Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Battlebots

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheavy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Battlebots
    Posted: 24 Dec 2011 at 10:56pm
Anyone remember watching this show? I absolutely loved it.

Diogenes View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diogenes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2011 at 11:15pm
DUDE!  This show was the shit!  My favorites were Diesector because it looked hella cool, and Hazard because it beat the crap out of every other robot.  I wish they would have showed every match on television instead of just a few, though.  I still have a VHS tape of some of the fights...totally forgot how lame the jokes were and how hot Carmen Electra was.

Rumor has it they're trying to get it back on TV, with new rules such as no wedges (too simple and too effective).  I hope they can get it done!
SKwid View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKwid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2011 at 12:29am
I loved battle bots, and robot wars.  they were both soo good. 

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2011 at 2:12am
Originally posted by Diogenes Diogenes wrote:

DUDE!  This show was the shit!  My favorites were Diesector because it looked hella cool, and Hazard because it beat the crap out of every other robot.  I wish they would have showed every match on television instead of just a few, though.  I still have a VHS tape of some of the fights...totally forgot how lame the jokes were and how hot Carmen Electra was.

Rumor has it they're trying to get it back on TV, with new rules such as no wedges (too simple and too effective).  I hope they can get it done!

I remember this show! and of course Carmen ElectraBowdown
Sheavy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheavy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2011 at 5:58pm
Yes. I liked Hazard, even though my favorite was Ziggo, and I also liked Sunshine Lollibot just because of the name.Tongue.

Hmm. I kinda hope that (if they do bring the show back) they don't make any rule like that one, wedges weren't too overly powerful.
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2011 at 3:53am
I watched Robot Wars, which I think was awesomelicious. I miss watching those mechanical beasts destroy each other.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2011 at 9:49am
I liked the show, but never really watched it much.  As part of a college project, we had to program robots or "sumo-bots", and had them compete.  Mine lost in the first round of competition (but so did many superior programmed bots).  We couldn't do mechanical adjustments to our bots, so no appending hammers, baseball bats, drills, torches, etc..
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2011 at 11:55am
^ I did something similar to that at a Lego Mindstorms camp thing when I was younger.  My brother and I were on a team, and we smoked everybody else because ours had treads and variable gear ratios, compared to everybody else's (we were like 12) directly driven wheels
Diogenes View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diogenes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2011 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by Sheavy Sheavy wrote:

Yes. I liked Hazard, even though my favorite was Ziggo, and I also liked Sunshine Lollibot just because of the name.Tongue.

Hmm. I kinda hope that (if they do bring the show back) they don't make any rule like that one, wedges weren't too overly powerful.

Probably because no one wants to see a wedge vs. wedge shoving match.  I mean, look at this:

Compared to this:

Bots like Biohazard proved that the wedge+lifting arm strategy wins, but there are more people that want to see sparks and parts go flying than those who can appreciate good driving and engineering.  I personally like the spinner weapons, but if wedges are outlawed, I have a feeling you'd be seeing those things everywhere.  But let's work on getting it back on TV first! Smile

Damn, who re-designed the Battlebots website?  It looks like crap. 

Edited by Diogenes - 26 Dec 2011 at 9:07pm
Sheavy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sheavy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2011 at 12:05am
I liked Sabotage vs. Zion, Nightmare vs. Whyachi went by way to quickly, it feels like I'm watching a commercial for the show.Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic