Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Live Performance Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Exhumed/Cephalic Carnage, The Rock, Copenhagen

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Exhumed/Cephalic Carnage, The Rock, Copenhagen
    Posted: 13 Oct 2011 at 4:48am

Exhumed/Cephalic Carnage, The Rock, Copenhagen, Denmark 12th of Oct. 2011

On a cold and windy October night I went with a couple of buddies to see EXHUMED and CEPHALIC CARNAGE at The Rock in Copenhagen, Denmark. Both Relapse Records signed artists have existed since the early- to mid nineties and have released a considerable number of releases. EXHUMED are usually labelled goregrind or deathgrind while CEPHALIC CARNAGE belong to the more experimental side of extreme metal, mixing deathcore, metalcore, sludge, avant garde, progressive grindcore and melodic death metal influences into a sound that�s unmistakably their own.

Cephalic Carnage

First band on stage was CEPHALIC CARNAGE and boy did they make an entrance. After playing a couple of shorter grinding tracks, the band really began to show how diverse their music is but also how great performers they are. The show turned out to be one long display in technical virtuosity, great humorous talking between songs, excellent interaction with the audience (which is admirable since there were very few people present at the venue this night. I�d say about 100 people) and a tour de force through various extreme metal music styles delivered with conviction and great passion (I think the highlight was "Piecemaker" from "Anomalies (2005)"). Some of the most busy parts of the band�s songs sounded a bit chaotic because the sound wasn�t top notch but it was still possible to tell which songs where being played. besides excellent musicianship CEPHALIC CARNAGE�s greatest strength is their humour and how they interact with each other on stage. Lead vocalist Lenzig Leal and bassist/vocalist Nick Schendzielos had some crazy dialogue going and especially the latter mentioned was really active during the concert with various spastic excursions around stage. towards the end of the concert the band suddenly wore parody black metal masks and almost made me choke with laughter. Both my two buddies, who didn�t know the band�s music before the concert, and I had a great time and we were all smiles and praises when the concert ended.

Exhumed

After a short break EXHUMED, who I understand visited Denmark for the first time, entered the stage. It soon became apparent that the band are well playing (that drummer blasted away with tight precision) and passionate about their music, but also that the band�s music is a bit one-dimensional. The songs are a bit hard to tell apart if you are not familiar with the band�s discography and all tracks have a very similar structure and sound. Songs like "Death Knell" and "I Rot Within" from the new album "All Guts, No Glory (2011)" did stand out sligthly though. Unfortunately the sound wasn�t too clear (and a bit too loud) and that didn�t help bring justice to the band�s material either (Matt Harvey�s guitar solos completely drowned. I wasn�t able to hear a single note he played). I think the band did what they should and could before a less then enthusiastic crowd (only a few people moshed in front of the stage, and only occasionally) and all in all they left a good impression despite a few issues.

Exhumed MMA profile: http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/exhumed.aspx?ac=exhumed

Cephalic Carnage MMA profile: http://www.metalmusicarchives.com/cephalic-carnage.aspx?ac=cephalic

(The pictures are not from the actual concert. If anyone owns the rights to the pictures and wish them removed, please PM me)

Edited by UMUR - 13 Oct 2011 at 8:58am
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2011 at 10:17am
I don't listen to this type of music.........but gotta give em thumbs up for their attire!!! Thumbs Up 

Scorps rule!
US Festival '83 "Heavy Metal Sunday" Survivor....
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic