MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Power Metal Appreciation

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dtguitarfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 5:29pm
Originally posted by vmoore vmoore wrote:

never got into power or really listened to it much the only band i currently like that is power metal is dragonforce. u may give me shit for liking them but i think they kick ass. whats a good power metal band to start with.

I would never give you shit for liking them - they're fun. But you definitely need to talk to Adam (adg211288) - he's definitely the expert. One of my favorite Power Metal bands is Sonata Arctica...but they kind of mix in some other sub-genres and so they don't qualify as pure Power Metal, I guess.
dtguitarfan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dtguitarfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 5:30pm
Oh, duh...also Angra and Pagan's Mind. Same kind of deal as Sonata though, as far as mixing some other styles in (particularly Progressive with these two).
Diogenes View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diogenes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by dtguitarfan dtguitarfan wrote:

never got into power or really listened to it much the only band i currently like that is power metal is dragonforce. u may give me shit for liking them but i think they kick ass. whats a good power metal band to start with.

I would never give you shit for liking them - they're fun. But you definitely need to talk to Adam (adg211288) - he's definitely the expert. One of my favorite Power Metal bands is Sonata Arctica...but they kind of mix in some other sub-genres and so they don't qualify as pure Power Metal, I guess.

Their first 3 albums are pure power metal and their 4th is mostly power metal as well. 

As far as starting points, I'd go with the Keeper of the Seven Keys duo by Helloween.
IMPF2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IMPF2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 5:42pm
DragonForce are amazing, fuck the haters, they don't know what they are talking about AT ALL
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2012 at 1:06am
The Keeper of the Seven Keys albums by Helloween and definitely sound advice. Gambling With the Devil by Helloween as well.

No Helloween mention should go without one for Gamma Ray as well, who have also made several masterpieces including Land of the Free, Somewhere Out in Space and No World Order.

Sticking to related bands, Iron Savior also features Kai Hansen for a time. Kai is regarded as the godfather of power metal. That said, I like the band's most recent, The Landing, the most.

Blind Guardian as well, especially the albums Tales From The Twilight World, Somewhere Far Beyond, and Imaginations From the Other Side. 

Wuthering Heights if you like your power metal progressive and mixed with folk. Far From the Madding Crowd is I think their best album, not to mention one of my favourite albums of all time.

Rebellion mixed heavy and power metal and have a more aggressive sound than most power metal bands. Start with anything but the debut, although I recommend Miklagard the most.

The above spawned from Grave Digger, a band with a similar style. Not as well versed in these guys yet though so no particular album recommendations. Maybe Tunes of War...

Iced Earth combine US Power, trad, and thrash metal. Recommend Night of the Stormrider, Horror Show and Dystopia.

Nightmare from France, also combine trad and power. Start with Genetic Disorder for a more pure power metal experience or The Dominion Gate for their more progressive take on the genre.

Seven Kingdoms (I posted them earlier in this thread) are a bit of an ever-changing beast. You could tag their first album as a cambo of power, thrash and death metal, their second as power and thrash and their most recent as just power. Start with the most recent. All are killer albums but this one is the most focused.

Pharaoh are a USPM act. Start with The Longest Night.

Kamelot are another one of the big guns of power metal. Arguably they lost their way from the genre a couple of albums ago, but their new one puts them back on track. Recommended: The Fourth Legacy, Epica, The Black Halo

Avantasia are a metal opera project. Start with the first album, The Metal Opera.

It shames me to say I'm nowhere near as familiar with them as I should be, but Falconer. Chapters From a Vale Forlorn is a masterpiece.

Ancient Bards are symphonic power metal, and one of the best ones IMO. Think Rhapsody of Fire but with female vocals and 1000x better. Start with Soulless Child for musical quality, although their two albums follow on as a concept so maybe start with the debut instead.

Kiuas I think have one of the most unique power metal sounds going for them. I like Reformation the most.

Decent start I think. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
vmoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2012 at 10:07am
i will either start out with angra or blind guardian
vmoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2012 at 10:42am
also no one suggested Hammerfall i have always known about them. are they any good?
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2012 at 12:22pm
Virgin fucking Steele
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2012 at 12:59pm
I've never got into Hammerfall, and never felt inclined to try and change that.

Virgin Steele seconded.

More:

Pyramaze - progressive power metal which has featured the voices of Lance King and Matt Barlow
Demons & Wizards - side project of Blind Guardian's singer and Iced Earth's guitarist.
Arven - very folk influenced power metal with something of an atypical sound.
Almah - Project of now former Angra vocalist Edu Falaschi.
Tad Morose - I ought to get to know them better than I do really, but Modus Vivendi gets them included on this list already.
Order of Nine - baritone vocals in power metal, which works surprisingly well.
Crystal Viper - Another heavy power metal band, this time with female vocals
Savage Circus - Also known as Blind Guardian the 2nd.
Persuader - same singer as the last one, also recommended if you like Blind Guardian's style of power metal.

GG2U

IMPF2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IMPF2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2012 at 1:44pm
I would also highly recommend Pathfinder if you like DragonForce. They are most definitley my favourite Power Metal band.
vmoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2012 at 4:42pm
i listened to a few songs by Blind guardian and angra liked them both but liked angra better. so i found some rare promotional copy of Temple of shadows by Angra for sale on eBay for only $10 and ordered it. its probably even more rare than the first pressing of the album. i will post pics of it in recent metal purchases when it arrives in my hands
vmoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2012 at 9:13am
i looked in the 2012 best of metal and saw dtguitarfan's list and the band sabaton was on it. r they good. they weren't mentioned on here. the next power metal band i thinking of getting into is pathfinder, seven kingdoms, or Sabaton. Also that temple of shadows by angra kicks ass too bad their vocalist quit on them.

Edited by vmoore - 29 Oct 2012 at 9:15am
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2012 at 9:15am
I've only heard good things about Sabaton but I don't know their music well enough to recommend them, yet.

Try out Seven Kingdom's latest. It is easily the power metal album of 2012 for me. 
GG2U

dtguitarfan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dtguitarfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2012 at 11:51am

i looked in the 2012 best of metal and saw <span id="userPro80103" ="msgsidepro"="" title="View Drop Down">dtguitarfan's
list and the band sabaton was on it. r they good. they weren't
mentioned on here. the next power metal band i thinking of getting into
is pathfinder, seven kingdoms, or Sabaton. Also that temple of shadows by angra kicks ass too bad their vocalist quit on them.</span>

Sabaton, in my opinion, is kind of a one trick pony...but I really like their one trick, haha! They do this kind of "battle song" metal that would be what you'd want to listen to before suiting up and flying off to a dog fight if you know what I mean. They are one of the headliners at next year's Prog Power USA so I know there are plenty of people who like them more than I do.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2012 at 2:18pm
vmoore, if you like Angra definitely check out Almah, it is the same vocalist as recently left Angra. 

I wasn't actually keen on Almah's latest though. They infused their sound with groove metal and it didn't work. But Fragile Equality, the second album, is amazing.

GG2U

Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2012 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

I've only heard good things about Sabaton but I don't know their music well enough to recommend them, yet.

Same here, but I can definitely recommend one of their songs - namely, 'Primo Victoria' from the album of the same name.
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2012 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by IMPF2112 IMPF2112 wrote:

DragonForce are amazing, fuck the haters, they don't know what they are talking about AT ALL

Gotta love the Pac Man sounds.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors and Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2012 at 12:07pm
I am running a Helloween marathon in honor of tomorrow being Halloween (at least here in the USA).
vmoore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vmoore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2012 at 2:49pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

vmoore, if you like Angra definitely check out Almah, it is the same vocalist as recently left Angra. 

I wasn't actually keen on Almah's latest though. They infused their sound with groove metal and it didn't work. But Fragile Equality, the second album, is amazing.

just sampling their albums on amazon their latest album sounds like a letdown from their other albums. it didn't take a full listen to any of their albums for me to see that. but their second one sounds kick ass.

Edited by vmoore - 30 Oct 2012 at 2:49pm
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2012 at 11:30am
It is. Motion was one of last year's biggest disappointments for me. Edu left Angra to concentrate on Almah I believe, so hopefully Motion is the sound of things to come.
GG2U

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 7>
  Share Topic