Forum Home Forum Home >Topics not related to music >General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Football Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Football Thread
    Posted: 17 Nov 2011 at 2:02pm
Well I thought we needed a thread to discuss European style football/soccer (No American football. Please create your own threadSmile). I guess it�ll be me and Chris talking to ourselves (or me talking to myself) for a while, but I hope when more people join, that we can have a talk about games, results and tournaments.
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 3:20am
I'm a hammer. I follow West Ham in the English League.

My interest in football has waned somewhat over the last few years.

Apologies to my dear European friends but since the governance of the game has been taken over it has ended up as a non-contact sport and a game for girls.

As a youngster I played to a reasonable standard before a knee injury curtailed my career. I came across highly skilled players that could handle the physicality and many would say they used their skills to outwit the hard nuts. It was a game for men. Just watch a game that included the likes of Law and Best etc

Now, every game is played the same way and bores me to tears. I prefer to watch second and third tier games and local matches. I never watch the premier league or internationals anymore.

*steps down from soap box* LOL

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 4:01am

Well following The Hammers don�t leave you many chances to watch Premier League at the moment now does it?Wink

Edited by UMUR - 30 Dec 2011 at 1:51am
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 4:02am
As my signature reveals I follow Lyngby Boldklub. I�m a pretty enthusiastic follower of the
club and purchase season card every season and have done so for the last 10 years. I�ve only
watched football for 10 years though. As a child and as a teenager I never enjoyed the sport.
I spend all my time in a rehearsal room trying to be a rock star. I didn�t have time to watch
football. What a waste of time was how I felt about it back then. But a friend of mine gave
me free tickets for a whole season and I was quickly bitten by a mad football and since
Lyngby Boldklub is my local club (the stadium is situated about 2 - 2.5 kilometers from where
I live, this is the club I feel I belong to.

The club was founded in 1921 and has won two Danish championships (1983 og 1992), three cup
titles (1984, 1985 og 1990) and quite a few silver and bronze placements. Unfortunately the
club went bankrupt in 2001 and was relegated three leagues as punishment after having been in
the best league in Denmark from 1980 to 2001. An incredibly hard blow. It only took 5 years
before we entered the best league in Denmark again. unfortunately time and lack of funds has
made us an elevator team which means relegation one year and promotion the next. The clubs
biggest problem is the lack of a decent stadium. It�s not for fun the supporter of the club
call Lyngby Stadium "The Ruin".

The club is known for it�s great talent work and have produced several national team players
throughout the years. Including Henrik "Store" Larsen who was the top scorer in the 1992
European Champianship that Denmark won.

Lyngby Boldklub is known for playing offensive attacking football which means that we�ve
never given much of a damn about the defensive part of the game. The motto has always been "We don�t care how many goals the other team scores, as long was we score one more than they do".
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 4:15am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Well following The Hammers don�t leave you much chances to watch Premier League at the moment now does it?Wink

Tongue

I purposely used "follow" and not "fan" because I look for their results but thats about it now.

There are 3-4 premiership games live on TV every week here to watch if I was interested.

It tends to be a case of  who can fool the referee wins the game. Can't stand cheats, another big reason why I can't watch it ..and don't get me started on the shirt pulling and holding in the box at set pieces, that eminated from Italy.

It was once such a beautiful game Cry

I watch and enjoy Rugby now, the game where men now play Wink

Never tell I was English could you LOL

Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 4:20am

Lyngby Boldklub is known for playing offensive attacking football which means that we�ve
never given much of a damn about the defensive part of the game. The motto has always been "We don�t care how many goals the other team scores, as long was we score one more than they do".

That might be why they get relegated so much, perhaps they can't score more than the opposition Tongue

Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 4:25am
Its good to see you support your local team (through thick and thin) Clap

In this country we are a nation of glory hunters, most football supporters follow one of the top sides but live hundreds of miles away from the club.

Not only that but players who represent their country are cheered whilst playing for England then jeered by the same supporters when opposing their club - crazy! Confused

...and then there is Blatter and Platini! Angry
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 4:58am
LOLLOL
Originally posted by Colt Colt wrote:

That might be why they get relegated so much, perhaps they can't score more than the opposition Tongue

Yeah unfortunately it�s been that way for the last 4 or 5 yearsLOL, but hey all clubs have up and down periods. Even though we played in lower leagues the times when we were promoted it�s something I�ll never forget. That feeling is fantastic. Let�s just forget the relegations. Horrible, horrible heart tearing timesDead. This year we are unfortunately heading towards another relegation, but we might still save our asses if those over payed sissies on the field deliver like menBig smile.
Woutjinho View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woutjinho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 7:52am
I'm only interested in european and world leagues.

Holland - Germany last week for example. Though, I wanted The Netherlands to win, but obviously Germany was way better. They won 3-0, they've earned it. I think Holland was thinking too easily because we were in the finals last world league... This should've taken them down to earth.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2011 at 4:49pm
Yeah The European Championship is coming up this summer, so it�s of course also perfectly allright and encouraged to talk about National teams. I saw Alex had posted the 4 seating groups over at PA. Here they are:

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2011 at 4:52pm
I know Poland and Ukraine are the hosts but I still think it�s a bit weird to see them in Pot 1, judged on their results and qualities on the pitch. I hope Denmark will play one of those two teams instead of Spain or The Netherlands.

Horror group for Denmark would be: Spain, Germany, Portugal, Denmark.Unhappy

Edited by UMUR - 19 Nov 2011 at 4:52pm
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2011 at 5:07pm
but what if you pull Sweden out of the hatt, then i would not vissit Stockholm or Copenagen those days, the citys will catch fire, but i also bet Denmark vs Germany also have it's share of prestige
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2011 at 5:23pm
We�d love to play Sweden. It�ll be a close game with lots of intensity. This is the game you don�t want to lose. Germany eahh it�s not the same, but beating them would of course be a major scalp.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2011 at 5:28pm
To tell you the truth I�m much more of a Club football man than a National Team ditto. I follow the National Team when I have time but I never miss a match with my Club Team.

How did Rosenborg do this year Chis. I haven�t really payed much attention to the Norwegion league this year. Molde ended up Champions right?
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2011 at 6:49pm
they have had a pretty sucky season this year, trying to establish a new team and have like not lived ip to their goals at all so new energy is needed
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Nov 2011 at 1:22pm
Damn it!!! My team just played 2-2 home against HB K�ge. An absolutely terrible game from our side. Sometimes I wonder why I botherUnhappy.
...and as you can see from the table it�s not looking good...
NrKlub KP
1FC K�benhavn1635
2FC Nordsj�lland
3FC Midtjylland
4 AGF
5AC Horsens
6AaB
7OB
8Silkeborg IF15
9S�nderjyskE
10Br�ndby IF16
Lyngby BK
HB K�ge

Edited by UMUR - 20 Nov 2011 at 1:24pm
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2011 at 2:43am
^^

You're right it doesn't look good.

How many matches are played over the season?
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2011 at 2:58am
16 out of 33.

12 points in 16 games. That spells relegationCry

Edited by UMUR - 21 Nov 2011 at 2:59am
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2011 at 2:59am
Is anyone of you listening to The Guardian's Football Weekly podcast? Brilliant stuff.

BTW, the extreme physicality is one of the things I dislike most about modern football.

I might soon be going to the first game since I moved to France, the PSG - Athletic Bilbao game in the Europa League. If we like the atmosphere and the overall experience we might be going on a regular basis. The ticket prices are a bit steep for me though.

Milan - Barca was brilliant the other day. I also enjoyed Napoli - Man City a lot.

Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2011 at 3:11am
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

Is anyone of you listening to The Guardian's Football Weekly podcast? Brilliant stuff.

BTW, the extreme physicality is one of the things I dislike most about modern football.

I might soon be going to the first game since I moved to France, the PSG - Athletic Bilbao game in the Europa League. If we like the atmosphere and the overall experience we might be going on a regular basis. The ticket prices are a bit steep for me though.

Milan - Barca was brilliant the other day. I also enjoyed Napoli - Man City a lot.

Shocked LOL

Are you winding me up Alex??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic