MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Djent

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goskoski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Djent
    Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 9:37pm
I just learned that there is a Metal sub-genre called Djent. Can anyone give me a definition of this genre and maybe you can post bands that play this form of Metal.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 10:11pm
It's technically not a genre, but a guitar tone.  It is typically used with thrashy progressive metal though

maybe check out this thread: http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1440
The Angry Scotsman View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 10:24pm
Listen to the album "Nothing" by Meshuggah.

That riff, uber heavy that sounds like it is "falling" is djent.
And it's not a genre, most "djent" bands are some type of core or prog metal band and they tend to suck. Though it's cool sounding if used occasionally.
Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer and Testament. The real Big Four of thrash metal!

Listen to doom metal, worship Satan
Doomster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doomster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 10:38pm
Meshuggah doesn't suck (IMO atleast :P)
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Person Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 10:39pm

Originally, the word referred to a specific sound; it is in fact an onomatopoeia. Bulb (a.k.a. Misha Mansoor) says it best: "The onomatopoeia of a heavily palm muted distorted guitar chord which is usually played as but not limited to a 4 string double octave powerchord, and as a result sounds much more metallic and sonically present than a 'chug' 'chugga' or 'djun' per se, and which is basically how Periphery would describe its palm muted guitar sound."

Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2012 at 11:35pm
i like Djun more then Djent, 
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 2:29am
Tech-Thrash + Math Metal + 2000's = Djent

Originally posted by The Angry Scotsman The Angry Scotsman wrote:

Listen to the album "Nothing" by Meshuggah.

That riff, uber heavy that sounds like it is "falling" is djent.
And it's not a genre, most "djent" bands are some type of core or prog metal band and they tend to suck. Though it's cool sounding if used occasionally.

I only agree when things get too "Core", but their are a few bands that are doing great things with
the "Shuggahner influenced Chugging/Djent.  And they are also considered "Math Metal" , many
are very "Fusion"-like, like Cynic.

TesseracT - "One" being my No. 2 fave of 2011.

But . . .

Let me say, with your Bulbs, Animals as Leaders, Cloudkickers, Scale the Summits and Chimp
Spanners, before them you had:
- Meshuggah (I believe Fredrik or Hagstrom came up with "Djent")
- Continuo Renacer
- Atheist
- Extol
- Spastic Ink
- Canvas Solaris
- Behold . . . The Arctopus
- Gordian Knot
- A((wake))
- Textures
- Periphery
- Exivious
and a host of others I'm forgetting Embarrassed

But I do feel, when they add the Progressive elements into it, it makes it more interesting.
Again, its a matter of taste.  I'm picky about the genre (It is becoming a genre, but the forefathers are
already being forgotten sadly) as much as I am with Darkwave/Symphonic and Powermetal.
But its also being terribly mistaken as "Emo-Screamo" as well, and thats not fair, it was like calling
Meshuggah a "Pantera-clone" years ago Confused. Many dont have vocals as they are just instrumental.

I suggest finding the bands I mentioned (A((wake)) is awesome but its soo rare its not even on
YOUtube! Go to progulus.com Wink).
And heres some cool ones I've found last year (and the last few when they debuted in 2008):

Circles:

Gru:

Mindwork:

Halcyon:

Xerath:

Memento Waltz:

Dynahead:

Instant Supression:

And . . .

Lookie! Djent Compilations Big smile (warning, "Core" sounding stuff too):

Djent Bands Part 1
Djent Bands Part 2
Djent Bands
Top 10 Djent Bands (re-tweaked)

That'll get you started Big smile.

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 18 Jan 2012 at 2:35am
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 5:40am
Unlike many of my fellow metalheads, I accept the notion of djent as a genre. First off, genre is really just a matter of categorization, and anything can become a defining feature of a category. This also applies to genres, I'd argue, and if a guitar tone is what it takes for people to start classifying artists who use that tone as a genre, then, it is a genre - a category of music - to them. Secondly, the mere fact that a lot of people talk about djent as a genre indicates that it has been/or is being constructed discursively as a genre with the djent tone as a defining feature. People talk about it as a genre - hence, it is a genre to them. It exists as a genre out there in social-discursive space (at least in the community of people who talk about it as a genre), and the more this djent discourse spreads on the internet, the more entrenched the idea of djent as a genre will be. Just like the notions of true metal and false metal. I don't believe in that distinction, but I cannot deny that a lot of people do operate with that distinction and that, to them, it exists.

But that's just my inner social constructivist, my inner discourse analyst, and my inner cognitive linguist speaking.

Actually, I find the use genre labels in the discourse on music incredibly fascinating - I remember reading a scientific  paper on the use of genre labels in electronic music; it would be very interesting to do a similar study on the use of genre labels in metal music.
Kingcrimsonprog View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingcrimsonprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 7:05am
I don't think any genre is a fact. I don't think any band are definitely one genre or another, they are just whatever most people call them.
I think a genre is a genre if enough people agree to it.

That being said I do think shock rock isn't a genre and that its inclusion on Metal Evolution was a bit silly, so I'm a hypocrite. So, I guess think a genre is a genre if enough people agree to it and the bands share any sonic similarities. Visual ones are not enough.

My Blog: http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 7:35pm
Djent albums all seem the same to me.  Individual songs are pretty cool, but put them all together on an album and all that technicality quickly grows old.  The only exception to me is Catch Thirtythree.
Doomster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doomster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by Wilytank Wilytank wrote:

The only exception to me is Catch Thirtythree.

Oh yeah, love that album.
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 10:38pm
Well . . .

I can never get enough of Destroy Erase Improve Big smile It just has everything I want in a Math Metal Album
of that type of aggression (None is good too). Chaosphere and Obzen are the closest to that era.
Carch33 though is a great Avant Garde journey, some truly excellent soundscapes.
I is scary! LOL

Never heard anything like this (or Future Breed Machine, I heard 1min. of the song and was hooked)
when a friend gave it to me 15+ years ago:

The Allan Holdsworth-like solos throughout the album are sublime Clap . . .

"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2012 at 10:54pm
DEI was my first 'shugg, and I love it still
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 6:47am
I think there's a lot of good djent stuff out there - I like Chimp Spanner, TesseracT, The Empire Shall Fall, Animals as Leaders and stuff like that.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 9:24am
I think I can safely say I don't like djent. Some it, usually the instrumental stuff, is passable enough I guess, but not even the likes of Animals as Leaders or Chimp Spanner really do a lot for me. I enjoyed Xerath's latest a fair bit, although I don't personally consider Xerath as anything to do with this djent stuff. They're symphonic groove metal. I don't see the point in all these 'genre' names floating, including djent, about when music is perfectly describable under established genres. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by adg211288 adg211288 wrote:

....They're symphonic groove metal. I don't see the point in all these 'genre' names floating, including djent, about when music is perfectly describable under established genres. 

Symphonic Groove Metal????

. . . oh come on Confused. (But then you say the next quote).

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2012 at 10:09am
Sorry mate that's exactly what they are, at the core of it.  Well, II is at least. I haven't listened to I yet. They throw in some prog too and a bit of death, but the most common sounds in II are groove metal like riffs, with symphonic elements. Hence symphonic groove metal. 
GG2U

MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2012 at 10:29am
I dont mean to be an ass . . .

Symphonic Metal to me has either meant "Powermetal" or "Darkwave" (The Gothic Female fronted Operatic vox),
add "Groove" and that just means the Guitar riffs "Chug" or . . . D-jent  Tongue.
I just dont get where the symphonic part comes in, the Keys? Well in the example of Xerath the keys are
played as a Lead instrument or textures, not so much as a "Orchestral Background" of sounds.

Look, I'm an Old Fart . . . I have followed every sub-genre of Metal since its creation, I always thought I had
a pretty good ear, yet not being able to be articulate enough and my limited knowledge of Music
"terminology" to know what I'm talking about Ouch . . .

So I guess we'll agree to disagree Wink.

adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2012 at 10:54am
Actual and pure symphonic metal is arguably somewhat rare, that's why the term is used as a prefix on other genres quite often, symphonic power, symphonic black, etc. Though I guess you could argue that symphonic power metal sounds better on paper than power symphonic metal. Wink In some ways it's an overused term as a genre, but a very legit prefix to most, or even theoretically all metal genres, though I don't think I've heard of a symphonic thrash band yet. LOL

This is is most definitely a symphonic Xerath track. from II, the sounds do get a little drowned in some places once the metal kicks in but if you listen carefully they can be heard throughout. In fact this track is more symphonic metal than it is groove metal in my opinion.

My overall point was more that Xerath is describable under legitimate genres (as is every so called djent act I've heard I just picked on them because I'm most familiar with them). Symphonic Metal, Groove Metal and even Progressive Metal are all valid, so why the need to used the term djent as a genre?

By the way I don't mean to be an ass either, but all these meaningless so called genre names that go around these days is something I just don't get. Djent is just one of them. You could say I like to keep things simple.
GG2U

MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2012 at 11:31am
I like labels,

But only those that describe the music as a whole, not are a derivative of an already established title, BUT . . .
I can tell a "Djent" band from a "Math Metal" band from the way the guitars punctuate the notes.
And Math Metal can encompass many forms of Metal, yet its a derivative of Prog Metal that composes
complex rhythms and compositions . . .

Anyway, when I take a product off the shelf, I want to know whats in it, what are the ingredients, thats why
I dont mind Labels.  But Bathroom Tissue is just Toilet Paper in the end Wink.

But I think you are too late adg, Djent has become a genre, its being used by many folks now Embarrassed. So I
agree with Time Signatures assessment.
Okay, you pick a knife, or gun, and I'll use my Guitar Ouch! . . .

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic