MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Progressive Metal Discussion Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Progressive Metal Discussion Thread
    Posted: 25 Mar 2010 at 8:17pm
The title says it all - this is a place to discuss progressive metal in general. This is probably my favorite genre of music, combining my love for progressive rock and metal. We can discuss all types of prog metal here - prog death, progressive power metal, traditional prog metal, progressive black metal, ambient prog metal, progressive doom metal, etc....

Let the games begin Big smileRawks
-Jeff

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Any Colour You Like View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Any Colour You Like Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2010 at 11:05pm
Rawks

Avant Metal, Post Metal, Experimental Metal. Yeah, I like them.

Rawks
jampa17 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jampa17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2010 at 9:26am
Rawkslet's say that every post in this thread has to have the metalhead emoticon... and that been said... I love prog metal.. is my favorite sub-genre and there's a lot of great bands out there... just to name a few:

Dream Theater
Angra
Shaaman
Symphony X
Pagan's Mind
Anubis Gate
O.S.I.
Liquid Tension Experiment
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2010 at 1:55pm
im listening to Gojira now and they are awesome, i love their shugging riff, crushing beats and time shifts, great atmosphere, and complex structure.

Gojira is a uniqe band to my ears, they are killer live their drummer is sick (in a positive way), i only have From Mars to Sirius  and absolutly digs its sludgy riffs and colourfull details 

Edited by Balthamel - 26 Mar 2010 at 2:02pm
IknowSATAN View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IknowSATAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2010 at 2:02pm
For me, Opeth has been the band that introduced me to progressive metal, and I love them ! Rawks
NJCat_11 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NJCat_11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2010 at 2:11pm
One of my favorite bands that I learned of through PA is Psychotic Waltz.  Devon Graves, the lead vocalist, has the voice of Bruce Dickenson and plays the flute like Ian Anderson.  It's a perfect combination.

Reminds me of Mike Portnoy  >>> Rawks
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2010 at 2:14pm
Any other Edge of Sanity fans here? I've been a borderline fanboy lately LOL
NecronCommander View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NecronCommander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2010 at 6:07pm
I haven't gotten into Edge of Sanity yet.

I probably prefer experimental metal, post metal, avant garde metal, jazz metal, etc. (all those experimental metal genres) over traditional progressive metal, but I still love all forms of progressive metal.
cold103 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cold103 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2010 at 10:05pm
To me, the most exciting thing that is going on in the prog-metal world right now is that Pain of Salvation are releasing their album "Road Salt - Ivory" soon. Rawks Perhaps in May.

And I guess it's cool that Dream Theater are touring with Iron Maiden in a few months.

Edited by cold103 - 11 Apr 2010 at 11:01pm
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 3:10am
Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

Borderline Jeff???LOL. How about coming out of the closet for real! You love that band.Big smile And oh yeah I�m quite the fan too. I was a gigantic fan in the nineties.
DeathOfSeasons View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeathOfSeasons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 3:49am
When it comes to Progressive Metal (or Metal in general) it doesn't get any better than Sigh. Imaginary Sonicscape is my favourite Progressive Metal album (well, it's tied with Back to Times of Splendor).
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 3:57am
Sigh is a great act. I haven�t listened to Imaginary Sonicscape yet, but it�s next on my list. I�m actually in the process of reviewing Scenario IV: Dread Dreams. I�ve simply started from an end with their discography.
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 4:00am
OPETH yeah
DeathOfSeasons View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeathOfSeasons Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 4:04am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Sigh is a great act. I haven�t listened to Imaginary Sonicscape yet, but it�s next on my list. I�m actually in the process of reviewing Scenario IV: Dread Dreams. I�ve simply started from an end with their discography.
Scenario IV: Dread Dreams is a fantastic album too, definitely their most underrated along with Gallows Gallery. Sigh can really do no wrong.

Oh, and I love your user picture thing. Freakery is a fantastic Grindcore release Big smile
Balthamel View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Balthamel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 6:00am
 I also think some of the material Lamb of God have progmetal credidentlals, mostly their riffs are what i call complex, the drumming is quite impressive, and the overall sound is quite epic.

also LoG is avtuly not no painfull to listen to becouse the production is quite good so you hear all the instruments clearly so you get the neuances
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 8:27am

Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

Borderline Jeff???LOL. How about coming out of the closet for real! You love that band.Big smile And oh yeah I�m quite the fan too. I was a gigantic fan in the nineties.

Alright, I won't try to hide it. LOLTongue

Crimson is in my top 5 albums EVER, and I love all of their other stuff (except for Infernal and Cryptic as well).

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 9:22am
Originally posted by DeathOfSeasons DeathOfSeasons wrote:

Scenario IV: Dread Dreams is a fantastic album too, definitely their most underrated along with Gallows Gallery. Sigh can really do no wrong.

Oh, and I love your user picture thing. Freakery is a fantastic Grindcore release Big smile

LOLDid you know that the frontman is now a woman? Had a sexchange op.. and all. Bizarre stuff. Love that album. It�s such a filthy grindcore album. I guess I�ll have to make a grindcore appreciation thread sometime.
micky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 9:37am
one nice thing .. or a bad thing about the new forum. Inspiration rules...

Raff and I are about to head out shopping LOL and the CD cellar awaits....

lots of albums to be found I haven't heard or owned in years...
CCVP View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CCVP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 11:10am
Those who doesn't like DT and PoS should be cast away into oblivion. Hail the gods of progressive metal Rawks
Logan View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2010 at 11:21am
In the worlds of progressive metal, Kayo Dot's Choirs of the Eye is a stand-out for me as are Taal's albums and Hoyry-Kone (though there we're more Prog than metal).

- -brutalogan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>
  Share Topic