Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anyone like any of these bands?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingcrimsonprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anyone like any of these bands?
    Posted: 17 Feb 2012 at 9:00am
Dredg
Karnivool
The Butterfly Effect
Fair To Midland
The Dear Hunter
Dead Letter Circus
Cog
Karmakanic

?

If so discuss; favourite albums, songs, etc ?

My Blog: http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2012 at 9:21am
Yep!

Although I wasn't keen on the Fair To Midland album (although I have only played it once) and I don't have anything by Cog (although I have heard of them, there was a lot of reaction to their PA rejection)

Dredg would be my favourite from the list.

Catch Without Arms is my favourite Dredg album.

Edited by Colt - 17 Feb 2012 at 9:22am
Pelata View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pelata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2012 at 9:54am
Karmakanic & Dredg are pretty cool...never heard the others.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2012 at 11:02am
I�m sligthly familiar with most of them, but they all play a style of music that doesn�t appeal much to me.

...but that�s of course not to say they don�t make quality music, because most certainly do. I remember I reviewed a The Dear Hunter album a couple of years ago and I think I gave it a 4 star rating.

Edited by UMUR - 17 Feb 2012 at 11:04am
IMPF View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IMPF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2012 at 4:38pm

Edited by IMPF - 13 Feb 2019 at 5:58pm
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2012 at 8:01pm
The only ones I've listened to (or at least remember listening to) are Karnivool and 3.  I own both of Karnivool's full lengths, and think both have great songs.  I've only got 3's most recent album "The Ghost You GaveTo Me", and liked it enough to put on my 2011 Album Of The Year list.
Soul Dreamer View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Soul Dreamer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2012 at 10:00pm
This is a prog thread? Anyway, knowing 3, the Dear Hunter and Karmakanic, my favourite is by far Karmakanic with the album "Who's The Boss in the Factory"...great prog album...
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2012 at 10:27pm
only Dredg from the list 
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2012 at 3:25am
I know Fair To Midland... I like their latest album. It's sort of a type of progressive alternative metal.

Edited by Time Signature - 18 Feb 2012 at 3:26am
Diogenes View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diogenes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2012 at 10:59am
Dredg and The Dear Hunter are great.  I listened to Karnivool once and wasn't that impressed, but I obviously didn't give them a fair shake.  Never heard of anything from those other bands.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2012 at 11:07am
I'm going through the list right now band by band.  I actually remember hearing Fair to Midland before (the song Dance of the Manatee), and think they've got some strong songs.  I also had The Butterfly Effect listed in a file I keep on my computer as a reminder of bands I hear some music I like by them.  I'm a sucker these days for some solid melodic rock, mainstream-sounding stuff that sounds like it actually took some talent to create.  Listening to Karmakanic right now, and it sounds like it has some promise too, more blatantly proggy than the other stuff.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2012 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by Time Signature Time Signature wrote:

I know Fair To Midland... I like their latest album. It's sort of a type of progressive alternative metal.

Except for Karmakanic the other artists pretty much fall under that catagory. Some are more rock oriented than purely metal though.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors and Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2012 at 1:48pm
I am familiar with Dredg, 3, Karmakanic, and The Butterfly Effect. 
Karmakanic are my favorite of the bunch.  Who's the Boss... is my favorite of their albums.  I saw them live with Agents of Mercy two years ago and they sounded awesome (at least from a prog fan view point).  They were the same band though, so it was kind of funny.  After Agents of Mercy played they took a 10 minute break, and then the same 6 guys came out and said alright now were Karmakanic.  The only thing that they switched up were the singers, who alternated from backup to lead. 

The new album from 3 is pretty good.  Also, I really like The Butterfly Effect album Imago.  I've not heard anything else from them, but I've spoke with others who say that their newer album is even better.

Edited by rushfan4 - 20 Feb 2012 at 1:49pm
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2012 at 1:53pm
^LOLCool story about the concert Scott. Reminds me slightly of the time when Mercyful Fate supported King Diamond, but as far as I remember they only shared lead vocalist at the time.
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2012 at 4:18am
Dredg - (need to listen to more, but I like!)
Karnivool - yes!
The Butterfly Effect
Fair To Midland - Yes!
The Dear Hunter
Dead Letter Circus
Cog
3 - Yes!
Karmakanic - Yes!!!

I'll have to checkout the others.  First learned about "3" when they opened for Porky Tree and me and
my friend were blown away Big smile.

Karmakanic is an old fave!  and my fave song is (great lyrics) . . .

They are mostly a Prog Band but have little interludes of Prog Metal Wink.

"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2012 at 11:52am
I've started enjoying Karmakanic a lot lately Thumbs Up

Edited by LittleBig - 09 Jun 2012 at 11:52am
dtguitarfan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dtguitarfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2012 at 3:49pm
I like Karmakanic - got into them because I also like The Flower Kings.  I have a Karnivool album, and I remember thinking it was unique and liking it, but not enough to make me want to listen to it again and again.  One of my prog buddies that I go to concerts with LOVES 3, but I've never been crazy about them.  Didn't think they were bad, just not my thing I guess.
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2012 at 2:39am
Originally posted by Kingcrimsonprog Kingcrimsonprog wrote:

Dredg
Karnivool
The Butterfly Effect
Fair To Midland
The Dear Hunter
Dead Letter Circus
Cog
Karmakanic

?

If so discuss; favourite albums, songs, etc ?

A lot of those bands are Australian - Karnivool and Cog are and am not sure about the others - they are very different and quite progressive - not full on metal but heavy and technical. Butterfly Effect are very good too from Brisbane Australia.

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - 10 Jun 2012 at 2:40am
GLAM METAL!
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2012 at 2:41am
Karmakanic are great!

1. Karmakanic - Where the Earth Meets the Sky

www.youtube.com/watch?v=N813rm8mqNQ26 Oct 2007 - 7 min - zetallico
    Album: Wheel of Life (2004)
  2. Karmakanic - The Man in the Moon Cries

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPYdWzpkTrs6 May 2011 - 3 min - TheGhostOfFlea
    Album: Entering the Spectra (2003)
  3. Karmakanic - Turn It Up

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_0XAxvH6i048 Sep 2011 - 7 min - xV4n0x
    Album: In a Perfect World (20
GLAM METAL!
 Post Reply Post Reply