MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements >Welcome newbies!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hola

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2010 at 2:43pm
Iona are great!
"Journey Into Morn" so-far is still my Fave!  I have not heard their last 2 albums though, hard to get this
side of the Pond (I dont mail order) and I'm on their Newsletter. But lets keep it Metal here Wink . . .
Kerry Livgren of Kansas has said in his Book "Seeds of Change" that basically (paraphrasing) "Many
Christian Bands follow the same formula, instead of creating something anew".  There have been alot
of Bands of this ilk trying to find new ways spiritually and musically to inspire, I may not like it all myself
but in the Prog Rock/Metal and Heavy Metal musics, some interesting stuff has come out in the last
few years.  Kings X is one that stands out, though they have always said they are not a per-say
"Christian Band" have asked every question imaginable through their music, like me, not afraid to
"Ask".  And they do it with such Groove and awesome musicianship within a Trio, with many different
styles. 
By the way, you may want to check out Trouble, they get pretty Spiritual (with and without the"Herb" LOL)
but a Band that started as a Doom Band, gradually into a Rock 'n Heavy Metal Band (really awesome
solos).  And Lead Guitarist Bruce Franklin of Trouble and Doug Pinnick, Bassist and Singer for Kings X
put together a project called Supershine, same style as later Trouble but with Dougs great voice!

I just heard the latest "Demon Hunter", I have not gotten into their past CD's because they were a bit too
"Core" and not enough of that Metal aggression, but I heard 3 cuts at a listening station at my favorite
Store -they sound heavier, more musical, and I hope to buy it soon (but maybe I'll take another listen to
be sure its a solid album).
I'm into various Metal as well, but its better when I can identify with the lyrics, spiritual or secular, as long
as they have something to say and can do it profoundly Big smile.

Take care!

Edited by MAVIIIVAM - 18 Apr 2010 at 2:54pm
"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
Citizen Erased View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Erased Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2010 at 1:14pm
Indeed.

I personally don't think "Christian" is a genre (maybe worship music is). We don't call it atheist metal so why would we call it religious? Lyrics are lyrics, they don't generally affect the style of music.

Ta, I'll check some of them bands out.
MAVIIIVAM View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MAVIIIVAM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2010 at 2:18pm
Ha!
Isnt that funny, when folks say about "Christian Metal" (Death, Thrash etc.), "...isnt that an oxymoron?" LOL
That line has been used soo much its like people who DONT listen to Metal "ALL that music is about KILL
your Mamma kill your daddy!"
Ermm
No one wants to be "Preached to" but no one has a problem with Athiestic or Satanic points of view (supposedly the Devil is cooler Evil Smile yet look at all the Evil in the World, in your own neighborhoods. Many will say Wars (etc.) are influenced by Religion, I say its because of MAN interpiting Religion for their own twisted urges and imposing beliefs for power, and hide behind the shroud of a Diety- "Man makes mistakes of God") . . . bastages.
Some aggressive Music with a positive point of you at times can be refreshing and a "break" from the dark.

Side note: Did you know that the Math Metal/Tech-Thrashers Athiest also have a side project called
"Agnostic"? LOL I'd like to hear that . . .

"If you're happy to be an Ant in the Sand Box, you're welcome to it!" -Forbidden

For Progressive Metal and Prog Rock, come visit, request songs and explore at PrOgulus.com
Citizen Erased View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Erased Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2010 at 12:43pm
How ironic LOL
FusionKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FusionKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2010 at 12:36pm
Hello fellow Scotsman! I'm actually not specifically a metalhead either, just a serious rock fan. I like prog, metal, grunge, AOR, psychedelia, you name it. It's good to be diverse. Anyhow, you said you are a christian, in which case, may I ask if you're into Stryper at all? Personally, I'm an atheist but regardless, I think they're pretty good...(I like my Glam stuff, you see!) Oh, and by the way, you shouldn't sweat about people taking the piss with us lot 'cause only nice folk are allowed on this site! Big smile
Enjoy MMA dude. Rawks
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic