Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Music Organization OCD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingcrimsonprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Music Organization OCD
    Posted: 02 Oct 2011 at 7:10am
Anybody else here get really anal and specific about how they organize their music ?

With phyical cds, I used to like to arrange them first by priority of chronological order, within band, arranged beside similar sounding bands or shared members, within sub-genre, within genre,

Now I've moved to chronological order within band, by alphabetical.

In iTunes, for double albums I remove CD number and reorder the tracks so its all one album of 25 tracks or whatever.

I use the comments to add specific things things like 'club,' 'David Bottrill,' 'East Coast,' 'Bay Area,' 'Featuring such and such a guest artist,' 'Cover of such and such an artist,' and then create dozens of smart-playlists based around the comments sections, and those smart playlists are arranged in folders.

The folders are based around producers, statistics, situational, greatest hits, popularity, decades (eg. 70s, 80s, 90s,), my library over time (eg, when specifically I got each album and what I could listen to back in 2003 or whatever), Covers of specific bands (eg. Judas Priest covers, Iron maiden Covers, Black Sabbath Covers)

Most importantly, I rename every single album with '01, 02, 03,' in front of it, eg. '01. Show No Mercy,' and '11. God Hates Us All,' so that they are always chronological and can never slip into alphabetical.

When I have all of them renamed and commented on, I go and 'create mp3 version,' and delete the old version, so that if my itunes ever crashes again, all of this can be set up again in 1 hour instead of 10 weeks.

Anybody else do anything similar ?

My Blog: http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2011 at 8:19am
I doubt it. LOL

But I do have a particular way of organizing my vast CD collection. I organize them alphabetically by artist, and then within each artist category I organize their discography chronologically. I don't care that much about how my MP3 library looks, but I am VERY particular about my CD collection. 
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
adg211288 View Drop Down
Forum Admin Group
Forum Admin Group
Black Metal, Prog/AG Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote adg211288 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2011 at 8:23am
Originally posted by J-Man J-Man wrote:

I doubt it. LOL

But I do have a particular way of organizing my vast CD collection. I organize them alphabetically by artist, and then within each artist category I organize their discography chronologically. I don't care that much about how my MP3 library looks, but I am VERY particular about my CD collection. 

Exactly the same as me.
Earn Money Online (NOT a scam):
GG2U

Adam's Film Corner on Quora
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator/Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2011 at 10:22am
I don't have the space to be very organizational about my CDs/vinyl.  It's a pain to re-sort them when my albums are literally stacking on top of each other. LOL

If I had the space, I'd get some nice shelving for my CD's and organize by alphabetical order and then by chronological order.  I don't need to make any hard decisions about what genre something goes in.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2011 at 3:48pm
When I was a little kid Big smile I used to organzie my vinyl and cassette tapes by artist/release date. I had a rolodex on my desk with all the titles, song list by album. So my friends could come over and we could go thru that instead of flipping all the vinyl.
Then the CD came along and I just filed them by artist......and then the family came and it all went to krapp, no time to spend on the music collection.
Now with digital, I use Zune software which I LOVE as I can change the metadata to my own liking. For example I generally change the genre on everything I download to fit my tastes. My vinyl I still file the same way......Artist/release date, in boxes I make to fit perfectly....storage boxes online are too expensive.

So I guess I am coming full circle as I am acting like that kid again.........which is really fun!
US Festival '83 "Heavy Metal Sunday" Survivor....
Andyman1125 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2011 at 8:06pm
I don't care about my meager physical collection being organized, because most of the time I listen to my physicals as digital files.

However, my mp3 collection is arranged by sub-sub (and in some cases sub-sub-sub) genre, alphabetically, with each folder and file name in a specific format.

So yea, you could say I'm OCD.
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2011 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

When I was a little kid Big smile I used to organzie my vinyl and cassette tapes by artist/release date. I had a rolodex on my desk with all the titles, song list by album. So my friends could come over and we could go thru that instead of flipping all the vinyl.
Then the CD came along and I just filed them by artist......and then the family came and it all went to krapp, no time to spend on the music collection.
Now with digital, I use Zune software which I LOVE as I can change the metadata to my own liking. For example I generally change the genre on everything I download to fit my tastes. My vinyl I still file the same way......Artist/release date, in boxes I make to fit perfectly....storage boxes online are too expensive.

So I guess I am coming full circle as I am acting like that kid again.........which is really fun!

Zune FTW!! Approve
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2011 at 8:35pm
My iTunes is organized but that's about it.  I guess with music I'm considerably less OCD than I am about everything else.
Any Colour You Like View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Any Colour You Like Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2011 at 10:48pm
I used to be serial-killer OCD about organising my itunes, then I got a life.
Colt View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2011 at 2:47am
Originally posted by Any Colour You Like Any Colour You Like wrote:

LOL

In which case I have OCD and proudly lost my life to music decades ago.

Unfortunately, I have just lost an argument with my better half to set aside another wall for shelving to house my next line of album purchases. C'est la vie!

UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2011 at 3:29am
Originally posted by Colt Colt wrote:

Originally posted by Any Colour You Like Any Colour You Like wrote:

LOL

In which case I have OCD and proudly lost my life to music decades ago.

Unfortunately, I have just lost an argument with my better half to set aside another wall for shelving to house my next line of album purchases. C'est la vie!

...oh man I know that situationSmile. I have a couple of large boxes of CDs in my basement because the wife don�t think we have room in our flat.

I have several parallel systems to organize my music and they are probably not easy to understand for anyone but myself. My vinyls are placed in alphabetical order. My CDs are placed in four catagories which are then put in system alphabetically:

Progressive rock/metal
Metal
hard rock/metal
anything else

But since I have a lot of CDs I haven�t placed yet I also have stacks of CDs in my bedroom, by my working place and in a closet.

If I ever get around to it, I think I�ll just place them alphabetically. The genre division don�t work anymore.

In addition to physical media I have quite a lot of digital releases. They are sorted alphabetically.
Warthur View Drop Down
MMA Metal Reviewer
MMA Metal Reviewer
Metal Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Warthur Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2011 at 6:25am
I have an honest to goodness spreadsheet I use to keep track of what I've got - I also use it to keep track of what video games, books, and DVDs/Blu-Rays I own. (There is a point to this beyond simple OCD - setting it up this way means that if I lend something out to people, I can note it down on the spreadsheet, so I always know who's got what.).
Wilytank View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wilytank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2011 at 8:01am
I organize my music by band and by the band's chronological releases.  Don't exactly care beyond that.
Kingcrimsonprog View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kingcrimsonprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2011 at 8:28am
Originally posted by Warthur Warthur wrote:

I have an honest to goodness spreadsheet I use to keep track of what I've got - I also use it to keep track of what video games, books, and DVDs/Blu-Rays I own. (There is a point to this beyond simple OCD - setting it up this way means that if I lend something out to people, I can note it down on the spreadsheet, so I always know who's got what.).

Ha, I have something similar.
Less organized than a spread sheet, but it is a record of my stuff

http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/the-collection/

My Blog: http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/
UMUR View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UMUR Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2011 at 9:27am
I generally don�t lend out anything from my collection.Stern Smile I guess I�m a bit touchy about my music collection or maybe I�m just wiser now that I�m older. I used to lend out both vinyls and CDs to mates, but some were never returned and I�m still pissed about it.
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2011 at 10:00am
Originally posted by UMUR UMUR wrote:

I generally don�t lend out anything from my collection.Stern Smile I guess I�m a bit touchy about my music collection or maybe I�m just wiser now that I�m older. I used to lend out both vinyls and CDs to mates, but some were never returned and I�m still pissed about it.

I never lend out my music much any more (except to my brother usually).  Unfortunately, the majority of people I know just download illegally what they want most of the time Unhappy.  

My problem comes with DVDs.  I had a friend who would always return one I'd lend him in much worse shape than when I initially lend it in.  I'm even having DVD problems in my own house.  My younger sister would often borrow something, and I could never find it after then.  Right now, I'm still looking for an old Horror film DVD-set, The Omega Man, and Return Of The Jedi Angry.  
Stooge View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stooge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2011 at 10:02am
Originally posted by Kingcrimsonprog Kingcrimsonprog wrote:

Originally posted by Warthur Warthur wrote:

Ha, I have something similar.
Less organized than a spread sheet, but it is a record of my stuff

http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/the-collection/

I also have a spreadsheet, but for my hard copies of music only.  I'll start up a DVD file one day, which will be especially useful for when I lend something out.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Errors and Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2011 at 10:19am
My CDs are in alphabetical order by artist and then alphabetical order by album.  I am constantly working on entering my CDs in a Microsoft Access database.  I entered them A to Z, but everytime I get finished with Zs I have to go back and enter my new purchases, so I've never really caught up and gotten everything entered.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2011 at 7:59pm
my old drummer still has my Magma dvd...
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andyman1125 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2011 at 8:02pm
Dude, you've been talking about that since like March. LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic