Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Belittled albums that you actually like

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingcrimsonprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Belittled albums that you actually like
    Posted: 03 Dec 2011 at 7:59am
Often, I'll find myself wondering what is wrong with a certain album to cause such an outpouring of hate from so many people, because when I put it on, all I hear is a good record.

So, which albums do you like that the world hates ?

My personal choices:
Guns N Roses - Chinese Democracy  - Good album, history doesn't matter.
Metallica - St Anger                             - Great album, snare drum and solos don't matter.
Yes - Tales Of Topographic Oceans    - Good album, length doesn't matter.
Jethro Tull - A Passion Play                 - Great album, length doesn't matter.
Machine Head - Supercharger             - Too fun to let the style change matter
Black Sabbath - Technical Ecstasy      - Dirty Women is classic and 'You Wont Change Me' is their Stairway.
Fear Factory - Digimortal                     - Too fun to let the style change matter
Judas Priest - Turbo                             - Too fun to let the style change matter

Also Slayer's three most recent albums sometimes get too much jip for my tastes, I can't figure that one out at all.

Oh, and while Dynasty by Kiss isn't up in this list, the song 'Save Your Love' off of it is my favurite Kiss song.

My Blog: http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2011 at 8:36am
Kreator - Renewal (people absolutely hated this album when it came out, but I�ve always liked it and it�s probably my favorite Kreator album).
Pestilence - Spheres (this is another album everyone loved to hate back when it was released and honestly it took a few years to grow on me too. Time has given Spheres it�s rightful position among the most influential tech/prog death metal albums out there though)
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2011 at 8:46am
Metallica: St. Anger (they went back to playing aggressive and fast music and, in my book, much better than Load & ReLoad)
Metallica: Death Magnetic (the criticism it has received seems more like an instance of general Metallica bashing - for my money, it's their best album since Justice)
Judas Priest: Turbo (I like their experiments with guitar synths)
Judas Priest: Jugulator & Demolition (Tim Owens does a great job!)
Celtic Frost: Cold Lake (it's really not as miserable as people say)
Celtic Frost: Vanity/Nemesis (for some reason, lumped in with Cold Lake, although the style is completely different - I think it's a pretty good album)
Pestilence: Spheres (I loved it since the first time I heard it)
Atheist: Elements (ditto)
Carcass: Swansong (I quite like it although it's not their best album)

.... and loads more.

Edited by Time Signature - 03 Dec 2011 at 8:58am
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2011 at 9:07am
Originally posted by Time Signature Time Signature wrote:

Metallica: Death Magnetic (the criticism it has received seems more like an instance of general Metallica bashing - for my money, it's their best album since Justice)

Clap
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2011 at 11:02am
Dream Theater - albums six through ten.  In my opinion, they are superior to everything they released before.

Cryptopsy - Whisper Supremacy.  It's overshadowed by the two albums before it, but again I believe it's superior.  "Emaciate" blew me away the first time I listened to it.  Been hooked on it since.

Striborg - most of the discography.  Sin Nanna makes some pretty interesting music, but a lot of people find it annoying.  Sure, there are some songs that could have been shorter than they are, but there are also lots of awesome moments.

Funeral - Tristesse.  Influential funeral doom metal overshadowed by Skepticism, Thergothen, and Esoteric in the genre's early years.  It was also my key into understanding the genre as a whole.

Ahab - The Divinity of Oceans.  This album had a stronger initial hook on me than the debut even though most view the debut as superior.  "Yet Another Raft of the Medusa (Pollard's Weakness)" is one of my favorite songs of the funeral doom genres.

Sunn O))) - almost everything they made.  Let's face it; it's hard to hook yourself on this band, but even harder to unhook yourself.  If you've listened to the band, they're either a cult classic or an annoyance.

Dimmu Borgir - their later albums (specifically, Enthrone Darkness Triumphant, Spiritual Black Dimensions, the Stormblast re-recording, and Deathcult Armageddon).  Coming from Encyclopaedia Metallum, there are a lot of people who say that the band is now terrible but used to be great, particularly For All Tid (http://www.metal-archives.com/reviews/Dimmu_Borgir/For_All_Tid/336/).  I have to agree with AngelOfBreath and Empyreal's reviews; I actually think this album is their weakest.  I await the re-recording.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2011 at 11:06am
Dream Theater - Octavarium (People love to hate this one, but it's one of my favorite albums of all time)
Pain of Salvation - Scarsick (Most folks detest this one... I personally love the controversial lyrics and angsty raw metal style)
Metallica - Death Magnetic (While I don't like the few albums before it, I've never understood the hate this one generates)
Genesis - And Then There Were Three & Duke (Both of these albums are considered the start of Genesis' pop era, but they are both amazing albums IMO)
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2011 at 11:24am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Kreator - Renewal (people absolutely hated this album when it came out, but I�ve always liked it and it�s probably my favorite Kreator album)./QUOTE]

I wholeheartedly agree, the needle nearly went through the record I played it so much! Smile

[QUOTE=J-Man]Dream Theater - Octavarium (People love to hate this one, but it's one of my favorite albums of all time)
Pain of Salvation - Scarsick (Most folks detest this one... I personally love the controversial lyrics and angsty raw metal style)
Metallica - Death Magnetic (While I don't like the few albums before it, I've never understood the hate this one generates)
Genesis - And Then There Were Three & Duke (Both of these albums are considered the start of Genesis' pop era, but they are both amazing albums IMO)

Again I completely agree with DT and PoS (but as Jeff knows they were to write one two later that I do detest.)

I adore Genesis, although the day my sister walked into my bedroom proudly holding "Duke" a pop, disco and R 'n' B fanatic saying how good it was, was sadly the last time it saw my turntable.

Edited by Colt - 03 Dec 2011 at 11:25am
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2011 at 11:28am
Death Magnetic here as well, although I've never been that impressed with Hetfield's vocals on it. I'll say St. Anger as well, seeing as it introduced me to metal.

I'm not surely if this one is widely panned or anything, perhaps because it's not that widely known, but I'll also say Coronatus' Porta Obscura. I often see it down as the band's worst album, but I actually think it's their best. Female fronted gothic metal often gets panned by the wider metal crowd, but this album is actually pretty damn intense, not as commercial as the bigger acts like Lacuna Coil or Sirenia either. 

The stuff Iced Earth did with Tim Owens as well, always felt it was better than many have made out, especially The Glorious Burden. Along the same lines, Derrick Green era Sepultura as well. 

Nightwish's Dark Passion Play was also their best since Wishmaster. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Kingcrimsonprog View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingcrimsonprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2011 at 12:24pm

Carcass: Swansong

Oh, good shout.

My Blog: http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2011 at 12:44pm
I forgot to mention the more recent Cradle of Filth albums. I enjoy them quite a lot, even though a decent number of metalheads love to make fun of them.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2011 at 2:55pm
I really like Load and Reload by Metallica.  The Black Album was the wake up call to fans that they were making the transition to hard rock and leaving thrash behind, but Load/Re-load I think did the rock thing better with a darker, more stripped down sound.  Granted, I don't kid myself and know there is some weak stuff on there.

As for Death Magnetic getting hate, I think much of it comes from the mix being pretty horrible.  It's generally commended as a step in the right direction.  I really haven't listened to this album for more than maybe 5 times as I don't even own a copy.
Doomster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doomster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2011 at 3:39pm
To be honest I like Lulu. *Hides*
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2011 at 3:41pm
Originally posted by Wilytank Wilytank wrote:

Sunn O))) - almost everything they made.  Let's face it; it's hard to hook yourself on this band, but even harder to unhook yourself.  If you've listened to the band, they're either a cult classic or an annoyance.

This

I also am possibly the only person ever who thinks DT's debut is their best
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2011 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

This

You're probably right about that. LOL
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2011 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

I like them, too, and I really don't consider them pop albums at all.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2011 at 4:21pm

This

...Amen to thatBig smile
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2011 at 4:23pm

Yeah, aside from one or two tracks on each, I don't either.
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2011 at 4:24pm
Metallica - Load, Reload, S&M, Garage Inc. 
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2011 at 4:24pm
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

This

...Amen to thatBig smile

I actually dig that album quite a bit (the fact that it was released in 1989 also means it's one of the earlier full-blown prog metal albums), but the production is just so shitty that most of my enjoyment is diminished. Unhappy
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2011 at 4:26pm

I absolutely adore ...And Then There Were Three. It may be the beginning of the more pop oriented period of Genesis discography but it�s actually a very progressive album. I love the futuristic production, the musicianship is outstanding as ever and some of the songs are so well written they almost bring tears to my eyes. "Burning Rope" is my alltime favorite Genesis track. I like it so much I want it played at my funeral. Check out all those little clever time signature changes. Amazing!!!

Duke!!! ahh well I like some of it but I�ll probably never be a fan.

Edited by UMUR - 03 Dec 2011 at 4:29pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic