Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Industry finally abandoning CDs ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingcrimsonprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Industry finally abandoning CDs ?
    Posted: 04 Nov 2011 at 7:13am
http://www.side-line.com/news_comments.php?id=46980_0_2_0_C

Quote You read it well. The major labels plan to abandon the CD-format by the end of 2012 (or even earlier) and replace it with download/stream only releases via iTunes and related music services.

Quote We were approached by several people working with major labels, who indeed re-confirm that plans do exist to give up the CD.

Fuck
 Angry

Edited by Kingcrimsonprog - 04 Nov 2011 at 7:15am

My Blog: http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2011 at 7:42am
Personally I don�t appreciate the idea of paying for digital music files. I want something physical in my hands.
Tupan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2011 at 8:02am
^The physical media will not end, but, like happens with the vinyl albums, will appeal only to few people. This means less (and more expensive) CD's in the market.
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2011 at 10:09pm
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

Personally I don�t appreciate the idea of paying for digital music files. I want something physical in my hands.

QFT
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2011 at 10:11pm
I think eliminating CD's entirely would REALLY hurt the music industry... I buy CD's all the time and never purchase MP3's. If the only option is to either download MP3's for free or pay money for them, I have a bad feeling that most people would skip the process of 'buying' music entirely. Ermm
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2011 at 3:25am
Well there would be a reason for finally abandoning the major labels.
<- Click on this!
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2011 at 9:27am
If they think music sales are bad now, phasing out the physical media forms will only make things worse.  More and more stores near where I live that sold CDs are dissapearing already.  I know you can order online from Amazon or other sites, but I've always been a fan of browsing selections at stores even if the selection isn't up to my standards Tongue.  

While I'm probably more open than some about digital releases, I consider myself a collector of music and like having something to hold in my hands.  Unhappy
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2011 at 9:44am
Seen in the perspective of mainstream use-and-throw-away pop culture, it might make sense to do away with physical releases, but the music industry seems to have forgotten that there are large segments out there - and not just in the metal community - who prefer physical releases. Also, there are still many parts of the world where most people do not have access to computers and iPods and what not, which will be excluded completely.
Warthur View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer
Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2011 at 9:54am
I am reasonably sure they are only going to do this for current, mainstream artist's releases. CDs will stick around for sales to people who are unable/unwilling to go the download route, and for musical subcultures which highly prize the album format - like metal and so on.

Over on ProgArchives there was a thread about this where someone posted some very telling statistics - when it comes to albums, CD sales are still by far the majority, but when it comes to singles downloads dominate to a hilarious extent. I would be utterly unsurprised if we saw the demise of the CD single, but the album is going to stick around.
Kingcrimsonprog View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingcrimsonprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2011 at 6:39pm
Ditto on the browsing through a shop's selection, many an hour has been spent by most music fans browsing physical media for fun.

It has made me buy tonnes of albums I never would have even thought to search for online.

My Blog: http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/
genghiscon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote genghiscon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 6:41pm
Im sure I could chalk up a year of my life to haunting the myriad Tower Records, Wherehouse's, Sam Goody's, Virgin Megastores, and countless hole-in-the-wall Mom & Pop record stores over the years.

First no more Vinyl, then no more Cassettes, now no more CDs? Say it aint so, Joe....

F**k. If Don McLean really thought the music died before.......
I got Rock N Roll to save me from the cold, and if thats all there is, that aint so bad. Rock N Roll! - Lemmy
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2011 at 9:34pm
I'M CALLING BULLSHIT HERE!

Where the fuck are the sources?  They say that it's going to happen, but there's no sources or quotes from labels.

This basically killed the credibility:
Quote 3 weeks ago we heard it for the first time and since then we have tried getting some feedback from EMI, Universal and Sony. All declined to comment.

Also:
Quote Update: We were approached by several people working with major labels, who indeed re-confirm that plans do exist to give up the CD. We keep on trying to get an official confirmation, but it seems that the matter is very controversial, especially after Side-Line brought out the story.

They publish the article, THEN look for sources.  Wrong move.

genghiscon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote genghiscon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2011 at 10:29pm
Certainly flies in the face of conventional basic journalism. Although, given how news works in the blogosphere information age, not at all out of the question that it happens.

Still, to echo an earlier poster above, if they think the sales numbers look bleak now, get rid of CDs and see just much worse it gets.

I got Rock N Roll to save me from the cold, and if thats all there is, that aint so bad. Rock N Roll! - Lemmy
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2011 at 12:27am
I don't believe for one second that industry is PANTSONHEAD enough to actually do this.
SKwid View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SKwid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2011 at 8:03pm

Pelata View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pelata Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2012 at 2:58pm
CDs will be abandoned eventually by major labels pushing new music to younger people.

But for Metal and other niche markets, physical product will continue to be manufactured...just in smaller quantities.
The Angry Scotsman View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Angry Scotsman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2012 at 12:00am
I do like physical CDs, because I'm old school and like having the collection, but I am also progressive Shocked and accept that yeah, the future will generally be the end of the CD and honestly I'm ok with it. If I was bored enough I'd see if I still have a short paper I wrote for an econ class LOL about why file sharing is good and the future of the industry.

Part of what I said is kind of along the lines of others here, maybe for major labels the CD will come to an end but they WILL continue to be made...maybe by the bands themselves or smaller labels, which is cool since there is more opportunity for bands to not try and "make" it. They can play what they want and it'll be easier to get their shit out there!
Megadeth, Metallica, Slayer and Testament. The real Big Four of thrash metal!

Listen to doom metal, worship Satan
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic