MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Most underrated metal drummer?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doomster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Most underrated metal drummer?
    Posted: 12 Dec 2011 at 10:26pm
For me, I would have to say Mikko Aspa from Fleshpress and Deathspell Omega. Despite his rather *ahem* strange personality, he is an incredible drummer. He's not too flashy but he's enough to be noticed in the music. The perfect sludge metal drummer.

What do you think???
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 1:55am
I don�t know if he is underrated but he is quite the fantastic organic drummer: Dale Crover (Melvins, Shrinebuilder)
Xaxaar View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaxaar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 11:37pm
Mikko Aspa is definitely an answer I could also get behind.  Thomas Hedlund (Cult of Luna) is also another drummer I think doesn't get enough praise for his work on Somewhere Along the Highway.  Then there's Sam Gutterman (Kayo Dot, maudlin of the Well), Ben Koller (Converge), Danny Heifetz (Mr. Bungle), Dirk Verbeuren (did awesome drumming on Deconstruction), and yeah...those are off the top of my head.  I really can't think of one that just seems so much more underrated than the rest.
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2011 at 7:32am
I'm not sure Mikko Aspa really played drums in DsO since there's so little information about the lineup.  But I can't deny that he did for the same reason.
Kingcrimsonprog View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingcrimsonprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2011 at 7:48am
Not sure about 'Most'
but I like:
Peter Stj�rnvind
Steve Felton (Skinny)
Matthew McDonough
Jimmy DeGrasso
Chris Pennie
Danny Schuler from Biohazard

My Blog: http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/
Vic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2011 at 3:48pm
I only liked DeGrasso in Suicidal Tendencies but he was great on that one.

I'd say Greg Hall from Sacred Reich. One of my favourite thrash drummers with character in his playing. 
Mikkey Dee isn't exactly underrated but I think he is one of the greats, especially for his work with King Diamond.

Nobody talks about Tad Leger of Toxik, great drummer. 

And as time goes by less and less people talk about Igor Cavalera's drumming. I think he was exceptional and very influential too, esp. his work on Chaos AD and Roots.

Let's see, who else...  Ι know. Bill Andrews. There, I said it. He had some respect at the time as Death's drummer but he was later compared to drummers like Steve Flynn or Reinert and that's just unfair! He had nothing on them technically of course but his old school simple and straight-forward drumming suited the two albums well. He delivered the necessary punch.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2011 at 3:55pm
Man I never liked Andrews. Neither his work with Death nor his playing on "From Beyond" by Massacre. I guess it�s a matter of aquired taste.Smile

Edited by UMUR - 14 Dec 2011 at 3:56pm
The Angry Scotsman View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2011 at 3:53pm
Hmmm tough for me to me think "underrated" and not "unheralded"
But I would say: Jason Rullo (Symph X) and Martin Lopez (Opeth)
Because I rarely, (almost never) hear anything said of them despite them playing (or have played) for fairly well known bands.

I made the metal drummer thread on PA and both had only a few votes, while the clear and distant winners were Portnoy and Danny Carey. I like em but I'm guessing the popularity of their bands helpedLOL

Oh! Sean Reinert...another one I can't say I've heard much praise given to and his work with Cynic, Death, and Aghora was brilliant.

Edited by The Angry Scotsman - 15 Dec 2011 at 3:54pm
Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer and Testament. The real Big Four of thrash metal!

Listen to doom metal, worship Satan
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2011 at 4:15pm
I'm going to have to think hard about this one.  I read drummer magazines on occasion, so it's a matter of thinking of some guys I never see mentioned in the like of Modern Drummer, Drum!, DrumHead, but even then most mags hype the same old guys (Peart, Bonham, Portnoy, Bruford, and many jazz greats) with only whispers and footnotes of other.

One that springs to mind would be a guy like Charlie Zeleny, who was is Behold.. the Arctopus.  I think he's become a session drummer now, so hopefully he can make some $$$$$.
Diogenes View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diogenes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2011 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by Vic Vic wrote:

I only liked DeGrasso in Suicidal Tendencies but he was great on that one.

I'd say Greg Hall from Sacred Reich. One of my favourite thrash drummers with character in his playing. 
Mikkey Dee isn't exactly underrated but I think he is one of the greats, especially for his work with King Diamond.

Nobody talks about Tad Leger of Toxik, great drummer. 

And as time goes by less and less people talk about Igor Cavalera's drumming. I think he was exceptional and very influential too, esp. his work on Chaos AD and Roots.

Let's see, who else...  Ι know. Bill Andrews. There, I said it. He had some respect at the time as Death's drummer but he was later compared to drummers like Steve Flynn or Reinert and that's just unfair! He had nothing on them technically of course but his old school simple and straight-forward drumming suited the two albums well. He delivered the necessary punch.

I think Igor kind of flamed out on the last couple of Sepultura albums he was on.  I wasn't that impressed with his drumming on Roorback or Dante XXI, or in Cavalera Conspiracy for that matter.  It's just lacking something.  I know that the songwriting is a lot different than on Beneath the Remains, but his newer work doesn't seem as precise or energetic.

By the way, Sep's new drummer is a beast.  I think he's only 20 years old or something like that.
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2011 at 7:37pm
Former Decapitated drummer Vitek had some pretty awesome moments in Winds of Creation.  Unfortunately, the rest of their stuff isn't really up to par even when he was still alive.

Seriously, he was like 17 when they recorded this album:

PabstRibbon View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PabstRibbon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2011 at 12:39pm
+1 for Jason Rullo
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2011 at 1:10pm
Vivi "Di Bap", who played drums in Impotators back in the day (now she's in a folk rock band I think). She was friggin' awesome.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2011 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by Wilytank Wilytank wrote:

Former Decapitated drummer Vitek had some pretty awesome moments in Winds of Creation.  Unfortunately, the rest of their stuff isn't really up to par even when he was still alive.

Seriously, he was like 17 when they recorded this album:

Yeah Witek was pretty cool and you�re right they were extremely young when they recorded "Winds of Creation". I think I mention the average age of the band in my review.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2011 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by PabstRibbon PabstRibbon wrote:

+1 for Jason Rullo

I�m absolutely not a fan of Jason Rullo. Always felt he was the weak link in Symphony X.
Doomster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doomster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2011 at 2:53pm
I agree Xaxaar, CoL drummer needs more recognition.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2011 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by PabstRibbon PabstRibbon wrote:

+1 for Jason Rullo

Approve

I also think the lack of recognition he gets, relative to Portnoy or Carey (or even Gene Hoglan) is not just band popularity but that he's more subdued.
Often Rullo just...plays what is necessary and is a really solid drummer but doesn't get the "virtuoso" (or technical) styles of others. Though he absolutely can.
Same with the bassist even though I've heard plenty admit, and I'd agree, talent wise he's up there with Myung.

This is about drummers though.
I also thought Lopez of Opeth had the same issues (and his drumming can also be quite subtle)
Not a top name in metal, plus less virtuosic styles = less praiseCry

Another favorite of mine that I never really heard much about was Vinnie Paul of Pantera.
On the surface it doesn't seem like much, but he has an awesome sense of groove and just lays down great beats. Also not like he can't thrash out.

MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2011 at 7:26pm
Ah! Someone mentioned Igor from Sep?

I'd agree with that. Early on he was pretty much pure blast beat/thrash energetic drumming...but later on proved he could be more, and I was quite struck with his drumming.

Semi related, I would not say he's under rated (probably over rated) but Dave Lombardo of Slayer proved me wrong later. I always thought he was pretty much a more extreme Lars...but on Christ Illusion and World Painted Blood I was wowed at how he can actually drum now! Nice to see the development.

Doomster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doomster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2011 at 7:36pm
I loved Lombardo's drumming on "Hell Awaits".
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2011 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by Doomster Doomster wrote:

I loved Lombardo's drumming on "Hell Awaits".

Not that I don't like him (he was also a classic of mine) but there wasn't much there. Until the latest 2, I was quite impressed.

Dont wanna talk too much about him here though because safe to say he is not underrated in the metal worldLOL

What about Nick Menza? Maybe it's only because I'm listening to Rust In Peace right nowLOL

Edited by The Angry Scotsman - 16 Dec 2011 at 7:43pm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic