Traditional Role Playing Games (NOT cRPG!)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: Have you ever participated in a role playing game session?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [22.22%]
5 [55.56%]
2 [22.22%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2012 at 11:22am
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

I play the forum game Mafia, too, does that count?

And the equivalent card game, sometimes

yes, I think it does. Is it about a city where every player impersonates different archetypes like policeman, detective, gangster, civilian and they keep it secret so that only the game master knows it and the whole game is turn-based?

I haven't heard about the card game though.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2012 at 3:14pm
Not exactly, but basically.  The games I play usually have themes, and the roles will vary depending on that.  The premise is that the mafia members kill in secret at night, and during the day the civilians try and figure out who did it, and lynch them.  Usually most players have other powers, too.  You'll have role-checks (detective), kill protects, etc.

The card game is just a simplified version, where you pass out cards and your role depends on what card it is.  Fewer powers.  Being real time and face-to-face makes it a lot different.
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2012 at 6:33pm
Ahh yes, now I remember, I played it a few times with my friends, looong time ago! But we actually played together, I mean in the same room, at a party I guess. So a bit like with the card game you've mentioned, with the rules more similar to the forum version though. When the night came we were simply turning off the lights and the mafia members were doing their job. That was fun!

Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2012 at 1:12pm
I've been told of a game store that can tell me what Warhammer 40k faction is right for me hook me up with a starter set.  By biggest concern is finding people to play with around here.  I don't want to spend money on these figures only to have them collecting dust.
Exequiae View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exequiae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2012 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

I played Warhammer for a while when I was around 13 - 14 years old. We had a pretty brilliant game master, who was able to make the stories really cool. We were 5 - 6 guys who played and it was a really nice relaxing experience. I think we played for about a year and then it faded out.

Isn't Warhammer a table-top wargame?
Exequiae View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Exequiae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2012 at 1:24pm
Originally posted by Wilytank Wilytank wrote:

I've been told of a game store that can tell me what Warhammer 40k faction is right for me hook me up with a starter set.  By biggest concern is finding people to play with around here.  I don't want to spend money on these figures only to have them collecting dust.

The starter set only gives you two armies: The Space Marines and the Orks.  The Orks are probably one of the worse armies in the game, whilst the Space Marines are the most boring.

If there is a game store, then there must be a demand for the product.  Some game stores host introduction games and tournaments, so you are likely to find people around that will play.

However, Warhamemr is not all about the games.  Sure, that's the main part of it, but sometimes it is fun to spend a few months assembling and painting warriors only to display them proudly on your bass booster.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2012 at 1:27pm
I thought Dark Eldar were the worst and the most boring
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2012 at 9:47am
Originally posted by Exequiae Exequiae wrote:

Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

I played Warhammer for a while when I was around 13 - 14 years old. We had a pretty brilliant game master, who was able to make the stories really cool. We were 5 - 6 guys who played and it was a really nice relaxing experience. I think we played for about a year and then it faded out.

Isn't Warhammer a table-top wargame?
There is a wargame called Warhammer Fantasy Battle and a role playing game called Warhammer Fantasy Role Play. We talked about the latter in this topic. 
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2012 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by Exequiae Exequiae wrote:

The starter set only gives you two armies: The Space Marines and the Orks.  The Orks are probably one of the worse armies in the game, whilst the Space Marines are the most boring.

Aren't there like a million different Space Marine chapters though?

I mean look at the Space Wolves.  They seem pretty badass.

Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2012 at 7:30am

And here I thought it was the Tau.
SKwid View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKwid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2012 at 11:45am

And here I thought it was the Tau.
Tyranids look pretty sweet

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2012 at 9:41pm
I have tyranids

It's been a long time since I've actually played 40K though
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2012 at 10:06pm
I've watched a Tyranid vs. Tau fights.  They're fucking scary.  Once the Nids swarmed the Tau, the Tau were fucked and done.  

I saw them lose to the Orks though, so the Orks must not be the worst army.

Edited by Wilytank - 29 May 2012 at 11:14am
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2012 at 7:05pm
I hear that they're releasing a new rule book in a couple of weeks.  Which is fine because I still don't have an army.

I think I will pick up a Space Wolf battleforce this Friday though.  I got to New Jersey the following week, and I could glue them together when I'm there.
Doomster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doomster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2012 at 7:27pm
...wat
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2012 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by Doomster Doomster wrote:

...wat

What's the matter?  Are you a Tau player? Tongue
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2012 at 7:26am
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jul 2012 at 9:42pm
Actually, by now I can safely say that I am swept up by Space Wolves and 40k lore.  I've got most of my basic paint (blue-grey, red, yellow, black, gun metal, and flesh paint) on five Grey Hunters and five Blood Claws.  I haven't put an excessive amount of time into detail and I don't know if the local game shop guy will let me play (at least team up with another guy's larger army) without flocking them, but I am really eager to start playing.

There are so many other things I want to do already, but I need to have restraint.  I have three Wolf Guard and some Wolf Scouts that I haven't painted yet and plenty of parts I haven't assembled yet.  But, I've already have my sights set on Lukas the Trickster, Wolf Guard Terminators, Space Marine Bikers to convert into Swift Claws, Space Marine Devastators to convert into Long Fangs, and this badass:

Rune Priest in Terminator armor.

You may have also noticed my avatar is now Ragnar Blackmane's company marking.
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2012 at 10:45pm
Played my first ever 40k game tonight with the 6th edition rules.  My Wolves were outnumbered (teammate had an armored Imperial Guard team taking up the majority of the points), but we managed to kill things quicker than him (2 Chaos Marines dead from Bolter fire before he killed anything with his tanks' guns) and my Blood Claws wiped out an entire squad in close combat and sweeping advance earning my team the First Blood victory point.  Store closed before the game officially ended since the Imp. Guard guy took so damn long shooting things with his tanks, but it was close.

I picked up that Rune Priest Terminator that you see in the above post and have already assembled it.  Next time the Wolves fight, that thing is going to kick ass.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2012 at 1:42am
I love playing against Imperial Guard with my nids.  Just outflank with my genestealers and deepstrike all my monstrous creatures right on the opponents tanks, and he can't do a damn thing.

The above applies double so to Tau, which is my brother's army
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic