MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Live Performance Reviews
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Cynic/Chimp Spanner, 18th of Dec. 2011, Templet, L
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cynic/Chimp Spanner, 18th of Dec. 2011, Templet, L

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cynic/Chimp Spanner, 18th of Dec. 2011, Templet, L
    Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 2:47am
Cynic/Chimp Spanner, 18th of Dec. 2011, Templet, Lyngby, DK
So what�s better than a visit from the warm Florida on a freezing cold winter night in Denmark? Tech/progressive metal act CYNIC had announced that they were coming to town (my home town no less) a few months back and of course I purchased tickets as fast as I could. Having been a fan of the band since the early nineties I was not gonna miss this opportunity to see them live. I never got the chance to see CYNIC when they toured in support of "Focus (1993)", so I�ve been waiting 18 years to see them. CYNIC brought UK tech/progressive fusion metal act CHIMP SPANNER with them as support. Templet in Lyngby (which is a suburb to Copenhagen), is a very small venue with room for about 150 people. The concert was sold out though, so the pretty small room was filled to the brim.

CHIMP SPANNER was the first band on stage. I had only heard about them and haven�t listened to their music before seeing them live but even though they play a very technical form of instrumental fusion metal the music wasn�t too inaccessible and they delivered a tight and convincing show. Lots of jazzy soloing and odd time signatures. A bit more showmanship to go along with the virtuosic noodling would have made the show perfect. The drummer was pretty active but the two guitarists and the bassist were pretty static.

After a short break CYNIC entered the stage to the tones of "Amidst the Coals" and went right into "Carbon-Based Anatomy", which are the two opening tracks on the "Carbon-Based Anatomy (2011)" EP. Already at this point I could hear that there was something special in store for us this night. The song selection for the night spanned all the group�s releases and while the set was focused predominantly on post 2008 material it worked well when the band incorporated older more energetic tracks like "How Could I" and "Veil of Maya" into the set. The peak of the evening for me was probably when they played "King of Those Who Know". Not only is it an incredibly challenging song, but also a beautiful ditto. The two new (touring?) members Brandon Giffin on bass and Max Phelps on guitar, raw vocals did a great job and seamlessly complimented Paul Masvidal (guitar, clean vocals) and Sean Reinert (drums).

All in all a great night. Oh...and I forgot to mention that the sound quality was excellent.

(The pictures are not from the actual show. If anyone owns the rights to the pictures and wish them removed, please PM me)

Edited by UMUR - 19 Dec 2011 at 2:47am
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 5:41am
Sounds like a great show!
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 7:39am
It was!
near_zero View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote near_zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 12:05pm
Woulda loved to see this tour when it was in Dublin, mates of mine played support(check em out here if you like), after one of the openers had to pull out.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2011 at 5:19pm
That would be Hypno5e - I don't know exactly why they got canceled off the tour.
Andyman1125 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2012 at 10:48pm
Both acts are incredible, so I can imagine it would be an awesome show.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2012 at 4:10am
It was a really awesome show. A small venue, an attentive crowd, great musicians. The third band cancelled, which means that the gig was shorter, which means that I got home earlier than I expected. The perfect evening for a boring person like me.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 2:15pm
A perfect night for me tooLOL
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 2:47pm
Oh yeah, I guess your were home like five minutes after the concert was over.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 2:54pm
Yeah my brother and I just have time to eat the sandwishes I had prepared for us before we were home (he lives 5 minutes from me). Recently I�ve begun preparing food to eat after the concerts. A big hitLOL
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2012 at 3:03pm
When we reach out age, we might as well make going to concerts a luxury experience.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Prog/AG Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2020 at 9:20pm
So cool you got to see them! What's up with the pics missing? Do they disappear after a few years? Great description :)
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2020 at 12:43am
Yeah I guess the pics disappear after some years. They weren´t from the actual show anyways so it´s not that important.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2022 at 1:02am
I met an old friend a few week back I hadn´t talked to for a number of years, and we found out that we had both been as this gig (which was at a very small venue with room for maybe 150-200 people), and somehow managed not to bump into each other...now that´s an achievement LOL.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic