Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2012 at 2:43pm
Thumbs Up
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
dtguitarfan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2012 at 5:04pm
The point is that everyone teaches their children what they believe in. Some are more constructive than others - using reason and logic to support those things that they believe in, and some are just repeating back what they have been taught as children without having ever developed an understanding of why they believe it, it is true. All religions have reasonable and unreasonable people in them. That includes Darwinists....
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2012 at 7:08pm
Well, the point is we're talking two different things here while you, correct me if I'm wrong, see that as a whole. These two things I'm talking about here are: 1) morality 2) dogma. I mean, atheism is by definition devoid of dogma. It's not a religion or even a real ideology. Atheism is the rejection of belief in the existence of deities. 

Anyway, by indoctrination I understand putting religious dogma into the heads of children. Children cannot decide for themselves and they are "programmed", through the process of evolution, to take everything their parents say as an indisputable truth. So they learn about God and Jesus, about heaven and most notably hell, the place they go to if their lives are full of sin (I'm not going to elaborate on why morality based on fear is a bad thing, that's another story for another discussion).

Now that's where that aforementioned division steps in. You can't make your kids Christian without combining dogma and christian morality together. Their morality is based on dogma, that heaven/hell dualism defines their approach to what is good and bad. Many Christians claim that Christianity has exclusive rights to morality which is just not true. They tend to overlook the fact that respecting animal rights, equality of women, respect for nature and ecology are all fruits of moral philosophy called ethics and it has very little basis in religion.

My point is that atheists, whatever kind of people they are, teach their children that dogma doesn't exist, in other words they teach to be objective. The only thing they put into their heads (or at least they should) is morality, yet unrestrained by dogma.

Edited by bartosso - 12 Nov 2012 at 7:14pm
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2012 at 7:19pm

J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2012 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by dtguitarfan dtguitarfan wrote:

The point is that everyone teaches their children what they believe in. Some are more constructive than others - using reason and logic to support those things that they believe in, and some are just repeating back what they have been taught as children without having ever developed an understanding of why they believe it, it is true. All religions have reasonable and unreasonable people in them. That includes Darwinists....

Darwinists? Confused Accepting the theory of evolution does not make you a religious person, Geoff.

...and that's not necessarily true. I will teach my children what I believe in (kindness, compassion, skepticism, scientific thought, etc), but I am not in any way forcing them to adhere to my beliefs. Do you not see how that is different than telling your children "here is what I believe, and if you disagree with me, you will be going to hell."? That is an inherently harmful position to put children into.
IMPF2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2012 at 8:02pm
>All religions
>That includes Darwinists

lol what
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2012 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by Skwid Skwid wrote:

IMPF2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2012 at 8:20pm
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 1:40am
[QUOTE=Wilytank] [QUOTE=Skwid]

Hear, hearSmoke
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 12:15pm
How can you teach morality without dogma? There is no reason to be moral without dogma, except that with governmental law it becomes an issue of the preservation of self.

And yes, Darwinists must have faith as well. If you believe that billions of years ago all matter compacted into a ball and then exploded and this caused the processes which eventually resulted in life, but you cannot explain where that matter came from, and cannot explain the astoundingly low mathematical chances that everything would be just right in order to cause this, you are also living by faith.
bartosso View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 1:27pm
So, in order to keep this discussion clear to the outsidersTongue, you said:

Jeff said:
Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

Darwinists? Confused Accepting the theory of evolution does not make you a religious person, Geoff.

...and that's not necessarily true. I will teach my children what believe in (kindness, compassion, skepticism, scientific thought, etc), but I am not in any way forcing them to adhere to my beliefs. Do you not see how that is different than telling your children "here is what I believe, and if you disagree with me, you will be going to hell."? That is an inherently harmful position to put children into.

My response to Geoff's post:
Originally posted by bartosso bartosso wrote:

Well, the point is we're talking two different things here while you, correct me if I'm wrong, see that as a whole. These two things I'm talking about here are: 1) morality 2) dogma. I mean, atheism is by definition devoid of dogma. It's not a religion or even a real ideology. Atheism is the rejection of belief in the existence of deities. 

Anyway, by indoctrination I understand putting religious dogma into the heads of children. Children cannot decide for themselves and they are "programmed", through the process of evolution, to take everything their parents say as an indisputable truth. So they learn about God and Jesus, about heaven and most notably hell, the place they go to if their lives are full of sin (I'm not going to elaborate on why morality based on fear is a bad thing, that's another story for another discussion).

Now that's where that aforementioned division steps in. You can't make your kids Christian without combining dogma and christian morality together. Their morality is based on dogma, that heaven/hell dualism defines their approach to what is good and bad. Many Christians claim that Christianity has exclusive rights to morality which is just not true. They tend to overlook the fact that respecting animal rights, equality of women, respect for nature and ecology are all fruits of moral philosophy called ethics and it has very little basis in religion.

My point is that atheists, whatever kind of people they are, teach their children that dogma doesn't exist, in other words they teach to be objective. The only thing they put into their heads (or at least they should) is morality, yet unrestrained by dogma.

And your response:

How can you teach morality without dogma? There is no reason to be moral without dogma, except that with governmental law it becomes an issue of the preservation of self. 

And yes, Darwinists must have faith as well. If you believe that billions of years ago all matter compacted into a ball and then exploded and this caused the processes which eventually resulted in life, but you cannot explain where that matter came from, and cannot explain the astoundingly low mathematical chances that everything would be just right in order to cause this, you are also living by faith.

No, the difference between believing in something and knowing something is that you don't need ANY proof to believe. If you have the proof, you know it. I think you can agree with me that from the scientific point of view, religious dogma has nothing to do with science. It can't be empirically proved by any means. That's why it's called belief, and that's why dogma is by definition indisputable. How would you describe God with the use of physics? How did he come to existence? How would you explain God's eternal life with the use of biology? That is impossible. Big Bang, on the other hand, is a highly probable scientific theory based on physics. And yeah, we don't know yet what was there before the big bang. So what? At least atheists are not afraid to admit they simply don't know something. In my opinion looking for answers is more creative and more human than settling for dogma and have answers to all questions provided from the very beginning.

As for morality, that's IMO another misconception. Morality has been there before religion and it's a direct result of self-consciousness. Basic ethical values are the first values understood by infants - "the good is that what's good for me, the bad is that what's bad for me". In later stages of life children learn about empathy, so their morality evolves into "the good is what is good to people in general, the bad is that's what harmful to people in general".

If you need another proof, take Calvinists and their predestination. According to their beliefs, the life and its afterlife are already planned by God. No matter what your decisions are during your life, you'll go either to heaven or hell. It doesn't depend on your deeds. Still Calvinists were never less moral than Catholics, what's more, they were even more decent people even though their morality was not imposed on them with the use of dogma. They simply choose to be good. Just as most of atheists. To me the idea of being good only because I'm going to be punished if I'm evil is... primitive. I want to be a decent human being and I don't expect any reward for that.

Edited by bartosso - 13 Nov 2012 at 2:08pm
IMPF2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 1:48pm
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 2:35pm

Sorry Geoff, but I find this stupid and offensive. Morality is based on empathy and compassion - NOT a set of rules from various texts written thousands of years ago. Millions of people are moral without dogma, and to claim that false belief in a supreme being is essential to acting like a decent person is patently absurd.

1) Darwinism is NOT a religion.
2) Big bang cosmology has absolutely NOTHING to do with evolutionary theory (mixing those two things up really baffles me).
3) Basing beliefs on scientific principles and evidence is NOT faith - faith is defined as a belief without evidence, which is the exact opposite of a rational and scientific worldview.
4) My lack of an explanation does NOT mean that you can just stick a God in and claim that you 'know' the origins of the universe. That's the argument from ignorance fallacy.
5) How the hell did you calculate the mathematical probability of the universe existing?

I'm not trying to be a dick, but do you not see the flaws in what you're saying?
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 4:25pm
No need to get PO'd. I'm merely pointing out that Atheists/Darwinists must also have a certain level of faith to believe what they do.

There have been many mathematical studies done of the probability of evolution occurring. What they do is they take the combination of things which must occur in order for an organism to work, and the number of wrong combinations that would not work, and calculate a probability. And the numbers are astounding. Evolutionists will say "well, the numbers are actually less because there are so many planets and the universe is billions and billions and billions and billions of years old." But it doesn't hold water to me. Imagine two ants, Bill and Ted, who come across an airplane. The conversation that follows:
Bill: "Clearly this was designed by a being much bigger than us - it has a function, a level of complexity, there must be a precise combination of parts that are shaped and weighted just right for it to work. It must have been designed."
Ted: "you're stupid. You have no proof of this bigger being. Clearly this came about by chance - a whirlwind swept through a junkyard and out popped this airplane."
Bill: "That can't possibly work - the mathematical chances of the pieces coming together just right are too high!"
Ted: "Well, the earth is billions and billions and billions and billions of years old, and there are many many many many junkyards, and so there have been many many many whirlwinds over this period of time. So the probability is actually much higher than you think."
Bill: "Well, how did all the parts come into being? How did the nuts and bolts get shaped, which were thrown together just right by this astoundingly high number of whirlwinds?"
Ted: "Volcanoes."
Bill: "Volcanoes? The magma was shaped just right by volcanoes? What about the fact that magma is not pure metal?"
Ted: "Well...the magma was sifted just right through...um...sand...and water...and stuff...."
Bill: "You're adding more complexity to this, so your mathematical probabilities are going lower here...."
Ted: "ZILLIONS...ZILLIONS of years. Yes, that'll fix it."

Now, the human cell has been found to be far more complex than an airplane, and has also been found to be irreducibly complex - that is, they require the existence of numerous complex components, each essential for function, but each function being useless on its own without the other functions. So they would have all had to have developed just right, all at the same time.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 5:08pm
Geoff, I wish you would understand that atheism is simply 'a lack of belief in a god or gods' and accepting a scientific fact does not require faith. If you can't get that basic concept, I don't think the conversation is worth continuing.

Also, do you realize how thoroughly debunked the idea of 'irreducible complexity' is? There's a reason why scientists have not accepted this absurd notion - there is no evidence to support it, and it's only another thing imagined by creationists to accommodate for their God. I'm seriously getting the impression that you do not understand what the theory of evolution actually states. You're creating a straw man, and then using that straw man to make way for an argument from ignorance.

Can you provide any peer-reviewed journals from reputable sources that actually confirm what you're saying?
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

Geoff, I wish you would understand that atheism is simply 'a lack of
belief in a god or gods' and accepting a scientific fact does not
require faith. If you can't get that basic concept, I don't think the
conversation is worth continuing.Also, do you realize how
thoroughly debunked the idea of 'irreducible complexity' is? There's a
reason why scientists have not accepted this absurd notion - there is no
evidence to support it, and it's only another thing imagined by
creationists to accommodate for their God. I'm seriously getting the impression that you do not understand what the theory of evolution actually states. You're creating a straw man, and then using that straw man to make way for an argument from ignorance.Can you provide any peer-reviewed journals from reputable sources that actually confirm what you're saying?

How is "irreducible complexity" debunked? Do any of the functions of a cell have meaning without the ability to reproduce itself? I am a computer programmer, so let me speak to what I know - consider a computer virus. I could write one that does nothing but reproduce itself with a few lines of code. None of these lines of code would be a computer virus without the others, and if I did not have all of them the virus would not reproduce itself, and would thus, for lack of a better term, die out. Each line of characters contains a certain number of characters which would mean nothing without the others, and must be in a precise order and must not contain any extra characters or the virus will not compile. Add to this the fact that I am creating this computer virus using code that is based on other frameworks written by other programmers, and the virus will only work in certain operating systems (which are written by many programmers and used many thousands of lines of code) and the probability that the virus would just randomly pop into existence becomes quite small.
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 6:24pm
Once more,

Originally posted by Skwid Skwid wrote:

J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 6:27pm
Geoff, a computer virus analogy is not evidence in favor of irreducible complexity. That's something that requires actual proof. Do you have a peer-reviewed published work that I could look at to prove this position? Otherwise, we're at a stalemate and the conversation is not worth continuing.

Furthermore, even if I were to grant you irreducible complexity, what difference does that make? Disproving evolution does not add an ounce of credibility to god claims. The only rational position that a person could possibly reach if evolution were proven false is that "we don't know".

In the meantime, I recommend reading this: http://www.millerandlevine.com/km/evol/design2/article.html
Doomster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 7:21pm
Alright guys can we settle down? I just started this thread awhile ago to express opinions on this subject, not spark an argument. Please.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2012 at 7:33pm
Sorry, Joseph. I have a tendency to get a little fired up on this sort of topic. Embarrassed

If Geoff wishes to continue the conversation, I'd be glad to move it over to private message, although I don't think we'll reach an agreement anytime soon. No hard feelings. Beer
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic