Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Football Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2011 at 3:23am

..and yes play just carried on, no girlie fights or play acting.

...and yes shortly after Bremner got up and played on.

...and yes there were far less injuries than today even with the physical side that existed back then.

If you can find it get a copy of the Leeds v Chelsea FA Cup Final Replay 1970.

REAL football. Not for the faint hearted but also some of the silkiest skills you will ever witness.

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2011 at 3:44am
Man that was a kung fu kick. I�d say that�s a bit too dangerous for my entertainment. If one of our players had been treated like that, we would have shouted w**ker and other more nasty things at the kung fu kicker the rest of the game.

I don�t like acting and referees giving out freekicks for minor things, but there is a line you shouldn�t cross and I�d say kung fu kicks in head hight is crossing that line. That can be potentially dangerous.

The thing with less injuries in the old days, was probably also because the game moved much slower. At least that�s the impression I get from watching games from the 70s and 80s for that matter.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2011 at 3:47am
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Is anyone of you listening to The Guardian's Football Weekly podcast? Brilliant stuff.

BTW, the extreme physicality is one of the things I dislike most about modern football.

I might soon be going to the first game since I moved to France, the PSG - Athletic Bilbao game in the Europa League. If we like the atmosphere and the overall experience we might be going on a regular basis. The ticket prices are a bit steep for me though.

Milan - Barca was brilliant the other day. I also enjoyed Napoli - Man City a lot.

Yeah and PSG should be worth watching again after so many years not being in the top 3 in France.

I watched most of Milan - Barca but watched Arsenal - Dortmund too, while watching some other programme being half asleep with fever, but I got a good impression of the gameSmile.
Woutjinho View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woutjinho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2011 at 4:42am
Originally posted by Colt Colt wrote:

..and yes play just carried on, no girlie fights or play acting.
...and yes shortly after Bremner got up and played on.
...and yes there were far less injuries than today even with the physical side that existed back then.
If you can find it get a copy of the Leeds v Chelsea FA Cup Final Replay 1970.
REAL football. Not for the faint hearted but also some of the silkiest skills you will ever witness.
Though, he was laying down the whole time. All he needed was a wet sponge to get up... That's just trying to get a free kick or a penalty in this case.  
This guy was badass. EK 2000, against Czech Republic he had a head injury. He needed 8 stitches right there and he just got back on the field immediatly.
Jaap Stam... Video doesn't work...

Edited by Woutjinho - 25 Nov 2011 at 4:44am
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2011 at 4:47am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Man that was a kung fu kick. I�d say that�s a bit too dangerous for my entertainment. If one of our players had been treated like that, we would have shouted w**ker and other more nasty things at the kung fu kicker the rest of the game.

I don�t like acting and referees giving out freekicks for minor things, but there is a line you shouldn�t cross and I�d say kung fu kicks in head hight is crossing that line. That can be potentially dangerous.

Yeah it was way out of line, just making a point.

The thing with less injuries in the old days, was probably also because the game moved much slower. At least that�s the impression I get from watching games from the 70s and 80s for that matter.

Yeah I agree, though the pitches were in an awful state. I'll find a vid and post one shortly.
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2011 at 4:48am
Originally posted by Woutjinho Woutjinho wrote:

All he needed was a wet sponge to get up...

LOL

Like it! Smile

Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2011 at 4:50am

Beach soccer anyone?

The crazy thing is, most games in England were played in these conditions over the winter.

Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2011 at 4:51am
Originally posted by Woutjinho Woutjinho wrote:

Jaap Stam... Video doesn't work...

Make sure you use the long link from You Tube and use the insert movie icon in the new post box
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2011 at 5:17am

Beach soccer anyone?

The crazy thing is, most games in England were played in these conditions over the winter.

Now that�s great fun. Incredible that they actually play some pretty good technical football in that clip. With a pitch like that any modern coach would be cursing and swearing that it was because of the condition of the pitch that his team lostLOL
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2011 at 5:22am

Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

BTW, the extreme physicality is one of the things I dislike most about modern football.

Shocked LOL

Are you winding me up Alex??

Not at all, just providing conversation. :) By physicality I am referring to the force put into rule-abiding contacts, especially tackles and shoulder-to-shoulder runs. I am often watching videos of football played twenty or more years ago and the thing that strucks me more is how the creative player can dribble and twist around the opponents freely, in a manner that today would not be possible anymore. Just look at these videos for example:

This stuff isn't possible anymore; most such encounters end with the player with the ball being smashed into and brought down to the ground or at least put off balance enough to lose the ball. Today this is seen as a perfectly normal aspect of the game basics, it's part of the "professional" approach.

Here are some typical examples:

Now we idolize Messi for his outstanding skill and we rate him as probably the best footballer ever, but in reality we simply became unaccustumed with such playing style (the dribbling no.10) as it slowly disappeared under the pressure of extreme physicality. But back in the day there were plenty of players whose style was just like that.

In fairness though, Messi probably is the most technically gifted ever, considering he manages to dribble like he does in our days... And the same applies to Ronaldinho.

It's no wonder that the only game style from our days fully based on technicality, that of Spain and Barcelona, is not one in which technicality is employed in taking on the adversary in a one-on-one with the ball, like in the old days, but in releasing the ball in short and fast passes before the opponent can reach you in order to close you down (the so-called tiki-taka):

---

Now, from what you said and from the video you posted, the physicality you mentioned is a different one, one which was specific to the "romantic" era. This wasn't about ruthlessly closing down the opponent as tough as possible, but it was about (sorry if the words offend) extreme recklessness and even pure violence (kicking and hitting). When you couldn't do anything of a sporting nature against the opponent, you'd resort to that. Here's a classic example:

And the classic target of the romantic era:

His physical resilience to all this was just amazing. Probably the most assaulted football player ever. One can even split in categories the most used violent procedures against him, now all disappeared from the game: standing in front of him for impact, hugging and bringing him down, hitting his legs, making him trip from behind.

Maradona didn't escape it either:

Some variations from Maradona's time are the punch in the face and the scissor-tackle.

But this is probably the "best" moment of violence on the football field:

Personally I consider all this stuff barbaric and completely opposed to the idea of sportsmanship. Fortunately I started watching football in the mid '90s, when this phenomenen had just (finally) disappeared from football.

I listen regularly to the BBC 5 live daily football podcast and I can't stop noticing how whenever players from back then are asked about the positive changes in the game, what they stress is always:
- quality pitches
- the more dynamic game (especially because of the liberalization of the offside rule and of the banning of the backwards pass to the goalkeeper), and
- the ruling out of violence from the game (especially gratuitous violence and the tackle from behind).
All of them seem pretty happy with the evolution, and so am I.

---

Phew! Glad I got that off my chest! LOL Embarrassed

---

Oh, and the other thing that I dislike (actually this annoys me as hell) is complaining and protesting to the referee. Angry

Edited by harmonium.ro - 25 Nov 2011 at 5:25am
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2011 at 5:28am

Beach soccer anyone?

And the mud variation:

Tongue
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2011 at 12:32pm

Sorry Jonas. :(

Good draw, nevertheless.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2011 at 3:09am
Thumbs Down that sucks!!!
The Angry Scotsman View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2011 at 4:10pm
(obligatory American responseTongue)

That guy running the ball is 90 kilos and that guy he is dragging by his neck weighs around 150!

The play that won my team the championship back in 2008Big smile

I kid! Ironically could never get into football, watching but it is damn fun to play!
And rough...god my shins and ankles are beat up to hell and my feet hurt.
Was playing with some kids at school and my roommate accidentally got a kick to head and said the whole day all his teeth were loose. Was afraid to eat or do anything until they settled back into placeShocked

Edited by The Angry Scotsman - 12 Dec 2011 at 4:19pm
Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer and Testament. The real Big Four of thrash metal!

Listen to doom metal, worship Satan
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 1:53am
Ah! (obligatory European response) the game that gets so incredibly exciting ..........

....and then everyone takes a break for ten minutes!

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!    Tongue
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 2:01am
...and don�t remember to buy a hamburger, some fries and a 1 gallon cokeSmile.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 2:11am
^Sorry for the generalization, but like Steve I find American football incredibly boring.
The Angry Scotsman View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 11:01am
I know I know I couldn't resist, it just has to be done.

Hey hey, it was all good until now. Don't be like Daniel Gildenlow, keep the lazy fat bastard stereotypes away please!

Like I said it is fun to play and I do hate when people laugh it off as "sissy" and all that, those dudes can pretty messed up. It's also fast paced and frenetic for sure.

Oh, and running around is fun, just some of us have evolved to use our handsTongue

Edited by The Angry Scotsman - 13 Dec 2011 at 11:05am
Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer and Testament. The real Big Four of thrash metal!

Listen to doom metal, worship Satan
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 11:37am
The only time I ever watch soccer (is that a bad word?? LOL) is the occasional match during the World Cup.  Since it is one of the least expensive sports to play, several of my classmates in elementary school would play it (or baseball) instead of the more popular and much more expensive hockey.  I grew up in a single income home, so my parents could not put me in any sports leagues, though I was on my school's volleyball team for 2 years (an even cheaper sport LOL).

I do have lots of memories playing football (that wasn't so hard!) during many recesses at school, even during the winter.  That made for some fun full-contact into mounds of snow!  I remember when my twin brother and I would play, we'd often be put on defense while the "better" players would cherry-pick around the opposing net.  We'd both play rather physically, taking joy in making aggressive slide tackles.  I remember one kid who was the self-appointed king of the sport (he did play in organized leagues) wouldn't shut up with his complaining about any contact at all.  He was around our size (albeit scrawnier), so he was always fun to play against. 
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2011 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by The Angry Scotsman The Angry Scotsman wrote:

I know I know I couldn't resist, it just has to be done.

Hey hey, it was all good until now. Don't be like Daniel Gildenlow, keep the lazy fat bastard stereotypes away please!

Like I said it is fun to play and I do hate when people laugh it off as "sissy" and all that, those dudes can pretty messed up. It's also fast paced and frenetic for sure.

Oh, and running around is fun, just some of us have evolved to use our handsTongue

LOLClown
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic