Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RIP Chuck Schuldiner

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RIP Chuck Schuldiner
    Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 11:48am
10 years ago today.

I usually don't do this type of thing but he was more than someone from a band I liked, and even more than an influential and talented musician, but an influence on me as a person.
Self described as a "lover of life" and animals, and hated metal musicians that gave em all a bad rep (and boy are there many!) Also has made songs speaking out against  "hard" drug use and abortion. Whether or not you agree, and please don't even start on it, many people would be surprised to hear such sentiments from the guy who helped create death metal.

At the time I was getting into metal, including more extreme stuff, and it made me realize it is fine to just be me.
That I could go around wearing my jeans, plain shirt, clean shaven and normal hair and still love metal...that I didn't have to wear all black and have long hair and spikes, and could still love extreme music and not be a jerk.

Of course his band Death was a huge influence on metal, early on as the death metal band (which of course means thousands of bands today draw influence from) and later on an influence on technical metal, and bringing progressive elements into the extreme. Death is one of my favorite metal bands and has just created some awesome stuff.

Great musician and person.
R.I.P.
Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer and Testament. The real Big Four of thrash metal!

Listen to doom metal, worship Satan
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by The Angry Scotsman The Angry Scotsman wrote:

Self described as a "lover of life" and animals

Who can forget his kitten T-shirt?
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by The Angry Scotsman The Angry Scotsman wrote:

Great musician and person.
R.I.P.

aye
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 4:09pm
He's one of my biggest inspirations too. Simply one of my favorite musicians and a damn good human being too. RIP Chuck. Heart
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 4:15pm
Chuck was probably the main source that transformed me into a fan of more extreme forms of metal.  It's a shame I only learned of his works after he left us.  Leaving the likes of Human and Symbolic for us to listen to makes for one heck of a legacy. Headbanger
Voivod View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voivod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2011 at 8:44am
My friends and I are basically holding a party for him... In two weeks. What should the playlist be? Discography of death? Death and similar bands? It should go on all night so I require a rather large non repeating playlist.
buttsled View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buttsled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2011 at 1:08pm
I had the privilege of seeing Death twice. Chuck is indeed sorely missed.

As far as the playlist for the party, you could add some stuff that Chuck was a fan of, like Kiss, King Diamond, and I'm sure much other stuff.
Voivod View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Voivod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2011 at 1:26pm
Sounds good, I have some King Diamond.

The problem with Kiss is that no one attending likes them XD

Than again, it is for Chuck.
buttsled View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buttsled Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2011 at 2:21pm
Yeah, Kiss can be polarizing. Play Death's cover of 'God of Thunder' at the very least.
And if you read his wiki page you can see other stuff he was into like the obvious (Maiden, Watchtower, Slayer) to the not-so-obvious (Billy idol, jazz, Lush).
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2011 at 2:38pm
...and of course Judas Priest.
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2011 at 3:02pm
"Symbolic" is one of the greatest metal albums ever.
Woutjinho View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woutjinho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2011 at 3:42pm
RIP

I like some Death's first albums. Not a fan of the progressive stuff later on.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic