Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [37.50%]
5 [62.50%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Shining vs. A Clockwork Orange
    Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 3:14pm
Which of these two Kubrick classics is your favorite?

Both are among my all-time favorite movies, as well as huge milestones in the history of film. I slightly prefer A Clockwork Orange (this film has an oddly beautiful side that's seldom seen in The Shining), but it ultimately depends on what kind of mood I'm in. Both are fantastic.
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 3:25pm
Very different movies indeed. "A Clockwork Orange" is quite the sick bastard of a movie though and it greatly appeals to me. I�ve read the book too, but it was a very difficult read for second language English reader.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 3:27pm
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Very different movies indeed. "A Clockwork Orange" is quite the sick bastard of a movie though and it greatly appeals to me. I�ve read the book too, but it was a very difficult read for second language English reader.

It is indeed a sick, twisted, and disturbing movie - I absolutely love it too. I intend on reading that book over summer vacation when I finally have some free time. LOL The book is also supposedly excellent.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 3:58pm
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Hell, it was a hard read for a native English reader LOL
Sheavy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheavy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2012 at 9:45pm
It's literally impossible for me to choose between the two.
Dominator View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dominator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 2:31pm
A Clockwork Orange is phenomenal. It raises ethical questions I still can't answer, and it's pure poetry.
Parsifal View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Parsifal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 2:32pm
I liked both of the books more than the movies, but I have to give it up for the Shining. Kubrick's intentionally clasutrophobic production was brilliant in conveying cabin fever, and Nicholson going over the top is always a joy for me.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by Dominator Dominator wrote:

A Clockwork Orange is phenomenal. It raises ethical questions I still can't answer, and it's pure poetry.

I completely agree - I especially love how the film portrays Alex's character. Although his actions are unquestionably deplorable, Kubrick paints a picture where it seems like Alex wholeheartedly believes his atrocities are "normal". It really gets you thinking about what any of us perceive as "normal". Wacko
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2012 at 7:25am
A Clockwork Orange, great movie. I didn't really like The Shining.
dreadpirateroberts View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dreadpirateroberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2012 at 7:31am
The Shining for me, the build of tension is wonderful and the setting is perfect for the subject. Throwing in the little time-loop thingy was nice too.
We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
Lynx33 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lynx33 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2012 at 8:45am
Both films are great, but I have always preferred The Shining, both musically and as film. The music in The Shining has always been very-very special to me, with both the original music by Wendy Carlos and Rachel Elkind and the non-original pieces by Ligeti, Penderecki and Bart�k, similarly to the music that you find in the film The Exorcist (first part) or Eyes Wide Shut also directed by Stanley Kubrick.
Dominator View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dominator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2012 at 9:35am
Interesting, I don't remember the soundtrack to The Shining at all. I'll have to check it out!
Conor Fynes View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conor Fynes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2012 at 3:44am
Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

Both are among my all-time favorite movies, as well as huge milestones in the history of film. I slightly prefer A Clockwork Orange (this film has an oddly beautiful side that's seldom seen in The Shining), but it ultimately depends on what kind of mood I'm in. Both are fantastic.

Everyone knows 2001: A Space Odyssey is not only his greatest film, but the greatest film ever made.
Conor Fynes View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conor Fynes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2012 at 3:47am
To answer the question, both of these films are in my top 25 films ever (four of Kubrick's- 2001, strangelove, shining, clockwork are in the top 25) but the Shining wins out of these two, i think. although The Shining is probably less memorable and a clockwork orange has some of the greatest scenes ever, its second act is not nearly as good, whereas the Shining manages to perfectly build tension in a way that no other horror film has ever managed to.
Kingcrimsonprog View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingcrimsonprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2012 at 7:03am
I don't care for either, but then I'm not much of a Kubrick fan to be honest. 

My Blog: http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2012 at 3:30pm
Originally posted by Conor Fynes Conor Fynes wrote:

Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

Everyone knows 2001: A Space Odyssey is not only his greatest film, but the greatest film ever made.

I disagree on both counts. Tongue
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2012 at 10:06pm
I don't supposed you've listened to Sepultura's metal take on the movie, have you?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic