Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2012's best of metal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diogenes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 9:52pm
I'm jealous of you guys with over 100 different listens for the year.  I wish my attention span was longer.

Does anyone know how the 2012 album of the year voting is going to work as far as the maximum number of choices we're going to be allowed?  I feel kind of dickish for only having 8 albums that I'd give a spot to so far.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by Diogenes Diogenes wrote:

I'm jealous of you guys with over 100 different listens for the year.  I wish my attention span was longer.

Does anyone know how the 2012 album of the year voting is going to work as far as the maximum number of choices we're going to be allowed?  I feel kind of dickish for only having 8 albums that I'd give a spot to so far.

Last year, we had a maximum of 20 albums.  The minimum might have been a list of 5.
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by Diogenes Diogenes wrote:

To me, simple listens are irrelevant which is why my RYM best of lists only have 4/5s or higher to show off the albums that I actually like and would more immediately recommend to others as opposed to some people who list everything on their list whether they love it or hate it.

I'll post my up to date list once I give Vanitas a listen.  It'll probably shake things up higher up on the rankings.
Diogenes View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diogenes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by Stooge Stooge wrote:

Last year, we had a maximum of 20 albums.  The minimum might have been a list of 5.

Yeah I'm not worried about not having enough albums to list, I'm just wondering where I should expect to draw the line as far as what gets included on my list and what doesn't.  I had a lot of 4 star albums on my list last year and I'd rather only include ones that I feel are really really good this time around.

Originally posted by Wilytank Wilytank wrote:

To me, simple listens are irrelevant which is why my RYM best of lists only have 4/5s or higher to show off the albums that I actually like and would more immediately recommend to others as opposed to some people who list everything on their list whether they love it or hate it.

I get that and I agree with you, but you don't know if you're going to like an album or not before you actually listen to it.  I think the majority of the albums I would put on my top list right now are either by bands I had never heard of before this year or by band I had no previous interest in.  Plus I think any ratings, good or bad, are beneficial to the database because we still don't have a lot of albums that have been rated enough times to justify getting a spot on a top list, and as a collab I should at least have a list that's been given a lot of consideration to. 

What I'm saying is it's hard for me to listen to too much music in a short time period.  I've got like 50 GB of music on my hard drive that I've downloaded from Bandcamp after thinking "Oh, this sounds cool" that I haven't even listened to once.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2012 at 9:20am
90 Reviews as of today: http://rateyourmusic.com/list/adg211288/2012_albums__by_review_score_

Aiming for the 100 mark ASAP.
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Jbird View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2012 at 8:27pm
Originally posted by The Niche The Niche wrote:

Just discovered this, though it's from march. I think it's pretty glorious.

That sounds pretty good. Is it all instrumental?
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2012 at 2:26am
My current list of the 2012 albums that I�ve listened to and reviewed. The list isn�t ranked (and a couple of non-metal releases might have sneaked in tooSmile):

1. Meshuggah - Koloss
2. Napalm Death - Utilitarian
3. Hail Spirit Noir - Pneuma
4. Overkill - The Electric Age
5. Gojira - L'Enfant Sauvage
6. Black Breath - Sentenced to Life
7. Kreator - Phantom Antichrist
8. Morgoth - Cursed to Live
9. Bereft - Leichenhaus
10. Marching Mind - The Sickness And The Theory
11. Ministry - Relapse
12. Royal Thunder - CVI
13. Agruss - Morok
14. Municipal Waste - The Fatal Feast (Waste in Space)
15. Anathema - Weather Systems
16. Testament - Dark Roots Of Earth
17. Liberteer - Better to Die on Your Feet Than Live on Your Knees
18. Bilocate - Summoning The Bygones
19. Corrosion of Conformity - Corrosion of Conformity
20. Paradise Lost - Tragic Idol
21. Ne Obliviscaris - Portal Of I
22. Cannibal Corpse - Torture
23. Spawn of Possession - Incurso
24. Killing Joke - MMXII
25. Horseback - Half Blood
26. Hour of Penance - Sedition
27. Dying Fetus - Reign Supreme
28. Fear Factory - The Industrialist
29. Canaan - Of Prisoners, wandering souls and cruel fears
30. Mondrian Oak - Aeon
31. Psycroptic - The Inherited Repression
32. Syn Ze Sase Tri - Sub Semnul Lupulu
33. Christian Mistress - Possession
34. Torture Division - Satan, Sprit och V�ld
35. Municipal Waste - Scion A/S Presents: Municipal Waste
36. General Surgery - A Collection of Depravation
37. Loincloth - Iron Balls of Steel
38. 16 - Deep Cuts From Dark Clouds
39. Terrorizer - Hordes of Zombies
40. Temple - Structures in Chaos
41. Death - Vivus!
42. Paradise Lost - Lost In Time
43. Asphyx - Deathhammer
44. Omega Centauri - Universum Infinitum
45. Baroness - Yellow & Green
45. Murder Construct - Results
46. Leukemia - Love
47. Serpentine Path - Serpentine Path
48. High on Fire - De Vermis Mysteriis
49. Dew-Scented - Icarus
50. Castle - Blacklands
51. The Flower Kings - Banks of Eden
52. Heaven�s Cry - Wheels of Impermanence
53. Prong - Carved Into Stone
54. The Grotesquery - The Facts and Terrifying Testament of Mason Hamilton: Tsathoggua Tales
55. Candlemass - Psalms for the Dead
56. The Faceless - Autotheism
57. Ephel Duath - On Death and Cosmos
58. Melvins - The Bulls & the Bees
59. Rush - Clockwork Angels
60. Barren Earth - The Devil's Resolve
61. Melvins - Freak Puke
62. Enslaved - RIITIIR
63. Hooded Menace - Effigies of Evil
64. Eschaton - Isolated Intelligence
65. Gory Blister - Earth-Sick
66. Mortalicum - The Endtime Prophecy
67. Heretic - A Time of Crisis
68. Inverloch - Dusk... Subside
69. Shining - Redefining Darkness
70. Nile - At the Gate of Sethu
71. Arkham Witch - Legions of the Deep
72. Ascension - Far Beyond the Stars
73. Pig Destroyer - Book Burner
74. Dragged Into Sunlight - WidowMaker
75. Sigur R�s - Valtari
76. The Kandidate - Facing the Imminent Prospect of Death
Vic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2012 at 7:45am
These will definitely make it to the top 20. In the parentheses a song that justifies the position and a good start to check out)

Nekromantheon - Rise, Vulcan Spectre (Rise, Vulcan Spectre)
Totally in love with this old school thrash with lots of interesting flavours and definite personality. For lovers of old school Slayer (83-86, emphasis on Hell Awaits), Darkness descends, Pleasure to Kill, Schizophrenia and the like. Also, I pick up a vibe from early Entombed and Whiplash's Power and Pain. Their 2010 Divinity of Death is also a GREAT album but they really found their voice here.

Deathhammer - Onward to the Pits (Fullmoon Sorcery)
Speed metal, deathrash, some (80s) black, very old school, terrible album cover and it really oozes charm and character, the vocals play a key role to that. Love it to bits.

Testament - Dark Roots of the Earth (Throne of Thorns)
Not a masterpiece but fucking great. Skolnick really shines on this one. And Throne of Thorns IS a masterpiece.

Pharaoh - Bury the Light (The Wolves)
Good, ballsy, non-cheesy power metal. Not their best but solid and very enjoyable.

Heart of Cygnus - The Voyage of Jonas (Isles of Ice) 
I can't fathom that this band has no contract. This is their 4th album, another concept and from the name you get the idea: Fans of proto-metal, very early Iron Maiden and of course Rush, Queen (early) and prog rock, should definitely pay attention. I am not a HUGE fan of any of the above (apart from Queen) but this really stole my heart. Great sound and I dig the fact they proudly say they are a metal band. From all the vintage 70s shit that is plaguing the market (Witchcraft, Ghost, Devil's Blood, Graveyard and all that stuff), this is by far the only thing that actually got me hooked.

Bio-Cancer - Ear Piercing Thrash (Spread the Cancer)
Greeks, kids right out of school and the fuckers are rabid. Definitely check this out if you are a fan of the more speedy, raw, Morbid Saint, Sadus kind of thrash. Very catchy. They need some more variety but half the album is great already.

Striker - Armed to the Teeth (Lethal Force)
Canadian old school heavy metal worshippers. The interesting thing about these dudes is that they pick from a lot of sources apart from the obvious ones. They dig US Metal (like Helstar) and german metal like Grave Digger (not the vocals!). Also a healthy dose of hard rock. Overall, it's the songs themselves that make this so catchy and enjoyable.

...and Tenacious D - Rize of the Fenix (not metal but I enjoyed the fuck out of it) 

Catchy as fuck, amazing vocal performance by Jack Black (seriously) and tons of hooks and adult School of Rock enthusiasm. 

The list with potentials is very long at the moment: 
Candlemass, Diablo Swing Orchestra, Overkill, Kreator, Accept, Orange Goblin, Napalm Death, Terrorizer, Tantara, Thrashist Regime, Hexen, Angel Witch, Trail of Murder (still fresh and still not sure what I think - this interests me as it features the two main songwriters of Tad Morose including Urban Breed on vocals), Gojira, Headspace, Slingblade, Tankard, Black Pyramid. And more.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2012 at 5:06am
Hit the 100 mark, in I think less time than last year.

GG2U

IMPF2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IMPF2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2012 at 7:31am
http://rateyourmusic.com/list/IronMaidnPinkFloyd2112/impfs_best_of_2012/

also, I have apparently heard more albums from 2012 than from any other year in music
Jbird View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2012 at 7:44am
Here's all the 2012 releases I've bought this year, so far. Including the 'not metal' cd's:

Adrenaline Mob - Omert�
Aeternam - Moongod
Affector - Harmageddon
Alcest - Les Voyages De L'ame
Anathema - Weather Systems (not metal)
Between The Buried And Me - The Parallax II: Future Sequence
Beyond The Bridge - The Old Man And The Spirit
Circus Maximus - Nine
Delain - We Are The Others
Eluveitie - Helvetios
Epica - Requiem For The Indifferent
Flying Colors - Flying Colors (not metal)
Gotthard - Rebirth (hard rock)
Halestorm - The Strange Case Of.... (rockin' pop)
Headspace - I Am Anonymous
Jorn - Bringing Heavy Rock To The Land
Kamelot - Silverthorn
Lamb Of God - Resolution
Arjen Anthony Lucassen - Lost In The New Real
Porcupine Tree - Octane Twisted
Primal Fear - Unbreakable
Rush - Clockwork Angels (hard rock)
Sonata Arctica - Stones Grow Her Name
Testament - Dark Roots Of Earth
Threshold - March Of Progress
To-Mera - Exile
Wintersun - Time I
Xandria - Neverworld's End

I'd give the nod to Headspace right now for my album of the year, but out of the rest of those I really like the Circus Maximus, Threshold, and Eluveitie alot as well.

I'm a huge Kamelot fan (and Seventh Wonder fan as well, where Kamelots new singer came from), but so far I think Silverthorn isn't as good as Karma/Epica/Black Halo/Ghost Opera. Maybe it'll grow on me more, I didn't care for Ghost Opera at first, either, and now it's my favorite Kamelot album.

The Delain album I think is their best yet, they've gotten better at songwriting, but at the same time it's less metal. Still, it's a good album but not a great one.

Edited by Jbird - 02 Jan 2013 at 1:28pm
dtguitarfan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dtguitarfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2012 at 9:38am
Originally posted by Jbird Jbird wrote:

I'd give the nod to Headspace right now for my album of the year, but out of the rest of those I really like the Circus Maximus, Threshold, and Eluveitie alot as well.
YEEAAAAHHH!  My #1 of the year so far as well...

And to Adam - awesome that you reached 100, man.  That's 100 reviews?  Pretty amazing, really.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2012 at 9:54am
Placed at 12 on mine, but most definitely top tier.

And yeah, that's 100 reviews just for 2012 releases. I've done a few older release reviews here and there as well. 
GG2U

Doomster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doomster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2012 at 8:47pm
Neurosis - Honor Found In Decay
Jbird View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2012 at 10:07pm
I just ordered that new Wintersun after watching a couple of the in the studio live videos on youtube.

Sounds pretty epic, though I'm not really familiar with them.

I guess I could put the Nightwish - Imaginaerum album in the 2012 releases too, since it didn't get released in the U.S. 'til what, January 08?
Jbird View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jbird Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2012 at 7:37pm
That new Wintersun is fantastic, I love it! Smile

The recording isn't very good though. I can hear a bit of background hiss, and there are volume spikes up and down when there shouldn't be, sometimes it's hard to hear the guitars over the orchestration.

If it weren't for those problems, plus the fact it's a very short album....5 tracks, only 3 actual songs, roughly 35+ minutes.....I might give it the nod for album of the year. The songs are just epic sounding!

I actually think the sound on that bonus dvd is better mixed...I wish Wintersun would release a remixed version of the album using the audio from the dvd. Unfortunately for us U.S.A.'ers, the dvd is only PAL format, no NTSC Cry
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bartosso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2012 at 2:08pm
My (under construction) list of 2012 bests:

1. A Forest of Stars � A Shadowplay for Yesterdays  (10/10)  [AVANT METAL]
2. Cattle Decapitation � Monolith of Inhumanity  (9/10)  [DEATH METAL]
3. Enslaved � RIITIIR  (9/10)  [PROG/BLACK METAL]

4. Vaura � Selenelion  (9/10)  [AVANT METAL]
5. Jess and the Ancient Ones � Jess and the Ancient Ones  (9/10)  [HARD ROCK]
6. Wodensthrone � Curse  (8/10)  [BLACK METAL]
7. Distorted Harmony � Utopia  (8/10)  [PROG METAL]
8. Lunar Aurora � Hoagascht  (8/10)  [BLACK METAL]
9. Worm Ouroboros � Come the Thaw  (8/10)  [POST/DOOM METAL]
10. Katatonia � Dead End Kings  (8/10)  [DOOM/PROG METAL]
11. Cloudkicker � Fade  (7,5/10)  [POST METAL]
12. Hail Spirit Noir � Pneuma  (7/10)  [BLACK/PSYCHEDELIC METAL]
13. Ihsahn � Eremita  (7/10)  [EXTREME PROG METAL]
14. Sigh � In Somniphobia  (6,5/10)  [AVANT METAL]
15. Kayo Dot � Gamma Knife  (6/10)  [AVANT METAL]
Kingcrimsonprog View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingcrimsonprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2012 at 7:37pm
KCP AOTY 2012:

1. Baroness � Yellow And Green
2. Accept � Stalingrad
3. Distorted Harmony - Utopia       
4. Coheed And Cambria � The Afterman Ascention
5. Mars Volta � Noctourniquet
6. Jethro Tull�s Ian Anderson � TAAB2
7. Kreator � Phantom Antichrist
8. Testament � Dark Roots Of The Earth
9. Rush � Clockwork Angels
10. Architects - Daybreaker
11. Lamb Of God - Resolution
12. Parkway Drive � Atlas
13. C.O.C � S/T
14. Black Country Communion - Afterglow
15. Kiss � Monster
16. Marilyn Manson � Born Villain
17. Serj Tankian � Harakiri
18. Black Moth � The Killing Jar
19. Napalm Death - Utilitarian
20. Savage Messiah � Plaugue Of Conscious

Hon Men:
Soulfly � Enslaved
Shadow�s Fall � Fire From The Sky
Biohazard � Reborn in Defiance

My Blog: http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2013 at 1:18pm
Hey guys . . .

Is there a "DUE Date" for the MMA Best of 2012 yet? I dont want to miss out!
I'm still editing my Top 30 Playlist - so please let me know, thanks all Big smile.

"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors and Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2013 at 1:59pm
Due date was 1/15 but I think that you could probably submit one; the sooner the better.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
  Share Topic