MetalMusicArchives.com Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home >Metal Music Lounges >Metal Music Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Doom Metal Reccomendations

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FusionKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Doom Metal Reccomendations
    Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 4:17pm
Could anyone reccomend me some Doom Metal albums? Been listening to some Candlemass, Krux, Reverend Bizzare, Pentagram and Acid King on Last fm/Youtube lately and I like what I've heard so far... But I'd like to know what would be a good buy. Big smile
dean View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 4:25pm
Catherdral Approve

dean View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 4:28pm
^ sorry, forgot to recommend "The Carnival Bizarre" CD as the one to get Embarrassed
J-Man View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 5:13pm
My Dying Bride!!!! Rawks
Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
Sleeper View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sleeper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 7:41pm
I dont have much doom, but what I've got I like

My Dying Bride- For Lies I Sire
Virgin Black- Somber Romantic, Elegant... and Dying, Requiem Mezzo Forte, Requiem Fortissimo
Katatonia- Dance of December Souls
kshskang View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kshskang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 7:48pm
October Tide's "Rain Without End" is amazingly good. Get it now if you haven't done so already
thellama73 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thellama73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2010 at 7:50pm
The Mighty Nimbus! (see my review) oh my God they're good.
Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2010 at 4:13am
Reverend Bizarre's last studio album III: So Long Suckers is great.

Swallow the Sun mixes doom and death and whatnot and does it wonderfully. Their debut The Morning Never Came is probably the doomiest of their albums, but they seem to be just getting better all the time.
<- Click on this!
progkidjoel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progkidjoel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2010 at 6:20pm
I definitely second My Dying Bride and Swallow The Sun, really good entry points to the genre.
Any Colour You Like View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Any Colour You Like Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2010 at 1:53am
The Morningside are an amazing doom/death band from Russia. Post-Metallish riffs and heavy structures, all wrapped up in a nature based facade. If you like Agalloch, you will like them.
aapatsos View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aapatsos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2010 at 1:45pm
Solitude Aeturnus - Adagio
Sckxyss View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sckxyss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2010 at 1:25am
I'm no expert on the genre, but Electric Wizard is some damn good Stoner/Doom metal.
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2010 at 4:04am
You've already mentioned Candlesmass, but I'll just recommend a bunch of their albums anyway which I think are absolutely brilliant: "Epicus Doomicus Metallicus", "Ancient Dreams", "Tales of Creation", "King of the Grey Islands", "Death magic Doom". I'd also recommend Solitude Aeturnus' "Into the Depths of Sorrow", "Beyond the Crimson Horizon" (my fave), and "Alone". Candlemass and Solitude Aeuturnus are more epically inclined. I guess I'd also recommend "Mandylion" by The Gathering, although it is probably categorized as gothic metal these days. The same goes for Paradise Lost's "Draconian Times".  If you like really heavy stuff, then you might be interested in Cathedral's debut album "Forest of Equilibrium" or Winter's "Into Darkness" or in the work of Saturnus. There's also Nortt's extremely dark funeral doom.
alberto mu�oz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alberto mu�oz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2010 at 1:52pm
Saint Vitus
LoudTrax.com View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LoudTrax.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2010 at 1:21pm
Have you heard Bison B.C.?  They're Thrash / Doom, very cool.  Saw them live with Shadows Fall.  Guys are cool, from Vancouver.  They're on touring with High On Fire, and with Priestess.

here's a link with their 2 albums, http://www.loudtrax.com/Artist/Bisonbc

and here's a You Tube link with my favorite track from them:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLVqL0UINdA&feature=related

LoudTrax.com - Rock, Metal, Punk downloads
Time Signature View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Time Signature Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2010 at 1:33pm
Here's one for you collctors of rare items: Morfeus - they were an underground doom band in the 90s and released a couple of demo tapes. Eventually they changed to melodic death metal and changed their name to Mindmare (by that time there were no original members left). Mindmare are still active.
elder08 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elder08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2010 at 2:01pm
open your refrigerator and hook a mic up to an amp and place the amp near the refrigerator
I scrolled through the offended page and listened to cannibal corpse while masturbating.-elder08
NecronCommander View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NecronCommander Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2010 at 11:31am
Originally posted by elder08 elder08 wrote:

open your refrigerator and hook a mic up to an amp and place the amp near the refrigerator

Lol.

I have a couple recommendations of some lesser-known bands.

My first would be Giant Squid, a progressive-doom metal band from California, and a personal favorite of mine.  They're relatively new, and just released their second album (The Ichthyologist) last year, although I would recommend their first album, Metridium Fields.  Imagine a mix between sludgy-doom riffs, progressive experimentation, Serj Tankian-esque vocals, and some post-rock tendencies with longer compositions and echoey guitars all leading up to epic, doomy finales.  Check it out:

Some other good songs: Versus the Siren, Ampullae of Lorenzini

Another favorite of mine is a German band called Ahab, who play a kind of funeral doom metal that's incredibly massive and heavy, with slow-churning riffs, low guitars, and deep, gutteral vocals with lots of oceanic themes.  Highly recommended for more traditional doom metal fans.

Also, if you aren't listening to Sunn O))) yet, you should do that too.

Edited by NecronCommander - 24 Apr 2010 at 11:32am
kshskang View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kshskang Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2010 at 9:49pm
Dude, hell yeah. Ahab is awesome!
Pekka View Drop Down
MMA Special Collaborator
MMA Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pekka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2010 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by progkidjoel progkidjoel wrote:

I definitely second My Dying Bride and Swallow The Sun, really good entry points to the genre.

I didn't know you listened to Swallow the Sun Clap
<- Click on this!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic