MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Albums that make you think: What happened!?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2011 at 8:28am
Originally posted by Kingcrimsonprog Kingcrimsonprog wrote:

Originally posted by LittleBig LittleBig wrote:

Kiss - Unmasked.

It is a very questionable album as far as I can hear.
At least with 'Elder you understand that they tried to ride the prog wave for money, but with Unmasked you have to wonder why all the songs were so uninteresting and lacking.

how can anyone ride the prog wave for money? I actually like The Elder, for me it's one of Kiss' best albums, it was one of the few times they tried something different, i respect that. I agree on Unmasked, it's one of their worst albums indeed.

My worst "what happened " album is got to be the last Queensryche album. What a mess of an album! One of my biggest disappointments from a band I love.

I don't know, it was popular at the time, they thought that doing something popular that wasn't their current sound might make them more money than just staying the same.

Obviously it didn't work. But you have to imagine that if there were no prog bands, Kiss wouldn't have come up with Music From The Elder on their own in a vacuum.

From what I read, the album confused people back than, especially the american audience. The album started to grow on people much later. They did not do it for money, it was Bob Ezrin's idea(from what I read). 
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2011 at 9:59am
I read somewhere about The Elder that they wanted it to be like their version of Tommy, so I guess they were expecting it to be successful.

Edited by Stooge - 04 Dec 2011 at 10:00am
Woutjinho View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woutjinho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 6:20am
I ask myself the question to a lot of old bands. Metallica - Black Album... What Happened?
Slayer - Divine Intervention... What Happened?
Kingcrimsonprog View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingcrimsonprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 7:49am
One I was thinking of is Dillenger Escape Plan.

Their Pucciatto era stuff is amazing, and I look back at the stuff before he joined and think... what was all THAT about ?

My Blog: http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/
Vic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 10:41am
Now this is a much easier one!

Special WTFs I will never forget:

No Prayer for the Dying? - BORING, it all went downhill from there. Fear of the Dark had the last three great songs by Maiden. (Sorry Maiden fans!)

Helloween - Pink Bubbles Go Ape. Mediocrity, boring mediocrity. But nothing prepared me for the great WTF IS THIs SHIT that was Chameleon

Megadeth - Cryptic Writings. WTF is this pop rock sound?? A couple of great songs but otherwise very tame, still quality work. Risk, however you cut it though, is UTTER SHIT. They never really got back to the quality of Youthanasia. Endgame was a good album though.

Cold Lake. I think it's a very bad album personally. :)

Black Album. Well, it kinda made me mad that everyone around suddenly discovered them (I was at school at the time, not my most mature time!) when previously they would talk about my Metallica shirts as if they belonged to savages. Great album but musically I knew the thrash was gone for good. Load managed to be an even bigger WTF though. And this time, I ran out of excuses. It's a good album but there is absolutely no excuse for the aesthetics and the enforced metal bashing that they did at the time. Those were the grand WTF for me.

Flotsam and Jetsam - When the Storm Comes Down. I love the previous two. LOVE them to the point you wont believe. So this album with the terribly shitty cover and the lack of awesome Flotsam logo was a big WTF because there were no great songs. Apart from two and one of those is really memorable for its amazing solo section (October Thorns, the other great song is of course Suffer the Masses). Cuatro was even worse, so that's when I gave up. on them.

...will get back on this. Tons more.
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2011 at 2:23pm
Oh!  How about the 2011 version of Gorgoroth's Under the Sign of Hell?
Warthur View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer
Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 10:11am

Kiss - Unmasked.

It is a very questionable album as far as I can hear.
At least with 'Elder you understand that they tried to ride the prog wave for money, but with Unmasked you have to wonder why all the songs were so uninteresting and lacking.
The thing with the Elder is that if they were trying to "ride the prog wave", they were about seven years or so too late...
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by Vic Vic wrote:

No Prayer for the Dying? - BORING, it all went downhill from there. Fear of the Dark had the last three great songs by Maiden. (Sorry Maiden fans!)

Interestingly, I did not quite have that feeling with "No Prayer for the Dying", but I was kind of disappointed with "Fear of the Dark", which I considers the least interesting Dickinson-fronted Maiden-album. "Brave New World", on the other hand, was a positive WTF happened experience. After "Virtual XI", I'd given up on Maiden ever releasing an album that I'd like again (which is painful when it's your favorite band of all time) - so "Brave New World", which I think is brilliant, took me completely by surprise.

Quote Black Album. Well, it kinda made me mad that everyone around suddenly discovered them (I was at school at the time, not my most mature time!) when previously they would talk about my Metallica shirts as if they belonged to savages. Great album but musically I knew the thrash was gone for good. Load managed to be an even bigger WTF though. And this time, I ran out of excuses. It's a good album but there is absolutely no excuse for the aesthetics and the enforced metal bashing that they did at the time. Those were the grand WTF for me.

I think it's a good album, but I was also disappointed with it when it came out. I liked a lot of the songs (still do), but the absence of thrash metal was at the same time a huge disappointment. And "Load" and "ReLoad", now those I do not like at all. I actually won "Load" in a competition once.... the only time I was dissatisfied with actually winning something.
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by Time Signature Time Signature wrote:

Interestingly, I did not quite have that feeling with "No Prayer for the Dying", but I was kind of disappointed with "Fear of the Dark", which I considers the least interesting Dickinson-fronted Maiden-album. "Brave New World", on the other hand, was a positive WTF happened experience. After "Virtual XI", I'd given up on Maiden ever releasing an album that I'd like again (which is painful when it's your favorite band of all time) - so "Brave New World", which I think is brilliant, took me completely by surprise.

I'm with you 100% on this one. 
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Kingcrimsonprog View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingcrimsonprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 5:03am
I think the albums from Brave New World onwards are better than the Blaze Era, The D'ianno Era, and a few of the classic Bruce Era stuff.

The only problem is that they are so long and dense each takes about two years to absorb.

My Blog: http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/
Vic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 7:48am
I can get digging the BNW onwards albums. For me Brave New World and Dance of Death are the best and I would characterize them as decent with great moments. I can even get someone ranking them higher than the DiAnno albums (I wouldn't) because those are a slightly different animal, so the Bruce factor could give them the edge.

There is no way in hell I would ever concede that they are better than the classic Bruce stuff (Number to Seventh). That's just crazy talk man! Tongue
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 9:49am
I like Maiden, but less so now than I did back in high school.  For some reason, I've never been interested in acquiring new Maiden albums.  The last one I bought was Dance of Death, and it really didn't do anything from me.  I have heard songs since then, but it's been the same way.
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 10:00am
I find the later day Maiden albums (except Brave New World) quite boring these days. Their long songs are tiring, if they try to be progressive or something, they're failing miserably at it IMO.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 10:05am
I enjoyed many of the tracks on Brave New World, though I only had exposure of them through the Rock In Rio concert (plus the Out of the Silent Plant vid on the Vision of the Beast DVD).  I'm sure one day I'll make Brave New World one of those impulse purchases when I see it at the right time for the right price. Smile
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2012 at 4:31am

Metallica's St. Anger reminded me of this when I 1st heard the songs . . .

Maybe not vocally but the music, but - Metallica!. . . Entombed did it already!

Metallica's "None more black" album is the one that did it for me, even though I like maybe 3 songs (I am
done with "Enter . . ." you know what), I could see it was an end of an era and the newer Thrash Bands
would take over the throne. But Metallica will always be the ones who are the main root to the Tree.
Great album "Sonically", I just wish it was more like this one and "Of Wolf and Man". ...And Justice, Ulrich
was really progressing as a Drummer, with other songs on Black, he seemed to be regressing Confused.

LOL I guess many will say Entombed lost their way after their 2nd album as well.  But I will always
remember that Entombed introduced me to "down-tuning" and that HEAVY Guitar tone on "Left Hand
Path" (and Obituary's Double Bass), Death Metal would evolve from here . . .

Bands like this basically stuck to the fast aggression, but Entombed made it "progress".

As a Queensryche fan (from the 1st EP release) who has been disappointed for decades now, I have to
say I liked "Hear in the Now Frontier" Embarrassed (and remember, DeGarmo is on it, and on "Tribe"). To me
"Promised Land" was the last great QR album, but "Hear..." was just another change, yet they chose to
keep that "Grunge" sound, even when Grunge was over a few years before.  Which is strange seeing they
put Seattle on the map after Heart (and before The Accused).

A touch of the "Beatles" on this one.  I like DeGarmo's "Slide" and Guitar Tone on the album.

DeGarmo also does this nice little ballad . . .

I like Maiden's "No Prayer for the Dying" . . .

I need to start listening to this album again, its more "Progressive" than I remembered.

. . . and Flots "When the Storm Comes Down" . . .
Funny, the "Snare" sounds like Ulrich's on St. Anger Tongue. I think Flots is way underrated.

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 09 Jun 2012 at 3:38pm
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
LittleBig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
Banned

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LittleBig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2012 at 11:47am
Originally posted by MAVIIIVAM MAVIIIVAM wrote:

As a Queensryche fan who has been disappointed for decades now, I have to say I liked "Hear in the Now
Frontier" Embarrassed (and remember, DeGarmo is on it, and on "Tribe"). To me "Promised Land" was the last great QR album, but "Hear..." was just another change, yet they chose to keep that "Grunge" sound, even when Grunge
was over a few years before.  Which is strange seeing they put Seattle on the map after Heart (and before The Accused).

Queensryche really messed it up big time with their last album Dedicated to Chaos, one of the worst and uninspired albums, from a band I personally love. 
CCVP View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCVP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2012 at 9:45pm
Originally posted by LittleBig LittleBig wrote:

Originally posted by MAVIIIVAM MAVIIIVAM wrote:

As a Queensryche fan who has been disappointed for decades now, I have to say I liked "Hear in the Now
Frontier"  (and remember, DeGarmo is on it, and on "Tribe"). To me "Promised Land" was the last great QR album, but "Hear..." was just another change, yet they chose to keep that "Grunge" sound, even when Grunge
was over a few years before.  Which is strange seeing they put Seattle on the map after Heart (and before The Accused).

Queensryche really messed it up big time with their last album Dedicated to Chaos, one of the worst and uninspired albums, from a band I personally love. 

True, even though I only like them up until their 1994 opus.

Some cases, IMO:

Pain of Salvation since Scarsick (even though I enjoy Scarsick, the album is a huge quality drop);
Sepultura's Roots (and everything else they've done since);
Nevermore's latest;
Andromeda's Immunity Zone, even though the epic is very good;
Evergrey every albums since Monday Morning Apocalypse;
Pestilence's newest albums;
Mastodon's latest;
Almost every Iron Maiden album after 7th Son;
Voivoid after Nothingface;
Liquid Tension Experiment's posthumous album, even though it was mostly b-sides.
Slopshire Slasher View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slopshire Slasher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2012 at 11:32am
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2012 at 2:05pm
Vobiscum View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vobiscum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2012 at 10:26pm
Nightwish - Century Child
Epica - Consign to Oblivion
Cannibal Corpse - Evisceration Plague
Within Temptation - The Silent Force
Lacuna Coil - Dark Adrenaline
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic