Forum Home Forum Home >Other music related lounges >General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Albums You Think Are Absolutely Perfect

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingcrimsonprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Albums You Think Are Absolutely Perfect
    Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 7:06pm

The following, for those of you who don�t read titles, is a List of what I�d consider to be �Perfect Albums.� What I mean by this is that the albums don�t contain any bad songs and nothing about them whatsoever annoys me.

This is different from stating a list of my favourite albums, because many of my favourite albums have some absolutely amazing highlights but unfortunately feature some filler, or one really annoying interlude, or bad lyrics� or some other key flaw that means that while they may still be one of the best albums around, they aren�t a perfect album.

Some of my favourite bands never made a perfect album despite me thinking of them more highly in general than some of the bands who have.

Anyway; In my opinion, the following are all Perfect Albums:

1. Dozer � Through The Eyes Of Heathens : Though I�ve only owned it for a relatively short period of time, there isn�t one riff, vocal line or drum fill on this that I don�t love, it all fits together well with an excellent flow and it is a really difficult album to stop listening to once you have started.

2. Rishloo � Eidolon: I think it may be both a perfect album and their best album as well, although Feathergun is still amazing too. The songs are so well written, memorable and the performance is just great, same goes for the lyrics and production. This album has no flaws.

3. Anthrax � Among The Living : One of the band�s more popular releases and for good reason, though I may slightly prefer �Disease or �Time for their highlights, they aren�t perfect albums like this is. No filler, classic songs, great musicianship.

4. Chimaira � The Infection: The best album in there career, and yet everyone seemed to either dislike it or allow it to pass them by unnoticed. Dispite this bizarre case of mass fan exodus; The Infection is a flawless album from start to finish, consisting of all the best bits of Chimaira�s sound for a full album� so many memorable moments, so many great riffs, so little filler.

5. Arctic Monekys � Whatever People Say I Am That�s What I�m Not: What single second of this album isn�t good ? None !

6. Five Finger Death Punch � Their Heaviest album, the one with the best/least worst lyrics, the least cheesy choruses and the only one not over polished in the studio. All three of their albums are good, but this one is the only one that is perfect. Another album that is difficult not to just listen to all of, once you�ve started.

7. Hatebreed � Hatebreed : Like The Infection, the perfect encapsulation of everything the band do, distilled perfectly into a creative and engaging album on which every track is great, the sequence is perfect, the production is flawless and it still brings something new to the band�s sound even with all that going on.

8. Mastodon � Blood Mountain and Crack The Skye: Leviathan just missed out because I sometimes go through moods of Disliking �Island,� but it is very close to inclusion too. I don�t really need to describe the following two releases at all to anyone reading this blog.

9. Pearl Jam � Backspacer : I can�t think of a single problem with this album right now, it is such a great piece of work and possibly their best to date.

10. Green Day � Insomniac : Doesn�t have the biggest hit singles or the most ideas, but it doesn�t have any flaws or any filler either, just a succinct and enjoyable collection of good songs.

11. Lamb Of God � Wrath, Sacrament and Ashes� : Lamb Of God are one of the very few bands to ever make more than one perfect album in my eyes. Listening to all three of these records there just isn�t anything wrong with them.

12. Judas Priest � This isn�t actually my favourite Judas Priest album, despite it principally being one of the main reasons that I tried the band out. I like other albums better based on the highlights sure, but no other Priest album is so focused, precise and �perfect.

13. Down � Over The Under: There just isn�t anything wrong with this record at all, I can�t really go into it any further than that without repeating myself.

14. Pantera � Reinventing The Steel: See my review for further information.

15. Jetplane Landing � Once Like A Spark: There was one year, back when I was still at school when I listened to this at least once every day for a whole term.

There were a few records that came close to inclusion, but may have been a bit overlong, a bit too short, had weak production or even one really stupid lyric that spoiled the inclusion, one album (GG-TPATG) even lost out due to it running order, which had it been the same songs in a different sequence would be a perfect album. The biggest problem I had was not including Kyuss�s Welcome To Sky Valley, which I felt like it�d be hypocritical to allow in with the exception that I hate the hidden album closer �Lick Do.�

Runner�s up included Architect�s The Here And Now, Dio�s Holy Diver, Led Zeppelin 4, Gentle Giant�s The Power And The Glory, Fear Factory�s Demanufacture, Kiss�s Sonic Boom, Marilyn Manson�s Holywood and Napalm Death�s Harmony Corruption.

One observation I have made when compiling this, is that not a lot of albums from the 1970s ever managed to come out free from either filler or at least one song that I dislike. Some really great classic rock and prog albums always have one flaw or another that denies them perfect status.
Pink Floyd�s Dark Side Of The Moon, Wish You Were Here and Animals all seem like they should be on here too, but for some unknowable reason I can�t seem to add them, so they must have some flaw somewhere I perceive� even though I can�t seem to perceive it� as stupid as that sounds.

Comments, Observations and your own lists are welcome.

My Blog: http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 7:15pm
Choirs of the Eye.
Diogenes View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diogenes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 7:31pm
This list was originally twice as long, but these are the only albums I wouldn't change a single thing about:

Death - Symbolic.  Revolutionary and the pinnacle of extreme metal.  Probably won't be topped any time soon, or ever.
Amorphis - Skyforger.  Gets better every time I listen to it, and that's a lot!
Devin Townsend - Ocean Machine: Biomech.  The best thing he's ever done, which is saying something.  It flows unlike any album I've ever heard.
Porcupine Tree - The Sky Moves Sideways.  Out-Floyding Floyd.  I think I'm the only person out there who likes this era of PT more than their current.
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here.  Not much to say except that it's aged like fine wine.  Still sounds fresh somehow.
Explosions in the Sky - The Earth is Not a Cold Dead Place.  There aren't enough adjectives in the English language to describe how much I love this album.  Best post-rock album by far.

J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 7:56pm
Pain Of Salvation The Perfect Element Part 1 album cover

Probably the only absolutely 100% perfect album I've ever heard. Try as I might, I can't find a single flaw here. Bowdown
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2011 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by Diogenes Diogenes wrote:

Death - Symbolic.  Revolutionary and the pinnacle of extreme metal.  Probably won't be topped any time soon, or ever.

I think I agree with this statement
arcane-beautiful View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arcane-beautiful Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011 at 12:38am
Rust In Peace and Pain Of Salvations Be are one of the only 2 that come in to my mind. If I think of any more I'll reply back
Xaxaar View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xaxaar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011 at 2:15am
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Choirs of the Eye.

And that's basically it for 'perfect' albums, although other things come deathly close.
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011 at 3:12am
I can make long explanations to why the below albums are perfect from by point of view, but I�ll keep it short. These albums are not only among my favorite metal albums but they are perfect beyond being just favorites. They are all albums with no filler whatsoever and they all greatly move me.
.. Album Cover
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/psychotic-waltz--into-the-everflow.aspx
.. Album Cover
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/atheist--unquestionable-presence.aspx
.. Album Cover
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/cynic--focus.aspx
.. Album Cover
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/slayer--reign-in-blood.aspx
.. Album Cover
http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/metallica--master-of-puppets.aspx
.. Album Cover
.. Album Cover
.. Album Cover

Edited by UMUR - 31 Oct 2011 at 3:19am
Any Colour You Like View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Any Colour You Like Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011 at 5:05am
I can think of a few

Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Pink Floyd - Animals
Opeth - Still Life
Kayo Dot - Choirs of the Eye
Agalloch - The Mantle

There are heaps of others that come close, but those five are my god-tier.
Kingcrimsonprog View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingcrimsonprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011 at 5:40am
Master Of Puppets and Reign In Blood were both close for me, but both lost out by a nose hair.

My Blog: http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011 at 5:49am
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011 at 5:56am
Priest - Unleashed In The East
Metallica - AJFA
John Arch - A Twist Of Fate
Fates Warning - Parallels
FNM - The Real Thing
Sepultura - Arise
Tupan View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tupan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011 at 8:04am
Sepultura - Chaos AD
Metallica - Master of puppets
Random - Todos. os Colores Del
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of The Moon
Genesis - Selling England By the Pound
Rush - A Farewell to Kings
Maudlin of The Well - Part The Second
Angra - Temple of Shadows

None from Maiden, 'cause they are ALMOST perfect
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011 at 10:32am
Four definites for me without thinking about it:
Metallica - Master Of Puppets
King Crimson - Larks Tongues In Aspic
King Crimson - Red
Miles Davis - Kind Of Blue

+ At least 1/2 the albums I've given 5 stars to here (some probably do have flaws that I choose to ignore Big smile)

I always blank on some obvious ones when trying to fill out a list like this, so I'll come back to this as I think of more.

Since lists have already deviated from metal, I'll move this topic to one of the general music forums.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2011 at 5:11pm
I guess I can come up with some more, especially if we are listing non-metal albums

The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady (Mingus)
A Love Supreme (Coltrane)
Get Up With It (Davis)
Zeit (Tangerine Dream)
In Den Gartens Pharaos (Popol Vuh)
In The L...L...Library Loft (Toby Driver)
Panopticon and Oceanic (Isis)
Jean Louis (Jean Louis)
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2011 at 7:03pm

From metal albums:

-  Therion: Secret of the Runes.
-  Within Temptation:  Mother Earth.
-  Apocalyptica:  Cult, Reflections.
-  Nightwish:  Highest Hopes (yes, a best of album).
-  Led Zeppelin:  IV (well, not metal, but they are widely considered as one of the main precursors of metal).

Though I might say Dream Theater is among my very favourite bands, there's no album from them that I really like from start to end.

Some prog albums that I would consider perfect:
-  Pink Floyd:  Wish you were Here, Animals, The Division Bell.  Live in Pompeii (though this is a video instead of a sole music CD... but indeed I wish it was available as CD too).  Dark Side of the Moon I would say almost perfect (On the Run and Money bring it down a bit).
-  Yes:  Fragile, Close to the Edge.
-  King Crimson:  In the Court of the Crimson King almost perfect (the long noodling in Moonchild bring it down a bit).
-  Rick Wakeman:  Six Wives of Henry the VIII, Myths and Legends of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table, Out There.  Perhaps even some albums like Stella Bianca a la Corte di Re Ferdinand, and Songs from Middle Earth, which are not quiet as stellar as other albums, but every song is enjoyable and nice.
-  Focus:  Hamburger Concerto.
-  Anglagard:  Hybris.
-  Triana: El Patio, Hijos del Agobio. 
-  Le Orme: Felona e Sorona.
-  Metamorphosi:  Inferno.
-  Transatlantic:  The Whirlwind.
-  Cast: Originalis.

Not metal (nor prog):
-  Cat Stevens:  Tea for the Tillerman.

Well... I didn't expect to get so many albums into the list, but once I started going I remembered more and more and couldn't leave them out.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2011 at 7:05pm
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

-  Cat Stevens:  Tea for the Tillerman.

Yes!! There's another one for me. Smile
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2011 at 3:30am
I'm going to stick with metal releases for this one (and it's not exhaustive - I might add to it later):

In part driven by a fanboyism that�ll never go away, but still I think these albums are no less than awesome. They are loaded with hits, and even the fillers are top notch.

"Dirty Deeds..." might not belong to the same category of mega-hit albums as the others, but it is still - like the other albums - one of those albums where I simply like all the songs on it. Part of the attraction factor is also that it is kind of obscure and has a gritty heavy sound.

With its totally unique sounds and nearly superhuman musicianship (and not a single weak moment), this album is no less than perfect.

First off, there are no weak tunes on the albums. Secondly, both albums are very innovative. Thirdly, they sound very different from each other.

"Master..." is probably the most important thrash metal album ever, and one major factor is probably the ultra-dubbed crushingly brutal guitar sound. "Justice" may not be perfect production-wise, but I really love how every single song is a pure riff-fest.

The epitome of epic doom metal with soaring vocals by Rob Lowe and big, yet depressive, songs.

Probably the best tech thrash releases of the 90s.

An album that I never get tired of listening to - has no tracks that I do not enjoy.

Blackmore + Dio = perfection

Another pair of albums where all songs are fully enjoyable (and especially the presence of Zonder's drumming and Alder's vocals make these two releases perfect).

"Painkiller" should be a no-brainer, but "Turbo" might need some explaining. It's true that it is much more pop-oriented, but compared to all other pop metal releases of that decade, "Turbo" was head and shoulders above in terms of musicianship and songwriting.

Simple, heavy, and groovy

Both releases are unique, innovative and groundbreaking.

Edited by Time Signature - 08 Nov 2011 at 3:32am
Woutjinho View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Woutjinho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2011 at 3:45pm
@Kingcrimsonprog: Weird to see you don't have Mastodon - Leviathan in your list because of Island. Because Island was one of my fav. of the album. Though, I wouldn't say it is perfect.
Nice to see Dozer as well. Never heard the entire album really. Seen them and heard some songs which were cool. (care to share perhaps?)

And I would change Metallica - Master Of Puppets by shorten every song like 2 minutes. Or leave out the 3rd couplet. To me the album takes too long.

My perfect list: Pig Destroyer - Prowler In The Yard. Grindcore. First grindcore I've heard and has been one of my fav. all this time.
Morbid Angel - Altars Of Madness. Cool and occult.
Slayer - Hell Awaits. Evil and satanic thrash. I think this has a better sound than their jewel, Reign In Blood.
Ulcerate - Everything Is Fire. Great Atmospheric brutal death metal.
Suffocation - Effigy Of The Forgotten and Human Waste.
Cephalotripsy - Uterovaginal Insertion of Extirpated Anomalies. Slamming brutality at it's best.
Doomster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doomster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2012 at 2:55pm
Hmmm let's see...the Dwelling by Sabbat comes to mind the most. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic