MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Albums that you disliked a lot before getting into
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Albums that you disliked a lot before getting into

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingcrimsonprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Albums that you disliked a lot before getting into
    Posted: 04 Dec 2011 at 7:22am
The title should explain that one pretty much.
Have you ever heard an album and thought it was rubbish, only to later realize it was brilliant ?

...and vice versa ?

Ever got an album and fell in love with it out of excitement but on closer inspection it turned out that you hated it ?

For Example, I absolutely hated both Number Of The Beast and Reign In Blood for a good few years, with the exception of the songs 'Hallowed Be Thy Name,' and 'Post Mortem' and 'Raining Blood.' I used to think that they were really overhyped and just not as good as the albums that followed them like Piece Of Mind and South Of Heaven.

Another example would be Burn My Eyes, because I had got into Machine Head through Supercharger, Burn My Eyes just seemed weird to me.

Now I like them all.

Edited by Kingcrimsonprog - 04 Dec 2011 at 8:19am

My Blog: http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2011 at 8:58am
The new Nightwish sounded really awful to me on my first listen, having given if several more goes now I've started to get into it more. A case for me where the band breaking their own mould threw me off a lot. 

Also Iced Earth's self-titled debut. The vocals were an obstacle for me that prevented me from picking up the CD for years. Eventually got into it after finding the album in a second hand music/DVD/game shop earlier this year.
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2011 at 11:47am
Celtic Frost's "Into the Pandemonium" and To Mega Therion" took some time for me to get into... I just wasn't ready for that sort of music the first time I heard them. Now, I totally love them.
Doomster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doomster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2011 at 12:25pm
I initially hated Electric Wizard's "Dopethrone" but it is one of my favorite albums of all time now. Also, it took me awhile to get into Dream Theater.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2011 at 2:11pm
Blackjazz
goskoski View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goskoski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2011 at 2:27pm
Three albums I did not get into due to the complex song structures were Tears Laid in Earth by The 3rd and the Mortal, Steps by Sieges Even, and Dances of Death by Mekong Delta. Now, I like these albums. I also did not like Fates Warning's Perfect Symmetry in the beginning due to the high pitched vocals, but then after listen to plenty of King Diamond and Sanctuary I slowly began to like it. This album also to the same time helped me to like high-pitched vocals in general. I did not like Watchtower's Control and Resistance for the same reason at first, but not the high vocals don't disturb me anymore.

Helloween's Master of the Rings was a difficult album for me as well, because could not get into the vocals of Andi Deris, because I was so used to Michael Kiske although I already know Andi Deris vocals from Pink Cream 69 and liked it. Now, I just enjoy this album.

An album that I liked first, but don't care about anymore is "...the night of Halloween" by Wasted.

Edited by goskoski - 04 Dec 2011 at 2:33pm
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2011 at 3:44pm
I don't know about specific albums, but Voivod took me a while to get into.  I heard them when I was 17-18, didn't dig it, but now I do.  Initially, I was only familiar with their self-titled album and a bit of War and Pain.  I remember always liking there Astronomy Domine cover, but never knew what album it was from (or even that it was a cover).  A few years ago, I stumbled across "Nothingface" at a used CD store, tried them again and that album converted me.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2011 at 3:48pm
I used to hate Scarsick by Pain of Salvation (I even wrote a 2 star review of it for ProgArchives), but it has since grown into one of my all-time favorite albums. I guess Fear, Emptiness, Despair by Napalm Death (very difficult to approach, especially when you are (as I was at the time) unacquainted with deathgrind) and The Sound of Perseverance by Death are also good examples.

I'm sure there are many more, but I'm having a tough time thinking of all of them. Tongue
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Xaxaar View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaxaar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2011 at 10:47pm
Jane Doe is probably the biggest one, but there have been a lot that took me a while to get into.
filipecosteira View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote filipecosteira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 4:50pm
AETERNUS - ...And So The Night Became
ARCTURUS � La Masquerade Infernale
BETHLEHEM � Dictius Te Necare
DARK TRANQUILLITY � Projector
ENSLAVED � Eld
PRIMORDIAL � A Journey�s End
SATYRICON � Rebel Extravaganza

Diogenes View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diogenes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2011 at 6:14pm
The Days of Grays by Sonata Arctica.  I absolutely hated it when I first heard it, but then I listened to it again a year later and loved it.  
Woutjinho View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woutjinho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 6:19am
Ulcerate - Everything is Fire.
Hard to get in to because of the complex riffs and long songs for me. Now I think they're absolutely brilliant.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 2:22pm
A major one for me that I forgot about: Faith No More

My initial exposure to them was through the videos for "Epic" and "Falling To Pieces", which I saw on VH1 Classics back when I was in high school.  I thought that Patton's vocals were to whiny-sounding, so I wrote off the band at that point.  I laugh at how close-minded I was for the most part when I think back on who I was in high school ten years ago.  Now, Faith No More is one of my favorite bands. Smile

Edited by Stooge - 07 Dec 2011 at 2:22pm
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 2:29pm
My parents gave me that album for Christmas, and it clicked immediately! And I still love it - I'm not so interested in their other output, but that one is awesome.
Conor Fynes View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conor Fynes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2011 at 6:03pm
Believe it or not, I didn't see anything special about Opeth's Still Life until about a year or two after I bought it. I loved it to death for about a year, and now I don't care for it so much anymore; its treble production hurts my ears.
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 3:54am
Originally posted by Stooge Stooge wrote:

Faith No More is one of my favorite bands. Smile

Amen to that!
near_zero View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote near_zero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2011 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by Xaxaar Xaxaar wrote:

Jane Doe is probably the biggest one, but there have been a lot that took me a while to get into.

Same as. Miss Machine I hated and is now one of my favourite albums ever.
The Angry Scotsman View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2011 at 12:04am
Pain of Salvation.

Crazy thinking about how I love em nowEmbarrassed
I bought Remedy Lane and Entropia and didn't like em at all (especially Remedy Lane).
Some years later brushed em off and...I loved them!
Now one of my favorite bands!

vice versa....hm, I used to really like "Adrenaline" by Deftones and now, it's horrid sounding. Also used to have pretty much every slayer song but now I dislike some of their albums, Divine Intervention and God Hates Us All (typing it makes me sick!)

Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer and Testament. The real Big Four of thrash metal!

Listen to doom metal, worship Satan
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2011 at 12:49am
.. Album Cover
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/nespithe--review.aspx?id=254403
I didn�t use to enjoy this one at all. In fact I found it completely ridiculous. As you can read from my review things have changed.
Dominator View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dominator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2011 at 1:27pm
I didn't like Cowboys from Hell when I first heard it. I saw Pantera on their last tour with Slayer, and they kicked my ass!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic